18" wheels too big for lighter riders?

jancellor

If you want to ride 100km at a time then obviously you need a large battery wheel but I'm curious where you're planning on riding in the UK for 100km? you do know that it's illegal to ride on the roads with these things? of course we all still ride but if you're riding for 100km then your chances of being stopped go up considerably. If you're planing on lifting the wheel up stairs at any point then just remember that these wheels weigh more than a maxed out suitcase for air travel. Also remember that going into shops or crowded coffee places then it's going to be more difficult with the bigger wheel. I think you should at least say what you want the wheel for - are the majority of your trips 100km? could you combine public transport and a slightly smaller wheel?

On 3/22/2020 at 7:53 PM, Unventor said:

Remember you do this with no shoes on. I am not the good looking. But this was a random video I found o  YouTube. 

You can find these at most sports shop. No need to buy the most expensive one. It might look fancier but all do the same more or less.  Mine was about 20-30€.

You just do this for 5-15min and repeat this over the day as much as you find time for. Remember body needs to recover so a break is helpful as you get more advanced to can pick up the pace. 

Since I am on virus recommended lockdown. I am going to pick up this training again as I am to build up my left leg so I can train for ambidextorious mounting and dismounting. 

Next step is lean backwards balance to a sitting like position as post reverse training. 

Now you said you had issues with feets. I had this too at some point. The problem was inflammation of achilles tendon. To fix this you need to stretch this often. Training will not fix it. 

Step away from the wall. Then lean forward putting you hand up near your shoulders(arms bend) the one foot extended backwards with stretch leg and flat footed. The other leg bend a step forward. The put the weight on the rear leg to stretch and hold it like20-40 sec. Increase distance to the wall. (Another random video showing this).

I keep getting this too if I paused my riding for a few weeks and then ride far first off. It can be very annoying but it improves fast with repeated stretching like in the video. Another that helps. Wear shoes that support your angle. 

Oh, great stuff. I was almost about to go grumpy curmudgeon on the balance mat thing but that actually looks like a really good idea. :P

On 3/22/2020 at 8:01 PM, bigwave said:

I did it the other way around. I learned on an 18XL and then got a Mten3. The Mten3 is a blast to ride. I found initially mounting the Mten3 was much more difficult but that only lasted a short time. The 18XL basically rides itself! It is so balanced and smooth!

On 3/22/2020 at 8:11 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

I learned as Bigwave did, on an 18, then got an mten. I think the 18 DID take more muscle as I was learning, but i didnt know any differently, so it conditioned me while I learned. I think this is a good thing, IF you meet the basic minimum muscle ability to do it enough to also learn it. I could see that the mten took a LOT less muscle ability to ride it. Not less skill, but actual strength and tone. The mten seems MUCH more likely to bite me when it falls over and spins. The 18 seems to know when its fallen, much more accurately.  Perhaps the mten is a better choice for any of those that suffer from excessively dormant legs. The real key is to get over that first hurdle of conditioning and learning, before you give up. I dont think its a simple matter of 'i weigh this much and THIS wheel fits my weight". I think its more a matter of various conditions, none the least: your mentality. If you THINK a smaller wheel will be easier...... IT WILL BE! A side effect of riding my mten a lot, my 18L feels even better! After maxing out the speed on the twitchy mten, a much larger wheel just seems like cake.

It's funny how people can have radically different experiences and perceptions. :P I'm looking forward to getting where you folks are. :)

13 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

Oh, great stuff. I was almost about to go grumpy curmudgeon on the balance mat thing but that actually looks like a really good idea. :P

Sorry I just tried to share what helped me to speed up the process and move on to the fun part, enjoy riding after the initial learning steps.

I had the more or less same challenges but for different reasons. Should you test out my tips I would love to hear if it worked out for you to. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Sorry I just tried to share what helped me to speed up the process and move on to the fun part, enjoy riding after the initial learning steps.

I had the more or less same challenges but for different reasons. Should you test out my tips I would love to hear if it worked out for you to. 

Oh don't be sorry, I mean it when I say that is a really good idea. :P In fact I'm looking at devices now on Amazon. I realized while watching that video that such a mat could be a real boon for my mother as well.

Cheers

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Roadpower said:

It's funny how people can have radically different experiences and perceptions. :P I'm looking forward to getting where you folks are. :)

I think this comes down to having control on a bigger wheel take a little more force in the learning process but the when you relax more it helps out with stability.

Where a lightweight smaller wheel will be very nimble and the feel as if it all over the place as you use too much force to control it. 

Eventually both becomes a body extension and you just step up and ride. Maybe with a small readjustment period.

The 3 wheels I currently own are different feel in all. But it not an issues. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I think this comes down to having control on a bigger wheel take a little more force in the learning process but the when you relax more it helps out with stability. Where a lightweight smaller wheel will be very nimble and the feel as if it all over the place as you use too much force to control it. Eventually both becomes a body extension and you just step up and ride. Maybe with a small readjustment period.

The 3 wheels I currently own are different feel in all. But it not an issues. 

Yes, I am seeing exactly the things you mention here. The small wheel is extremely reactive so relaxing and not over controlling seems to work better for me for my current level of ability. I can readily see that the differences between the wheel sizes and types are going to be appreciable.

@Unventor re the tire shape, my understanding from the 16X tire thread was that the first batch CX tire was more l_l shaped and had the "gyro" feel (resisted leaning into turns) and the second batch with the CYT (ChaoYang H-5167) tire was more U shaped and much more similar to the 18XL in feel. (Doesn't matter whether it was the shape or something else I suppose but the difference was there.) I know you were involved in that thread. Anyway I just want to inlcude that useful link here for those making the same decision. Actually for this reason I am more likely to grab the 16X now.

Thanks @Mike Sacristan . Your videos have been helpful too.

@mike_bike_kite I believe the legal situation is more of an issue for you in London with the Met than anywhere else in the UK. I guess I would just be cruising anywhere I might go on my bicycle. Very hard to say.

Anyway my concerns about the size of the 18XL (when riding) are gone and I'm just in the same 18XL/16X boat that lots of other people are in which has plenty of dedicated threads.

• Like 1