Converting from OW to V10 EUC

Greetings riders. 

I have a new V10 coming in the mail tomorrow (Thanks eWheels for a great deal!)  I'm coming from an old OneWheel plus and can't wait to learn an EUC. 

I'm interested to see what skills translate or if I'll have to learn to walk all over again. Excited to try a new way to ride! 

Any tips?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Learning update: Well rain and Coronavirus postponed my plans a bit but I finally got on the wheel yesterday.

Totally awesome and totally hard!  I can tell the insides of my leg are gonna be bruised for a bit. I love the feeling of the wheel though. I put it at 42.5 psi and practiced at the local school for a while. Its a little nerve-racking to get up to enough speed to be more stable. I was able to go about 30 ft unassisted after an hour or so. I got the "circle one foot control" exercise down.

I'm going to try on grass and practice with a jogging stroller to go faster today.

Can't wait to get better at this. Such an unique sensation and it feels more futuristic, smoother, (and safer) than my One Wheel. Definitely happy with my decision to get into this sport!

• Like 3

First, Congrats :) (Is it funny if I have the EUC and always want to buy an onewheel to try it out? since I saw most people do the opposite).

My 2 cents,
Don't practice on grass, it's uneven so it's hard to get balance with or without speed.
Don't use the stroller, it just get in the way (you will just try to hold on the the stroller in stead of my to balance yourself).

Pad up your wheel and practice on plat surface.

Expect the wheel to be a little bit beat up - just throw the wheel away, do not try to grab it when you fall.

For Inmotion wheels, you can easily replace absolutely anything when you want/need to.

Me after 2 hours (1 hour each day) of practice, with zero experience with skateboarding, snow skating, skiing, etc... so you could be a lot faster with onewheel experience.

• Like 2

Nice work!  You need a helmet though my friend. :eff034a94a:

Yeah so far the key for me is to get up to speed to keep my balance easier. I haven't gotten the acceleration down yet.

I'm not too worried about the wheel getting messed up. I have the inmotion cover on it and that helps. Gonna practice more today!

• Like 2

I came from a onewheel too. I used advice of turning my lower half left and right when going low speed to keep the wheel from flopping over, but that was learning from a ninebot 14 inch wheel. It took me about 4 hrs over 4 days (an hour a day) before it clicked for me. I still can't mount 100% of the time with 70 miles in so far. 

• Like 2

Still getting out when I can. Went for the longest ride yet...2 miles or so. Trying to get used to the wheel and subtle changes in input. Trying to relax my feet and not tense. Getting a few wobbles when pushing it but able to slow down. 

Do people recommend you ride with your toes pointed out a bit? I've seen that in some videos. I keep my toes tight in to the shell but I feel like that might be tensing me up. 

I'm practicing braking (need to be quicker with it), turning and going over small transitions in pavement. Have the limiter at 20 mph. Haven't really pushed that yet in my neighborhood. Need a more wide open stretch.

Wearing wrist guards, knee guard, and mips mtn bike helmet. I have a full face for when I get more daring. I can definitely see wearing a moto jacket or armor when confidence goes up. Offroad is my ultimate goal. 

• Like 2

Sounds like good progress. :thumbup:
For feet position, everybody has their own style, just try to find the best stand for your comfort.

For me, I find standing a little bit to the front, heals rest comfortably on the pedals, toes stick out front, is the most comfort (my shoes size 10.5, V10 pedals).
Legs relax but close to the wheel body (some guys like the very wide stand), never grab to the body even when it wobbles, unless you want to accelerate and decelerate quickly.
Shift the body weight between the legs from time to time, move the feet around while riding help a lot with long ride.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2020 at 1:28 PM, Elliot_Mess said:

Greetings riders. 

I have a new V10 coming in the mail tomorrow (Thanks eWheels for a great deal!)  I'm coming from an old OneWheel plus and can't wait to learn an EUC. 

I'm interested to see what skills translate or if I'll have to learn to walk all over again. Excited to try a new way to ride! 

Any tips?

I started with the Onewheel and added EUC's to the mix a month later.  I now own a couple EUC's the latest of them being a V10.  This is all my opinion.

From personal experience, nothing transfers from the Onewheel except that your brain/body has learned how to balance on something that is also trying to balance you.  I still own and ride a OW plus with a two-x kit.  The EUC will be a different process and going by the date of your initial post you've probably already figured that out.  I've got approx. 600 miles under my belt as far as the EUC goes so far but still consider myself a novice.

You did good by buying the V10.  It's one of the most reliable ones out there with plenty of power and range.  I've put 75 miles on mine and I'm much better on it now.  It's a bigger wheel so much more stable and also has a good sized battery pack.  You'll love the increased range when compared to the OW.  I still love the OW but the EUC is my first pick when I go out to the garage with the intention of going for a ride on one of my PEV's.

Tips:

Make sure to wear all your pads even if you're just doing simple stuff in the grass.  You will most likely fall a lot more than the Onewheel.  It will become a skill lol.

Spend 30 miles in the grass, trust me, that shiny V10 and your body will thank you.  Even with the cover you'll still scratch the heck out of the pedals on pavement.

Get off the grass as soon as you're comfortable. it's more like riding off road.  Get on the street.  You'll immediately see the difference between the two.

Practice for 30 mins each day and practice with a purpose.  Practice turns one day, riding straight the next and start/stop the next, etc.  It all makes a difference.  It will seem difficult for a while and one day it will all just "click" and you'll go from being uncomfortable to comfortable in a split second.

As soon as you get comfortable, go on a group ride.  The longer the better.  You will be forced to use all of the skills you've been practicing and you'll get better faster.

Welcome to the EUC world and enjoy, I'm positive you'll love the EUC.

Edited by Senior Coffee
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 1:06 PM, Elliot_Mess said:

Still getting out when I can. Went for the longest ride yet...2 miles or so. Trying to get used to the wheel and subtle changes in input. Trying to relax my feet and not tense. Getting a few wobbles when pushing it but able to slow down. 

Do people recommend you ride with your toes pointed out a bit? I've seen that in some videos. I keep my toes tight in to the shell but I feel like that might be tensing me up. 

I'm practicing braking (need to be quicker with it), turning and going over small transitions in pavement. Have the limiter at 20 mph. Haven't really pushed that yet in my neighborhood. Need a more wide open stretch.

Wearing wrist guards, knee guard, and mips mtn bike helmet. I have a full face for when I get more daring. I can definitely see wearing a moto jacket or armor when confidence goes up. Offroad is my ultimate goal. 

Take in all the advice as far as foot position and try them all.  The "best" stance is the one that works.  I was 3 weeks in when I found my stance that worked.  Still use it today.  I use what's called an "asymmetrical" or staggered stance.  I stand on the pedals with my right foot at least 1.5" farther forward than the left.  Toes just slightly pointing outward.  It's the only stance that provides stability for me.  I also have at least an inch between my foot/shoe and the side of the case.  I usually hug the V10 pads with my legs especially when I'm turning.  Hugging the pads is usually for stability because unless it's a tight turn I'm usually turning with as much speed as possible.  I push it a little when I'm doing skills practice hence the reason I probably fall more than most.  It's just too damn fun to take corners fast on this thing.  But I also live by ATGATT.  All The Gear All The Time.  It's from my motorcycle days.  I have a full face helmet and body armor when I get the "itch" to really push it.

It's all sort of ironic really.  You have to get the miles in to get better but in the beginning it's extremely difficult to stay standing long enuf to get the miles in. lol.

I always suggest spending a lot of time in the grass and here's why.  Grass is like riding off road, it's harder to master.  If you can become comfortable in grass you'll immediately notice that the street is easier.

Yesterday I did a range test on my V10 non "F" model.  22 miles to empty.  Note, I live in northern Virginia = hills, I weigh 210 lbs, use 33 psi in my tire and usually average 20 mph.  On flat ground I think I'd get closer to 28/30 miles of range.

Edited by Senior Coffee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Senior Coffee said:

Take in all the advice as far as foot position and try them all.  The "best" stance is the one that works.  I was 3 weeks in when I found my stance that worked.  Still use it today.  I use what's called an "asymmetrical" or staggered stance.  I stand on the pedals with my right foot at least 1.5" farther forward than the left.  Toes just slightly pointing outward.  It's the only stance that provides stability for me.  I also have at least an inch between my foot/shoe and the side of the case.  I usually hug the V10 pads with my legs especially when I'm turning.  Hugging the pads is usually for stability because unless it's a tight turn I'm usually turning with as much speed as possible.  I push it a little when I'm doing skills practice hence the reason I probably fall more than most.  It's just too damn fun to take corners fast on this thing.  But I also live by ATGATT.  All The Gear All The Time.  It's from my motorcycle days.  I have a full face helmet and body armor when I get the "itch" to really push it.

It's all sort of ironic really.  You have to get the miles in to get better but in the beginning it's extremely difficult to stay standing long enuf to get the miles in. lol.

I always suggest spending a lot of time in the grass and here's why.  Grass is like riding off road, it's harder to master.  If you can become comfortable in grass you'll immediately notice that the street is easier.

Yesterday I did a range test on my V10 non "F" model.  22 miles to empty.  Note, I live in northern Virginia = hills, I weigh 210 lbs, use 33 psi in my tire and usually average 20 mph.  On flat ground I think I'd get closer to 28/30 miles of range.

That's pretty good range for weight and speed. I've only brought my wheel from 84V to 71V going avg 10mph getting 30 miles flat ground. I weigh 153lbs with 35 psi. Sounds promising I can get more mileage at my pace.

W0tuVc_tmkfeUrDqEFt13GjGq93fFWg8mESd9CFR

My practice ride today. Smoothest I've ever been. Good transitions and riding across bumpy grass fields, dirt paths and low speed turns. Felt more comfortable than ever. Good stuff. I feel like every day I get back on the wheel I'm way better. Fun progression! 

Edited by Elliot_Mess