Inmotion V12 announcement May 2020-MORE SPECS RELEASED

Electric Dreams

On 3/17/2020 at 9:12 AM, Nic said:

It is confusing why an 84v EUC battery is 20 cells in series, but when bicycle batteries are discussed they use nominal voltages such that 36v is 10 cells in series ... in EUC terms that is 42v. Its all just a bit mixed up.

There are different chemistry batteries. Each chemistry has different property.

I appreciate that there are different chemistries. But I was comparing apples with apples. My ebike battery (as do most others) has exactly the same chemistry in it's 18650's as my EUC's. Very few ebikes run Li-Po/LiFe/etc now.

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

There are different chemistry batteries. Each chemistry has different property.

No, it's the same batteries.  EUCs we talk about peak charge voltage (4.2V per cell).  E-bikes talk about nominal voltage (3.6V or 3.7V) and there's some history there, because e-bikes started with 12V lead acid and their attempt to match 36V/48V lead acid systems under load.  For an e-bike a 10C "36V" system is about 36V after the the peak charge immediately drops under use.  But it has the same 42V peak voltage after fresh charging.  To be perfectly clear, a lithium cell spends a long time around its nominal voltage under load.  So they were careful while slipping lithum cells into e-bikes that WEREN'T purpose designed for lithiums.  They needed to match up with the older lead acid voltages, for the sake of the voltage/current controllers.

There are plenty of lithum e-bikes to choose from these days, and yeah they are expensive.

Back on topic ... I don't know about having a suspension on an EUC.  If you ride a motorcycle, you know what I'm talking about.  The problem is what happens while cornering.  You'll want a dynamic suspension that's soft until leaning over ... no idea what compression and rebound is going to feel like on an EUC mid corner leaned over!

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, xorbe said:

no idea what compression and rebound is going to feel like on an EUC mid corner leaned over!

There are so many use cases and riding styles that I think it’s too much to hope for the manufacturer to test the suspension in every possible situation and ambient temperature. High speed cornering could be one of them. We will learn a lot when the reviews start popping up. And then a lot more when the reviewers are more accustomed to the new riding style.

The suspension will be easy to screw up, but at least it seems they have had a chance to test and tweak it for a decent amount of time.

I personally don't want suspension on my EUCs, and I really hope Inmotion's new model doesn't have invasive suspension. It's going to cause more problems than it's worth.

Really all you need is a fat cushy tire and a bit of shock absorption or  layering on the pedals surface. If you've ever ridden the new v8/v10 pedals you will already know what a big difference just a thin layer of honeycombed rubber under the grip tape makes. Now imagine a specifically designed shock absorption material on newer pedals and wearing comfortable shock absorbing shoes....that is more than enough for everyday riding.

1 hour ago, mike_bike_kite said:

If they use MR damping then you could only have the suspension switched on while cruising at a steady speed.

I’d call them using such a modern, expensive technology a very distant fantasy. My guess is they are not even using traditional car/mc/mtb shock absorbers.

13 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

It's going to cause more problems than it's worth.

If done badly, sure. If done even halfway decently, your statement is false for at least every rider who buys the wheel because of the suspension. Which might be the majority of buyers.

13 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

Now imagine a specifically designed shock absorption material on newer pedals and wearing comfortable shock absorbing shoes....that is more than enough for everyday riding.

Absolutely. But they’ve made it clear since the very beginning that this is not a wheel aimed for urban everyday riding. It’s made for ”long distance and off-road riders”.

But yes, if they slabbed an inch of Adidas Boost midsole between the motor and a floating shell/pedal structure, it would already ride over bumps like a dream and still be a game changer.

Inmotion, yes! Long range, yes! Off-road, yes! To be honest the only thing that worries me is the suspension bit.

I can't see that kind of innovation coming without trouble at first. How will it behave when people really start using these wheels. Will it hold up under stress/over time. What effect will it have on riding behavior? Will it need more maintenance? Will it make the wheel more expensive? Nobody knows.

Edited by Tazarinho
  • Like 1

Well they are aiming for a 2000$ price tag but tbc if they can keep it that this. 

I saw that Ian from Speedyfeet said the had been testing on working prototype since 8 months back. 

I also think look at the 3 major active EUC brands, KS,GW or Inmotion. Inmotion are those who seems to me that can pull this off. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

But yes, if they slabbed an inch of Adidas Boost midsole between the motor and a floating shell/pedal structure, it would already ride over bumps like a dream and still be a game changer

aka, the Dualtron (scooter) "suspension" (it's a square of squishy rubber in a cube)!  It doesn't work that well -- I guess it's okay for rebound, but it doesn't compress well (harsh feedback) as it is normally compressed under load most of the time.

• Like 1

Not sure if it would work, but a nice suspension idea would be a soft ring between tire rim and motor. Same principle as a soft tire. Along with some soft pedals. No mechanical devices needed, like springs and whatnot. Comparably cheap to build.

The old Inmotion concept shows spring suspension.

I wonder what it will be... and what the result will be.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Not sure if it would work, but a nice suspension idea would be a soft ring between tire rim and motor. Same principle as a soft tire. Along with some soft pedals. No mechanical devices needed, like springs and whatnot. Comparably cheap to build.

The old Inmotion concept shows spring suspension.

I wonder what it will be... and what the result will be.

I have a old work colleague that a kewano ko1 well or what to call it. 10" solid rubber tire with a spring system attached to the mini pedal you stand on. According to him this suspension works pretty okey. But then again he never tried a EUC yet and never goes faster than 20kmh and only 1-4km a ride. But it can go over minor curbs. I have not tested it as he lives back in Denmark and I now live in Sweden.

I am not saying suspension is a must have but it sure is a more valued differentiator to me that putting 21700 cell in a wheel or raising top speed 3-4kmh...30-40kmh is the top speeds I ride these days despite I have wheels that can do 50kmh. I never gone past 46 kmh. And that was on my KS18L.

Also easier disassembly (my wish) and now talked about ip67 rating from Inmotion. Would be welcomed features. Same as anti theft gps tracking build in (a future wish feature). Like you have on smartphones (find my phone function).

There are still many things we could see in future wheels.  And it seems Inmotion have some wishes tag other might come in next next gen. 

The big interesting part is they have kept asking for feedback and ideas. 

• Like 3

On 3/13/2020 at 4:14 PM, mike_bike_kite said:

Wouldn't it be better to weigh just the wheel on a 100V MSX and the wheel on an 84V MSX to see what the difference is? It would also be fairly interesting to know how the battery weights compare between the newer 21700 type and the older 18650(?) type.

Since the new wheel will be the Inmotion Flagship product in 2020, 21700 type will be a better option, don't you think?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Liamfind said:

Since the new wheel will be the Inmotion Flagship product in 2020, 21700 type will be a better option, don't you think?

Will there be any major benefit choosing one other. I mean If it add a lot of extra cost but not giving you much then would it be worth it just because people ask for it but did see why you as a brand would choose the type you choose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

How would that work with the hub motor? 

Can't see there being enough room for a motor and shocks for starters.

And can't see the system dealing with motor torque.

They will be working on a different solution I am sure.

• Like 1