MTen3 Arrived

The MTen3 arrived with a couple of pleasant surprises; tubeless tire and a cut off switch.  

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvkrJK3mWp2slqUZ_R4GEWnwMHW90g

As usual it had to be recalibrated.

I haven't found any information on tire pressures for the MTen3.  Extrapolating from eWheels chart I'm assuming that 35 psi would be about right for my 140 lbs.

First ride tomorrow morning.

Bruce

• Like 1

The tire had 22.5 psi.  I was out of nitrogen but I decided to ride it.  

It was a short ride, the wheel was squirrelly.  I will have the nitrogen tank refilled this afternoon and bring the tire upto 35 psi and have another go at it.

Bruce

Edited by PennBruce

54 minutes ago, raidzero said:

Just curious, does nitrogen make a big difference in an EUC tire? Is it worth the cost vs plain old air? This is the first time I've ever read of someone using nitrogen for an EUC.

I'm curious too, why not go ahead and air it up and ride til you get your nitrogen and refill/replace at that point?

LOL, the nitrogen is just incidental to the euc. 

I use nitrogen in my car and RV tires.  It has two benefits.  The loss of tire pressure is slower so your tire pressure remains constant longer.  Also nitrogen gas will have less/no moisture in it.  The moisture as it heats up in your tires increases the tire pressure.  This is of concern to RV owners.  For most drivers it's not worth the inconvenience to use nitrogen.

I raised the MTen3's tire pressure to 35 psi.  It is still twitchy.  

Bruce

• Like 2

I worked a shop for a decade, we sold and installed TONS of tires. Nitrogen is handy as it has a larger structure than atmospheric air. It seeps out of tires at a much slower rate. However, this is completely negated if you mix nitrogen with regular 'air'. My shop was near bristol dragway and yet we still didnt bother having nitro on hand.  The bigger benefit of nitrogen is that it doesnt change pressures as much due to heat and cold ( i didnt know it was simply because of moisture content). For a race car, this is VERY important.  I wonder if the euc tire temps change much? Benefit of pressure staying same for longer on euc is a big plus tho! Dont lie Penn, you use the nitro because you just a badass mofo! Looking forward to how you get along with the mten! Im loving a big wheel but am somehow still browsing. must be a disease.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

How do you know if your MTen3 is tubeless or not? I tried to push the tire aside while it was deflated as I installed slime, but it's a really tough bugger to move with just your hands!

I suspect mine is, though, since it's brand new, has the lift switch, and the valve appeared to have some adhesive where it enters the rim.

Typically you can tell if a tire is tubed by the way the stem is. Does it seem sealed like a car, or does it seem like a bicycle? SOrry if that doesnt help. I must have picked up the disease from Marty, as now Ive got an mten incoming. Did you get the addon trolley handle, dan? How you like so far?

As ShanesPlanet said, if the valve is sealed to the wheel then you have a tubeless tire.  Here's a pic:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvkrJK3mWp2slqUeMOULEHxPeSQyqQ?e=1OHJxn

Here's a pic of my 16S valve and as you can see the stem just passes through the wheel.  No seal.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvkrJK3mWp2slqUfHt83ACw59W5LwQ?e=jFb9pc

And as a last resort you can read the sidewall of the tire:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvkrJK3mWp2slqUdQULxnh3DPvWzwA?e=u9RqAS

No big boys on the MTen3, max load is 155 lbs at 30 psi. Does Gotway mention this is their specs?  Perhaps this tire is available in a three ply with a higher load rating.

Bruce

• Like 1

Load rating?? Surely you know that here in the good ole usa, speed limits, load ratings and clearance suggestions are merely optional :). I'd say its a typo, they meant to put 551 lb max.

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Typically you can tell if a tire is tubed by the way the stem is. Does it seem sealed like a car, or does it seem like a bicycle? SOrry if that doesnt help. I must have picked up the disease from Marty, as now Ive got an mten incoming. Did you get the addon trolley handle, dan? How you like so far?

Yeah based on the pictures here it's definitely tubeless. Great! That'll save me some time later.

I did get the trolley handle! I think I'm overall happy with it. My wife wanted me to get her a 14D to learn on instead and I begged her to go with the 67V MTen3 instead. That comparison is a masterclass of why this is a killer deal. She agreed under the condition that I get the external handle, so here we are, both happy.

EDIT: I'd say put the handle on when you're using it as a relative expert rather than when it's being used for an absolute beginner, because her first decent wipeout she cracked it, and it has all the sharp corners for gouging your ankles.

EDIT 2: Bruce beat me to it, haha

Edited by Dan Hillary
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan Hillary said:

I did get the trolley handle!

Don't install the handle until after you have learned to ride.

Bruce

1 minute ago, PennBruce said:

Don't install the handle until after you have learned to ride.

Bruce

Haha, i wondered about that! No covers made for it and does the trolley explode on impact? I planned to beat mine to death trying stupid shit. Perhaps just dont install it at all?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Haha, i wondered about that! No covers made for it and does the trolley explode on impact? I planned to beat mine to death trying stupid shit. Perhaps just dont install it at all?

The trolly will just be in the way while he's learning.  And yes, it will be destroyed by the time he's learned to ride.  

What he needs is a leash to keep his MTen3 from wandering off on its own.

I'm going to try making a foam overcoat for my MTen3.  I've dropped it a couple of times already scrapping the foot pads.  I have temporary foam protecting the shell.

I've emailed the firm in New Zealand that markets the EUC Bodyguard for the the Kingsongs.  They will have covers for the MTen3 but it is probably going to be three months,  The covers are made in China so with the virus problem and shipping times they think it will be three months before they see any product.

Bruce

Edited by PennBruce

On 3/4/2020 at 12:24 PM, PennBruce said:

It was a short ride, the wheel was squirrelly.  I will have the nitrogen tank refilled this afternoon and bring the tire upto 35 psi and have another go at it.

35 psi was too much especially as the recommended max pressure is 30 psi.  I tried 28 psi this evening and that seems about right for my weight.

Bruce

• Like 1

3 months aint bad. Really, the RollNZ covers are made in china, "made in New Zealand" is clearly printed on the tag of mine?  Still a tossup if the cover would fit with trolley? Lets just hope the plastic isnt too brittle and can take some hits. Seems cover parts arent too costly, but i bet it adds up fast. Spend 3 moths scratching the piss outta it THEN order a cover to hide it. Sounds about right. Sorry to hear about your handle, Dan. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully the wife wasnt too upset about it.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

16 hours ago, PennBruce said:

As ShanesPlanet said, if the valve is sealed to the wheel then you have a tubeless tire.  Here's a pic:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvkrJK3mWp2slqUeMOULEHxPeSQyqQ?e=1OHJxn

Here's a pic of my 16S valve and as you can see the stem just passes through the wheel.  No seal.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvkrJK3mWp2slqUfHt83ACw59W5LwQ?e=jFb9pc

And as a last resort you can read the sidewall of the tire:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvkrJK3mWp2slqUdQULxnh3DPvWzwA?e=u9RqAS

No big boys on the MTen3, max load is 155 lbs at 30 psi. Does Gotway mention this is their specs?  Perhaps this tire is available in a three ply with a higher load rating.

Did you get the 67v? Because I'm 200 p and the 84v mten works great for me

5 hours ago, Han Vo said:

Did you get the 67v? Because I'm 200 p and the 84v mten works great for me

I have the 84v 512wh.  Check your sidewall.  Perhaps you have a tire with a different load rating.  

Bruce

10 hours ago, Han Vo said:

I'm about 210 -225 riding weight and jump up and down on the mten. Have had no issue

Here's a quote from eWheels about Stamped Tire Ratings;

"According to industry sources, they say that tire manufacturers have a tendency to use overly conservative ratings in order to minimize their warranty obligations, but in the internal testing departments, the actual loads that the tires are subjected to, before failure, can be upwards of 5-10x greater than the marked specification."

It seems most MTen3 riders weight are well over the tire rating.

Did you ever check the load rating on your tire?  I was curious if the tubed tire had a different load rating.

Bruce

Any opinion if you think the mten would be easier or harder for a brand new rider, vs something like your nikola or an 18l? Gna try to talk the old lady into riding, but dont know which to push on her and she wont try long before its game over.