Electric Giraffe Unicycle?

Blueblade

So I have this wacky idea I have been thinking about, especially after recently getting into (learning) to ride a pedal unicycle.  I have also had a long time desire to learn to weld, and recently got a new 220A mig/wire/stick welder to do it with.

So my idea is to make a frame resembling a manual unicycle frame including adjustable seatpost with saddle up top, but that in place of the pedals and wheel, the frame (forks) would be wide enough to fit over an EUC and pin to the EUC pedal mounts after removing the EUC pedals.  I was thinking of instead welding foot platforms higher up on the fork legs, perhaps at about the height of the top the EUC (similar height to those folks who ride standing on top of their EUC).

Not sure if it would work, but it could possibly be a fun project to build and to learn to ride on. A taller inverted pendulum is easier to balance in theory, and this would also provide the option for seated riding.

Anyone else ever try making something like this?

• 2 weeks later...

A fundamental difference with a giraffe is the slowness at which things happen as the wheel below shifts back and forth relative to the rider on top. As a result they are far easier to ride than a normal unicycle. Totally forgiving in fact.

My first thought on your project is whether or not the software will still work.

It is possible that for given angle of lean (forward for example) may be sensed as the rider being only so far forward of the contact point of the wheel when the rider will be, in fact, a lot further forward. Will the wheel's smarts be fooled into only responding as if the distance is shorter? Or will kit cope. (My uninformed bet is it will.) Maybe the software will need a bit of tweeking. (I am only surmising as I have no idea of the algorithms involved other than that they derive from the physics of pendulums.)

Of course, the real problem is going to be "how the hell do I mount it!" There are a few methods of free mounting a giraffe but I can't see any of them being appropriate to something without peddles.

After all, when you come off accidentally, a remount using ladders and walls look SOOOO uncool. :/

I personally know only two people who can free-mount a manual giraffe. So if you manage it on an electric then you will be a rare person indeed.

BTW congrats and good luck in your efforts on a REAL:w00t2: unicycle.

Edited by ColinOldAndCranky
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 11:46 AM, Blueblade said:

So I have this wacky idea I have been thinking about, especially after recently getting into (learning) to ride a pedal unicycle.  I have also had a long time desire to learn to weld, and recently got a new 220A mig/wire/stick welder to do it with.

So my idea is to make a frame resembling a manual unicycle frame including adjustable seatpost with saddle up top, but that in place of the pedals and wheel, the frame (forks) would be wide enough to fit over an EUC and pin to the EUC pedal mounts after removing the EUC pedals.  I was thinking of instead welding foot platforms higher up on the fork legs, perhaps at about the height of the top the EUC (similar height to those folks who ride standing on top of their EUC).

Not sure if it would work, but it could possibly be a fun project to build and to learn to ride on. A taller inverted pendulum is easier to balance in theory, and this would also provide the option for seated riding.

Anyone else ever try making something like this?

If anyone succeds, I would be glad to try to ride it!

Hey, it "only" took three months to learn that one...

Crazy-Old-Man-2.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 6:33 AM, pico said:

If anyone succeds, I would be glad to try to ride it!

Hey, it "only" took three months to learn that one...

Crazy-Old-Man-2.jpg

You know, you were *exactly* who I was thinking of when I made the comment about folks that ride standing on top of their wheel! 😁

Wow, 3 months, I haven't been brave enough to try it, but I had it in my mind it probably wouldn't be that difficult to learn. I am sure I'm wrong!

I will definitely post back with results if/when I actually make/try it...

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 5:31 AM, ColinOldAndCranky said:

A fundamental difference with a giraffe is the slowness at which things happen as the wheel below shifts back and forth relative to the rider on top. As a result they are far easier to ride than a normal unicycle. Totally forgiving in fact.

My first thought on your project is whether or not the software will still work.

It is possible that for given angle of lean (forward for example) may be sensed as the rider being only so far forward of the contact point of the wheel when the rider will be, in fact, a lot further forward. Will the wheel's smarts be fooled into only responding as if the distance is shorter? Or will kit cope. (My uninformed bet is it will.) Maybe the software will need a bit of tweeking. (I am only surmising as I have no idea of the algorithms involved other than that they derive from the physics of pendulums.)

Of course, the real problem is going to be "how the hell do I mount it!" There are a few methods of free mounting a giraffe but I 

I personally know only two people who can free-mount a manual giraffe. So if you manage it on an electric then you will be a rare person indeed.

BTW congrats and good luck in your efforts on a REAL:w00t2: unicycle.

Thanks! I can ride my pedal one now, but just barel-, pavement has to be perfect and I need a wall or something to start.

I have dreams of muni'ing and giraffing next though once I get the basics down better!

As long as the wheel has a hard enough riding mode, front to back balance won’t be an issue. But then again it isn’t on a regular EUC either.

Turning is where you are going to have the biggest problems. At slower speeds the unicycle is steered by tilting the wheel more than your body leans to the side (= weight shifting). You can’t do that if the unicycle reaches your crotch. On a manual I’d imagine having the pedals front and back gives you the support for twisting the wheel more effectively, which is now lacking, hence the technique is a bit different.

On 3/14/2020 at 2:33 AM, mrelwood said:

As long as the wheel has a hard enough riding mode, front to back balance won’t be an issue. But then again it isn’t on a regular EUC either.

Turning is where you are going to have the biggest problems. At slower speeds the unicycle is steered by tilting the wheel more than your body leans to the side (= weight shifting). You can’t do that if the unicycle reaches your crotch. On a manual I’d imagine having the pedals front and back gives you the support for twisting the wheel more effectively, which is now lacking, hence the technique is a bit different.

Yeah I am not sure how well it would work.  I do turn the manual one by pointing my knees in the direction I want to go, but it is more jerky- more abrupt twists right as the outside foot starts to pedal forward vs smoothly turning on a EUC, but I am also very inexperienced at the manual one still.

• 2 months later...
On 3/14/2020 at 11:19 AM, Blueblade said:

Thanks! I can ride my pedal one now, but just barel-, pavement has to be perfect and I need a wall or something to start.

I have dreams of muni'ing and giraffing next though once I get the basics down better!

Congrats, most people give up before they manage a metre of controlled ride.

As I intimated earlier, once you have enough time and k's under your belt to feel a little comfortable, the giraffe will be almost a doddle. Trust me, I have put over fifty avearge unicylists on my giraffe and, without exception, have ridden under control within three tries.

The slopes will also become normal but rough surfaces and cobblestones will NEVER feel good.

Pls report back. And if you need any help or advice message me.

Edited by ColinOldAndCranky
  • Like 1

So I still have a long way to go.  I can ride about 200 yards, then my legs start to get weak and i get wobbly and dismount just before i feel I will UPD if I don't (still very tense, tiring out quickly). I still can't free-mount. I have been riding off my patio into the lawn, too to get more uneven terrain practice.  I do much better if its slightly downhill...uphills, i lose momentum up even slight slopes, and dips or roots always take me out!  

I'm not giving up though, I  know I just have to get to the point of riding more relaxed/efficiently, but feels like I am hitting a bit of a plateau.

On 5/27/2020 at 12:38 PM, Blueblade said:

So I still have a long way to go.  I can ride about 200 yards, then my legs start to get weak and i get wobbly and dismount just before i feel I will UPD if I don't (still very tense, tiring out quickly). I still can't free-mount. I have been riding off my patio into the lawn, too to get more uneven terrain practice.  I do much better if its slightly downhill...uphills, i lose momentum up even slight slopes, and dips or roots always take me out!  

I'm not giving up though, I  know I just have to get to the point of riding more relaxed/efficiently, but feels like I am hitting a bit of a plateau.

200 metres? Then the significant between you and me then is just distance. It's only a matter of doing the time and metres and there is no time limit on that.

Your tiredness will most likely be just a physiological anxiety - shallow and laboured breathing, loss of fine motor control, tiredness, especially in the quads. It'll go away with use even before developing greater cardio fitness.

• Like 1