Regularly switching between very different wheels (MTen3 and Monster)

It always takes me a few days to get used to a new electric unicycle.

I have finally joined the MTen3 craze, I expect to have it in April.
One of my fears before ordering was that it would be too hard to switch between riding the Monster and riding the MTen3, due to the huge difference in size.

I think I may shift too much weight to the side on turns on the MTen3 by accident/subconsciously, same as I do on the Monster, and maybe fall a couple of times, let's see!
Or I may just always be scared of using the MTen3 (I hope that won't be the case!)

I plan to share with you here how well I do and my thoughts on regularly using two very different wheels.

For those of you who already do this, what are your thoughts? Any tips?

Thanks, Jean.

• Like 3

100% of riders switching from a big wheel to a small wheel will crash at the maximum speed of the small wheel + 1 mph.

No exceptions. Just accept it as a done deal, and dress accordingly.

• Like 1

I switch back and forth between MTen3 and V10F.  It is weird the first few times.  Then, it is weird only for the first 5 seconds of every ride after switching.  

While riding the V10F, I have to keep in mind that It takes me much longer to stop.

While riding the MTen3, I have to be far more vigilant about the pavement. 

• Like 2

I have a MSX and a Mten3

I cant ride the MSX after I’ve ridden the Mten3 LOL

its like standing in setting cement, so slow and unresponsive 

but you get used to it

• Like 2

I got the Mten recently and almost had to learn how to ride my 16x all over again, very similar to what Trevor above stated, I wasn't great before and it all went to chit after the Mten, now I'm back to speed and better than ever, maybe I'm an isolated case and I am fairly new to the sport so maybe others with more experience will disagree, this was just my case.  Fast forward to now, I love both of my wheels and until very recently, I was going to sell the Mten but now it's a keeper:)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

I got the Mten recently and almost had to learn how to ride my 16x all over again, very similar to what Trevor above stated, I wasn't great before and it all went to chit after the Mten, now I'm back to speed and better than ever, maybe I'm an isolated case and I am fairly new to the sport so maybe others with more experience will disagree, this was just my case.  Fast forward to now, I love both of my wheels and until very recently, I was going to sell the Mten but now it's a keeper:)

imo the mten will make anything feel super weird after until youre very comfortable with both, way more than any other wheel would.. not only because of its very tiny diameter tire, but also because its tire is extremely flat

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LanghamP said:

100% of riders switching from a big wheel to a small wheel will crash at the maximum speed of the small wheel + 1 mph.

No exceptions. Just accept it as a done deal, and dress accordingly.

not true. I own a Monster, Nikola, and Mten, and i have yet to crash at the max speed. I’ve had a near cutout experience at 26 mph though. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 7:24 AM, Jean Dublin said:

It always takes me a few days to get used to a new electric unicycle.

I have finally joined the MTen3 craze, I expect to have it in April.
One of my fears before ordering was that it would be too hard to switch between riding the Monster and riding the MTen3, due to the huge difference in size.

I think I may shift too much weight to the side on turns on the MTen3 by accident/subconsciously, same as I do on the Monster, and maybe fall a couple of times, let's see!
Or I may just always be scared of using the MTen3 (I hope that won't be the case!)

I plan to share with you here how well I do and my thoughts on regularly using two very different wheels.

For those of you who already do this, what are your thoughts? Any tips?

Thanks, Jean.

You just need a lot more experience/miles on both wheels, and don’t ride one too often over the other. I went through your problems but they’ve subsided once I learned to rotate all my wheels in regularly to avoid the readjustment. 

• Like 1

I switch b/n my Tesla and Mten3, it was very noticeable and almost felt dangerous the first few times (getting back on tesla) but it becomes muscle memory and you adjust instantly after a week or so.

Going from the Mten3 to the Tesla makes the it feels very sluggish and makes the torque feel terrible even though it is exactly the same as it ever was. And going from the Tesla to the Mten3 makes mounting dismounting feel very awkward and sketchy.

But now it's no problem at all after about 5 swaps over a week. With the Mten3 you will have to bend your knee more when dismounting and mounting to give leverage against the side of the unit. If you don't do this you won't have enough support to ride one legged (briefly) and it will slip out from under you. Either that or you have to hop a little bit as you get on/off to make yourself weightless and allow for the leg to come off smoothly.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips. 

I have switched before from a GT16 to a 14in 12km/h limit 350w no name wheel for 3 days, and I didn't get to cut-off on that one, so hopefully will be the same with the Mten3, and I'll respect the limits (I doubt I'll dare to go over 30km/h on it due to the small diameter, unless I ever find a perfectly smooth cycle path, very rare in Dublin, Ireland). 

I see people having issues with switching between 16in and 10in, so 22in to 10in and back will be mad at the start haha. Let's see... I'll let you know my experience here. 

if you can ride an mten on rough NYC roads competently at 20 mph, every other wheel you own becomes easy mode. The problem is, nobody in my area except maybe 1 other person I know of owns the mten. they’re all scared of it. I still stay firm in my belief the Mten3 is the MOST fun EUC you can buy, PERIOD. Monster is fast and stable, Nikola is fast and twitchy, but there is a certain level of fun (and portability) the Mten3 offers that can’t be matched on ANY other PEV. I get extremely bored riding my Monster, and relegate it to looooong rides only. It’s a workhorse but nothing I’d recommend for leisure. 

Now if only Gotway would get on the ball and make a 20s2p 21700 variant, then we would have a 800Wh Mten3 (or perhaps a 100V Mten3 that can cruise 30 mph?) I can only dream. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

if you can ride an mten on rough NYC roads competently at 20 mph, every other wheel you own becomes easy mode. The problem is, nobody in my area except maybe 1 other person I know of owns the mten. they’re all scared of it. I still stay firm in my belief the Mten3 is the MOST fun EUC you can buy, PERIOD. Monster is fast and stable, Nikola is fast and twitchy, but there is a certain level of fun (and portability) the Mten3 offers that can’t be matched on ANY other PEV. I get extremely bored riding my Monster, and relegate it to looooong rides only. It’s a workhorse but nothing I’d recommend for leisure. 

Now if only Gotway would get on the ball and make a 20s2p 21700 variant, then we would have a 800Wh Mten3 (or perhaps a 100V Mten3 that can cruise 30 mph?) I can only dream. 

I can only speak to the 67v version (18-20 mph is my top end ~65% battery and up) but it is one of my favorite I own. At stop lights and other points of stoppage you can just have a bit of fun tricking around in a small area until it's time to go.

And it's also so nimble that you can go slower than walking pace and even mix in with pedestrians. People aren't intimidated by it, most are curious about it. My female coworker who is way into Star Wars says it reminds her of a cute droid you'd see in that universe, the spine lights definitely help that. I think it's the most impressive EUC because of the specs it can have in such a small unassuming package.

There is a great video of a guy weaving through extremely crowded sidewalks in Chicago on the Mten2, that's even easier on the Mten3.

I think it's a blast to ride 12-17 mph, but 25-30 mph on such a squirrely wheel is not a good idea IMO.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tenofnine said:

I can only speak to the 67v version (18-20 mph is my top end ~65% battery and up) but it is one of my favorite I own. At stop lights and other points of stoppage you can just have a bit of fun tricking around in a small area until it's time to go.

And it's also so nimble that you can go slower than walking pace and even mix in with pedestrians. People aren't intimidated by it, most are curious about it. My female coworker who is way into Star Wars says it reminds her of a cute droid you'd see in that universe, the spine lights definitely help that. I think it's the most impressive EUC because of the specs it can have in such a small unassuming package.

There is a great video of a guy weaving through extremely crowded sidewalks in Chicago on the Mten2, that's even easier on the Mten3.

I think it's a blast to ride 12-17 mph, but 25-30 mph on such a squirrely wheel is not a good idea IMO.

If the road conditions allow, i will cruise at 22-23 on my Mten3; depends on the beeps. 

What’s an Mten2? Did you mean Luffy?

Edited by Ben Kim

I rode my IPS i5 yesterday morning and the V3 Monster in the afternoon. can't get more extreme than that but like what @Ben Kim says, with more miles under the belt switching become way easier, I also frequently switch between the Monster and my z10, which is just about night and day when it comes to how they ride but no issues for me there either.

• Like 1

I let an experienced rider and forum member here that had never ridden an Mten ride mine a few weeks ago and he rode it like a boss, not sure if it was his level of experience or what but he took to it like a duck takes to water, I was scratching my head a little.  

Edited by RetroThruster

14 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

If the road conditions allow, i will cruise at 22-23 on my Mten3; depends on the beeps. 

What’s an Mten2? Did you mean Luffy?

The Mten was the original in the Mten3 line it had an 10 inch wheel planetary gear drive, the Mten2 was the same thing but was gearless like most hub motors in EUCs today. (edit: totally had a brainfart and forgot there was an actual m8 that was seperate)

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

The Mten was the original in the Mten3 line it had an 8 inch wheel planetary gear drive, the Mten2 was the same thing but was gearless like most hub motors in EUCs today.

Actually the 1st mten is a 10'' pneumatic tire with a geared drive(I have one).The mten2 lacked the geared drive and added bluetooth(don't have one).The m8 was the same shape as the original mten with geared drive but had a solid rubber 8'' tire(had one but had to leave it at HK airport because they wouldn't allow me to carry it on though I was allowed to check another wheel).That was back in 2015 before they stopped allowing pev's on planes. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

Actually the 1st mten is a 10'' pneumatic tire with a geared drive(I have one).The mten2 lacked the geared drive and added bluetooth(don't have one).The m8 was the same shape as the original mten with geared drive but had a solid rubber 8'' tire(had one but had to leave it at HK airport because they wouldn't allow me to carry it on though I was allowed to check another wheel).That was back in 2015 before they stopped allowing pev's on planes. 

Ah sorry that's what I meant the m8 then the mten (makes sense the ten being 10"), I guess I got confused becuase they looked so similar in design?

I believe the video I was referencing was the 2nd gen Mten as I had originally thought but I could be mistaken.

I'll try to do a video of terribly bad footage and editing of mine when I get it. I am thinking i should vid it from unboxed and run what happens for the first 5 minutes of ever being on a wheel, smaller  than my 18L. Im a new rider, not good on the 18l either, so perhaps my experience (lack of) may be fun to watch. I foresee a TON of cussing, some ankle bruises, some doubts about my ability to NOT waste money, and hopefully in the end, wont hate myself and the world for what the mten has done to me.  I SWORE I wouldnt become victim of having to have multiple wheels. Obviously i don't know shit. Listening to me at all, is YOUR fault, you've been warned. If the disease spreads much more, the mten may needs its own damn topic on the main page altogether.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

On 3/6/2020 at 8:07 AM, Ben Kim said:

there is a certain level of fun (and portability) the Mten3 offers that can’t be matched on ANY other PEV. I get extremely bored riding my Monster, and relegate it to looooong rides only. It’s a workhorse but nothing I’d recommend for leisure.

That is a very interesting statement from a person who owns both. Thank you! :)

17 hours ago, tenofnine said:

Ah sorry that's what I meant the m8 then the mten (makes sense the ten being 10"), I guess I got confused becuase they looked so similar in design?

I believe the video I was referencing was the 2nd gen Mten as I had originally thought but I could be mistaken.

If you're refering to the vid of the guy riding in Chicago it is the mten2.:)

I have a Monster and an Mten3. I also have an MCM5 which is far less stable then the mten3. The mten3 is more squirrely or twitchy, but it’s wide flat tire gives it incredible stability unlike the MCM5 which feels like you’re balancing on a pencil tip.

So going to a 3” wide tire feels similar whether an Msx or nikola or mten3 regardless of the diameter. Takes me zero adjustment.  

The hard transition is going from 3” wide to 2.1” wide! That takes a couple minutes of carving to get warmed up and used to the difference. The no resistance to turning and the difficulty of doing 360’s on a 2.1” etc

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I have a Monster and an Mten3. I also have an MCM5 which is far less stable then the mten3. The mten3 is more squirrely or twitchy, but it’s wide flat tire gives it incredible stability unlike the MCM5 which feels like you’re balancing on a pencil tip.

So going to a 3” wide tire feels similar whether an Msx or nikola or mten3 regardless of the diameter. Takes me zero adjustment.  

The hard transition is going from 3” wide to 2.1” wide! That takes a couple minutes of carving to get warmed up and used to the difference. The no resistance to turning and the difficulty of doing 360’s on a 2.1” etc

Got no problems switching between my 3 wheels at all, but when i tried an MCM5 I hopped off and gave it right back to its owner saying “fuck this”. Definitely not a skinny tire rider. 

• Like 1