KS18XL "runaway" during charging

CGPro856

I put my KS18XL on the stock charger today while sitting on its stand.  When the battery reached full charge the wheel came on and spun up to full speed before yelling "please decelerate " and then shutting off.  I've only charged it a couple times before and it didn't do this.  I recently updated the firmware to 2.0.  Did the new firmware cause this or what is up?  Fortunately it didn't vibrate off the stand while the wheel was spinning 39 mph, that could have been really bad.  Anyone know why this happened?

The only thing I can think of is that I did tap the power button while it was charging to cycle thru the headlight modes trying to turn off the red headlight.  Maybe this changed the power mode and caused the wheel to engage when the charge cycle ended?

• Like 1

I have not had this problem. I have been aggravated by the light turning on when I am trying to charge the wheel. I can see how this could happen. My next question would be, If you turn the wheel on, ready to ride, then plug in the charger, does the wheel stop functioning as a rideable wheel? If it does, it would likely take off running when it became fully charged. 

39 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

My next question would be, If you turn the wheel on, ready to ride, then plug in the charger, does the wheel stop functioning as a rideable wheel? If it does, it would likely take off running when it became fully charged. 

I have not tried this but I suspect, especially after my incident, that this is exactly what would happen.  I will test this later today when I get home from work and report back with my findings.  

8 hours ago, CGPro856 said:

The only thing I can think of is that I did tap the power button while it was charging to cycle thru the headlight modes trying to turn off the red headlight.  Maybe this changed the power mode and caused the wheel to engage when the charge cycle ended?

I don't have the Red light on while charging. Being new, I once turned the wheel on while charging (wheel in stand) and it spun up . Not doing that again...lol

Update ,the red light has come on. At the start of the charge, not on. At the end, on. 

Edited by bigwave

What seems to be happening is by touching the power button to change headlight modes the wheel goes from whatever sleeping, powered on mode it's in while charging to fully on but acting as if the lift handle is lifted so the motor won't spin. Once the charger is done or unplugged it acts as if the handle was released and the motor will spin the wheel.  The lesson here seems to be do not touch the power button while the wheel is charging.

• Like 1