Uploading to YouTube to get the best quality: Resolution, bitrate and whatnot

I edit all my content through Davinci Resolve Studio - Paid. I try to work with all 4K content now from go pro hero 8 , insta360 (processed through the studio as 3840x2160 h265, full bit rate render) ,mavic air 2 drone. Project setting at start is edited in 3840 × 2160, including timeline , full data levels. I produce the video  3840 × 2160 as a .mp4 file, h264 with a bitrate 30000, network optimized and i leave the rest default. I also render the video with my 1070 and not from my cpu.

Most 10 minute video renders process through my 1070 take about 4 minutes

Youtube takes about 1 hour to upload the 10 minute video file, 30 minutes to make the video show in 1080p and 2 hours for 4K. It is best i can  do with my internet speed and not sacrifice too much quality from the original footage. 

Edited by WILSON-YT
  • 1 month later...

Hi @ all,

i uploaded a video to YT and it just looks incredible poor on the riding scene, can't get it look OK. I'd be open for hints :-)

Camera is my Insta360 One X, i exported the flat video from Insta Studio in 1440p 25 FPS with maximum Bitrate and cut the scenes in VSDC or Adobe Premiere Elements 2021.

The exported video looks good (as good as autumn video gets with that low light) in VLC, but uploaded to YT its literally unwatchable. I tried many different settings, even faked 50fps / CBR / VBR 2-pass / 4k Ultra presets. but none of the videos are watchable quality after YT upload.

I uploaded a short clip of my video without re-encoding, directly from my Insta360 studio to youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxcKupRMhX8 ) and also to my google drive ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/18NRnpYUhljy3cYRhWVUSWBlNRJejq1oS/view?usp=sharing ) , so you can see the source quality. 

Is someone able to render this properly and upload it to YT in a quality that deserves the "HD" logo? 

Thanks, 

Stefan

11 hours ago, btl said:

Hi @ all,

i uploaded a video to YT and it just looks incredible poor on the riding scene, can't get it look OK. I'd be open for hints :-)

Camera is my Insta360 One X, i exported the flat video from Insta Studio in 1440p 25 FPS with maximum Bitrate and cut the scenes in VSDC or Adobe Premiere Elements 2021.

The exported video looks good (as good as autumn video gets with that low light) in VLC, but uploaded to YT its literally unwatchable. I tried many different settings, even faked 50fps / CBR / VBR 2-pass / 4k Ultra presets. but none of the videos are watchable quality after YT upload.

I uploaded a short clip of my video without re-encoding, directly from my Insta360 studio to youtube ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxcKupRMhX8 ) and also to my google drive ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/18NRnpYUhljy3cYRhWVUSWBlNRJejq1oS/view?usp=sharing ) , so you can see the source quality. 

Is someone able to render this properly and upload it to YT in a quality that deserves the "HD" logo? 

Thanks, 

Stefan

As you can see, the stats look correct on YouTube. You've got the vp09 Codec, so honestly, you can't do better than that from the YouTube standpoint.

YT-stats1.jpg

I looked at the same video on the Google share and it seems to be similar in quality.

So, I'm not sure what the complaint it. The video does have low light. Realize that 360 video is 5.7k in full 360. When you reframe it, there is much less video to actually use than 5.7k unless you are doing a fish eye view which is not very watchable. When you export in 2k (2560x1440) Insta360Studio is filling in the bits and trying to upscale it with various degrees of success. We know that you're not going to get incredible 2k output, but we're doing it to gain the vp09 codec that YouTube uses which improves the end result quality dramatically in most cases. However, if the original footage is dark or doesn't have a lot of image detail, there is not much it can do. 

I would try again and capture some footage on a sunny day and compare the output. 

This is captured on an Insta360 One R (5.7k), reframed in 2k, uploaded to YouTube.

As you can see, the stats look correct on YouTube. You've got the vp09 Codec, so honestly, you can't do better than that from the YouTube standpoint.

YT-stats1.jpg

I looked at the same video on the Google share and it seems to be similar in quality.

So, I'm not sure what the complaint it. The video does have low light. Realize that 360 video is 5.7k in full 360. When you reframe it, there is much less video to actually use than 5.7k unless you are doing a fish eye view which is not very watchable. When you export in 2k (2560x1440) Insta360Studio is filling in the bits and trying to upscale it with various degrees of success. We know that you're not going to get incredible 2k output, but we're doing it to gain the vp09 codec that YouTube uses which improves the end result quality dramatically in most cases. However, if the original footage is dark or doesn't have a lot of image detail, there is not much it can do. 

Sure, i know a 16:9 reframe out of an 5.7k 360° video will hardly have enough detail for a crisp 2k, but the difference beetwen what i uploaded and what i was getting from YT was just too big,  Youtube kept showing me this AVC1 encoded crap as "HD":

768356183_Screenshot2020-11-23110337.png.ccaa36e86b4aeca7429cdf9aa607da4c.png  

Then you showed me that the clip comes up for you in the better vp09 quality. So i checked with another browser and found the culprit: I had enabled a plugin called "h264ify" on my chrome, once back in time on a really low-spec machine, but it synced to all my computers with chrome... So i disabled h264ify and voilá:

662051814_Screenshotvp9.png.316a560484b5aae67144fdb4627f1eb8.png

The difference is night and day, even more so in motion.

Thanks for taking a look :-)

On 6/7/2020 at 2:32 PM, ZenRyder said:

After reviewing this and trying out many different resolutions and bit rates, this is what I recommend based on YouTube specs and what works in the real world.

Resolution: 2k = 2560x1440

Frame rate: 30 fps

Bit rate: 17 mbps - 20 mbps

This gets you the smallest sizes files, but still more resolution and detail than most people need. This will get you the vp09 format.

I just received the new Insta360 ONE X2 camera. Can it output 2k video from 360° 5.7K @ 30FPS raw recording? I thought it could only make 1080P video in free capture mode.

Also, you recommend H264? And not Prores?

I'm such a newbie to this stuff.

I used h.264 because i know it works :) When you export, you can give any resolution as a target. The 1080p from the free capture reframer wil be scaled to whatever you choose.

ProRes422 is relatively new in InstaStudio as an export option. But i 'll try it with the current video i'm editing. Its an Apple format, and i wasn't sure if my non-Macs can even handle it. 

On 11/25/2020 at 12:01 PM, btl said:

I used h.264 because i know it works :) When you export, you can give any resolution as a target. The 1080p from the free capture reframer wil be scaled to whatever you choose.

ProRes422 is relatively new in InstaStudio as an export option. But i 'll try it with the current video i'm editing. Its an Apple format, and i wasn't sure if my non-Macs can even handle it. 

I detest all things Apple for more reasons than I care to list. I avoid their codecs and software like the plague. With that said, you can export from Insta360 Studio in 2560x1440 just fine. Then edit in the video editor of your choice and you have a video that YouTube will bless with vp09 codec every time.