Shoulder speakers

mike_bike_kite

This review is for anyone thinking of using these to listen to music on their EUC.

I like listening to music but don't like subjecting others to my, rather eclectic, musical tastes. I also like to be able to hear the traffic around me so I dislike headphones. Shoulder speakers go on your shoulders and round your neck - a bit like a high tech necklace from star trek. They either pair with your phone using bluetooth and a few have their own storage for holding music on the device. I was going to buy the Bose ones but couldn't justify the $300 price so I ended up with a $30 device from Lanniu. Testing around the house worked well - I could listen to music fairly loudly without bothering anyone, watch action films quite loudly at night or even answer phone calls using it. Sound quality was merely OK rather than brilliant - I guess that's what the other $270 would of paid for. It's also not silent to others - it's a bit like listening to someone else's headphones from about 5ft away.

On the road I felt like I had beamed down from the future - I was riding an EUC with my head enveloped in a "sound cloud". Sadly this only lasted to about 10mph while at 20mph all I could hear was wind noise. Shame really, it did seem like a good idea but at least I didn't spend the full $300. 

Here's a link to the Bose high quality ones and here's a link to the Lanniu ones I have

• Like 1

Thanks @mike_bike_kite! Reviews of  the “tried it, didn’t really like it” variety are just as welcome, if not more so, than the “This is so awesome! My choice is totally validated!” kind of review.

I’m looking for an on-wheel audio solution at the moment and I might have been tempted by these shoulder mounted jobbies.

• Like 1

I have been debating on purchasing the Bose Audio Sunglasses so I can listen to talk radio without headphones while riding, but I am afraid that too much of the audio will be lost to wind noise. The shoulder speakers are an interesting thought though. 

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/frames.html 

Have you considered the AfterShokz bone conduction headphones?

Im about to get those to ride my euc, as well as to use them while im on the Road bike.

I've tested them and im in love... Just 1 thing you should know... The new Aeropex are SUPER comfortable.. you can barely feel them. But the sound is not as loud, and wind may overlay them

The Air version, are way louder, but not as comfy... 

Give them a try, they are an excellent option

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've got the Bose ones and I can definitely hear them (quite well) when going faster than 20MPH (and with decent winds).

It'll frequently be the case that if I pause the music and concentrate REALLY HARD I can barely hear my MSX triple beep speed alarm over the wind noise.

People ahead of me on the trails seem to notice several yards ahead of me (if they're not wearing headphones).

They're by far my preferred method of listening to music while riding (as I like that they somewhat broadcast my presence).

(This is with a Steelbird Air 2 helmet over my head as well)

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Bose Soundwear and agree. You can hear the music perfectly at any speed although with a little volume I can’t hear the wheel beeps. It will slip a bit depending on the armor you wear and I have a friend that’s a bit disappointed that they aren’t louder.  I like the headphones but do find the slipping an issue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 11:21 AM, HippoPig said:

I’ve just ordered a Domio Ripper.

looks great for EUC.

they do beefier models with phone call ability for Motorbike helmets, too.

Just for anyone’s info - I have (attempted to) cancel my order.

This company is a scam - avoid at all costs.

On 3/4/2020 at 12:31 AM, gon2fast said:

I have been debating on purchasing the Bose Audio Sunglasses so I can listen to talk radio without headphones while riding, but I am afraid that too much of the audio will be lost to wind noise. The shoulder speakers are an interesting thought though. 

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/frames.html 

I've also got the sunglasses, very nice indeed I only wear them when not going to fast, but yeah they sound good but not extremely loud 

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased Cleer Audio Halo wearable speakers ($99 neck shoulder speakers). I bought them through amazon. Here is the review I posted on amazon:

I'm a headphone enthusiast. I've owned many many different headphones. Sony, Sennheiser, Etymotic, Shure, Boes, and my current favorite B&W PX.

I have a specific need for headphones that allow me to hear my surroundings while listening to music (Inmotion EUC). I've tried several cheap neckband headphones and found them all great in concept and functional but distinctly lacking in sound quality.

I've had the Bose neckband in my wishlist for months waiting for a sale, when I ran across these. I've heard positive things about Cleer, so I thought I would give these a try. I've since removed the bose from my wishlist.

I really like these. The sound quality is on an entirely different level than any of the other neck-shoulder headphones I've tried. Not a good as a great set of over the ear cans but at least as good as a moderately priced set of earbuds.

For my tastes, which run to the crisp end of the listening spectrum, they are a bit heavy on the bass and lower mid range but I know many prefer heavy bass.

Given the price, the build quality (which is good), long battery life and quick charging, I think these are great. The only caveat I would mention, is that I've only owned them for 24 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XF93PRP?ref=cm_sw_em_r_rw_dp_fuK6Y5eq7ONFx

Edited by YohannFrankfurderIII