Dogs and unicyles: Fatal mix

Rotator

I'm tired of fighting against little dogs.

They have made me loose my balance several times because their persecution, their bites on my shoe, or the scares about their barking.

Do you know an effective "weapon" against the dogs?

I have found this, but I do not know if they are effective.. (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Anti-Barking-Stop-Bark-Ultrasonic-Pet-Dog-Repeller-Training-Device-Trainer-With-LED-3-in-1/32343027034.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.101.MQEk0h&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_3_79_78_77_91_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9)

52 minutes ago, Rotator said:

Do you know an effective "weapon" against the dogs?

Is it your own? Doesn't people use leashes where you are?

BTW if you can spot the dog enough so you have time to use that thing it can't be that hard to just outride them or stop?

Not a lot of dog owners here I guess. I don't see the problem? What would you do if a child was in front of you with a ball? Blow whistle and carry on? Hope for the best? I dare someone to blow a dogwhistle that scares my dog so that she runs in to traffic. Just my cents.

Edit: Sorry for being so cranky but I would hate to see my dog get in to an unnessesary accident with an EUC. Here she is BTW:wub:

G0072377.JPG

Seriously.... if you just stop and get off the uni with one foot they will stop chasing you. When those dogs see movement like that (especially a movement they haven't seen before) it just makes them go crazy to chase after it. Same issues happen with bicyclist and even runners. But if you just stop and stand your ground they will stop too.... some even will get scared and run the other way. I've done it before with large dogs chasing after me.

Just avoid dogs. Especially small ones. I usually slow down and estimate the length of the leash and ride at a safe distance knowing they cant reach me. I go by them slow or wait for them to pass. Large dogs can jump at you if you are riding too fast. Small dogs will try to get you just because they havent seen a euc before.

Funny story from tonight...was coming up on a leashed VERY big brindle mastiff type dog and i slowed and asked if i can pass without scaring him.  The lady laughed and said he was a big chicken and sure enough hid behind her legs as I passed. Too funny as it was one tough looking dog but all sweetheart.

I was ridding around the park and i saw a dog following a person off to the side about 20' behind and away... As i approached i slowed up and sure enough a tiny black wire, almost invisible was connecting the person and the dog, almost like a trip wire. Damn those tiny retractable leashes.

Note to self, watch out for dog-people boobie traps.:unsure:

I feel like this applies Ball-N-Chain Monster

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎08‎:‎15‎:‎43, Michael Vu said:

Seriously.... if you just stop and get off the uni with one foot they will stop chasing you. When those dogs see movement like that (especially a movement they haven't seen before) it just makes them go crazy to chase after it. Same issues happen with bicyclist and even runners. But if you just stop and stand your ground they will stop too.... some even will get scared and run the other way. I've done it before with large dogs chasing after me.

Sadly that doesn't always work out like that... Personal experience some 30 years ago. We were doing a warm up run around the training center. The horde past a dog, that was leashed an unsupervised. When I came there, the dog ran straight up to me, so I just stopped frozen. Darn dog jump up and bit my face :-( Gladly it was only a scratch to my lips, but still, at the time it was wrong to stop! Later I learned that this specific dog was known to be "special". THANKS!!!

By the way, dog owner too, and considering to glide the dog once I get a EUC...

Greetings

• 2 weeks later...

Something that just occurred to me: Dogs can hear much higher sounds (up to something like 60kHz) than humans (maximum around 20kHz). The motor of the EUC is driven using PWM (pulse width modulation), which oscillates at a high frequency (above 20kHz). At least one of the reasons for using high frequency is that the wires in the coils of the motor will oscillate with the pulses (move very slightly back and forth), which will cause them to emit a sound at that oscillation frequency, and if it's below 20kHz, humans will hear it as a high-pitched whine. Another reason that I know of is that the wires will scrub against each other and slowly lose the protective lacquering around them, causing a short in the motor, but with high frequency the amplitude (amount of movement) is smaller, and this will take much longer to occur. So using high frequency (but still below 60kHz), the motor is making a very high sound that humans can't hear but dogs can, which probably makes them interested about the EUC. Someone might suggest that making the frequency even higher (above dog hearing range) could be a solution, but from what I've understood, it might become problematic due to power losses (and maybe transistor switching speeds, although I think they're in the tens of nanoseconds -range?)...

This worked for me the 1 time I really needed it, called the Dog Dazer.  It is really just an electronic ultrasonic noise-maker.  Works to confuse an angry dog intent on doing one harm at the last moment.  Surprises them and gives them second thoughts - just enough to get away from them.  Also, yelling loudly at the dog to GO HOME in a command voice has worked for me as well.  I ride in a rural setting.  If the dog doesn't come out of his yard into the street he can bark all he wants.  When he crosses the line, I will take counter-measures. 

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Dazer-II-Ultrasonic-Deterrent/dp/B000IBRI2Y

7 hours ago, esaj said:

Something that just occurred to me: Dogs can hear much higher sounds (up to something like 60kHz) than humans (maximum around 20kHz). The motor of the EUC is driven using PWM (pulse width modulation), which oscillates at a high frequency (above 20kHz). At least one of the reasons for using high frequency is that the wires in the coils of the motor will oscillate with the pulses (move very slightly back and forth), which will cause them to emit a sound at that oscillation frequency, and if it's below 20kHz, humans will hear it as a high-pitched whine. Another reason that I know of is that the wires will scrub against each other and slowly lose the protective lacquering around them, causing a short in the motor, but with high frequency the amplitude (amount of movement) is smaller, and this will take much longer to occur. So using high frequency (but still below 60kHz), the motor is making a very high sound that humans can't hear but dogs can, which probably makes them interested about the EUC. Someone might suggest that making the frequency even higher (above dog hearing range) could be a solution, but from what I've understood, it might become problematic due to power losses (and maybe transistor switching speeds, although I think they're in the tens of nanoseconds -range?)...

But the dogs can't hear me coming from behind, so they can't hear any ultrasounds from my EUC.

Just yesterday there was a girl with three big dogs and they became interested in my EUC. The girl started yelling and swearing at them and this time it was me who had to calm the girl and say 'relax, they just haven't seen this before'.

7 hours ago, MarkoMarjamaa said:

Just yesterday there was a girl with three big dogs and they became interested in my EUC. The girl started yelling and swearing at them and this time it was me who had to calm the girl and say 'relax, they just haven't seen this before'.

Dogs definitely react to the stress and excitement level of their owners. I definitely think that a lot of dog owners end up making their dogs more jumpy by yelling. I try to stay calm while going by dog walkers and other than some barking I haven't had any problem. 

Archived