The Best Smartwatch for Unicycle Riders ! IMO

It isn't really a concern for me as long as it runs the handful of apps that I need. It did say the Ninebot app wasn't compatible, so I went to apkmirror and downloaded the apk file and the Ninebot app works just fine.

I found that a lot with my old android tablet, apps saying they weren't compatible, but I'd grab the apk and install them and they would work just fine.

1 hour ago, Alexutlang said:
Im worried that it's using android 7 instead of 10

android 10 still isnt released on some flagship phones.. not going to find a version optimized for chinese smart watches any time soon xD but yea android 7 is quite dated now, i could see app compatibility being an issue in the near future

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What watch did you get (Lem T or MAX), how much do you use it & how long does the battery last?

There's no warranty, and like EUCs the specifications are exaggerated. The MAX & Lem T can use the same firmware, so essentially they're the same watch. The only difference I can see is the MAX claims it is lighter, so the battery might actually be smaller than the Lem T instead of larger as claimed. (The MAX claims an 8MP camera, but it is actually 5MP, same as the Lem T.)

On 4/24/2020 at 5:48 PM, Alexutlang said:

I end up using Huawei Watch so I can use it everyday 

Huawei watch is the only Huawei watch that doesnt run lite os right? (Still running wear os) .

I was close to buy a Huawei watch GT until i noted it runs Huaweis own proprietsry OS (lite os) that does not support apps like EUC world and wheel log. A real shame since the watch is nice otherwise.

2 hours ago, Boogieman said:

Does TicWrist support EUC worlds excellent fork of wheellog. If not, its useless.

It kind of looks like the TicWris Max is a Chinese knockoff of the LEMFO Lem T, which would mean it runs EUC World.

The firmware is different: The Max starts up faster and supports moving watch faces (live faces), has more configurable settings, has a Windows 10 style app selector (instead of a list), and does a few things differently than the Lem T. It seems the Max firmware is better in this regard. Looking into it deeper though, it seems to be a stripped down version of the Lem T firmware, which makes it "faster" processor wise, but "slower" usage wise: the Max doesn't seem to register finger swipes and taps as easily as the Lem T, so while it responds to user input faster, it may take more attempts to get the Max to do something, making it a frustrating and over-all more time-consuming experience. Logically it makes sense, adding more features means taking something away somewhere to keep the memory requirements and speed about the same (there's no free lunch). 

The processor hardware seems to be the same: Either watch can run the other watches firmware without issue, which means the processor and support chips are most likely the same or very, very close. If there was any tangible difference it would require modifying the firmware to match the hardware and re-compiling, which isn't a big deal from a technical standpoint, but the firmware from one watch wouldn't run on the other. Hardware inspection through software and looking at the actual components shows the hardware to be the same, though this could change at any time without notice. 

The camera hardware seems to be the same: TicWris is claiming it has an 8MP camera, however it appears to be a software trick to convert 1 pixel into 2 pixels and say the 5MP camera is 8MP. This is a flat-out lie that actually hurts the consumer. Yes, the pictures appear larger on-screen, but the same thing could be done by zooming in with the viewer. What this "interpolation trick" does is use more CPU and battery power to interpolate the image resulting in slower picture taking, make larger file sizes larger resulting in longer write times and less storage space, plus file transfer times are longer and the image looks fuzzier. The person wanting to view the picture (like another forum member) uses more data bandwidth to download the picture, which takes twice as long to load, possibly doesn't fit on their screen, and looks fuzzy. The solution to this is to turn off the interpolation, if that option is available, and if not then one could use the Lem T firmware. 

The battery might be less powerful. This is where the knock-off guys usually cut corners. TicWris claims they have a battery with more capacity than LEMFO, in the same case size. HOWEVER, TicWris also claims to have a lighter watch, and while lighter is usually better, in the case of batteries it means less capacity because the battery layers aren't compressed as much, which means a faster production line and battery with less storage capacity. This means the Max battery won't run for as many hours, and not last as many years as the Lem T. Is this true, or is TicWris just making up numbers that look better while using the same hardware? I don't know, but TicWris is $15 (US) cheaper than the LEMFO

TicWris is not supported by the development community at large (yet). As far as I could tell, the DevX and other development teams have no interest in TicWris as a company, nor the Max (other than one guy making live watch faces), and rather continue to work on the Lem T. There's no support section or even talk of TicWris as far as I saw. The Lem T might therefore be a better option, because if there is a problem a developer is probably solving it and sharing it with others.

In the end I bought a LEMFO Lem TLEMFO was honest about their product specs and seems to offer 'decent' support (for a Chinese made and distributed product). TicWris--who knows--purchasing one seems to be like purchasing a wheel off AliExpress: you'll get something, but only God knows what you'll get and once you get it that's what you have, hope the money you saved was worth it. I was using a phone to watch speed and battery, but there's too much risk of dropping it while wheeling along. The Lem T isn't going to be able to replace anything but a bottom-of-the-line phone, as the battery might not last a day unless almost everything is turned off; the processor is pretty slow; and the display is low-resolution, not super-great contrast nor that bright, and hard to read in sunlight; and it only has 3G RAM / 32G storage with no expansion slot, so "not much."

So why buy a watch that "isn't great?" The thing is I know sooner or later the phone will slip from my hand onto the pavement, probably at a high rate of speed, and get broken--then I have to buy, wait, and configure a new phone. The watch is stuck to my wrist and if it gets broken I can use my phone until its replaced. It has a huge screen (for a watch), so I can read it instead of squinting at it. And it will look good with the crazy outfit I'm putting together to go wheeling in (it asthetically fits!). In 7 to 35 days I'll know more...

LEMFO Lem T: 4G LTE, WiFi, -=>3GB/32GB<=- RAM/storage, 2.86" screen, $160 (US) incl. shipping

TicWris MAX: $146 (US) incl. shipping

(note there's a 5G version for ~+$30, but 5G isn't a well-defined standard, and if you need the speed to send that much data the battery life is going to be squibble) 

Edited by WI_Hedgehog
(schpelling)
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

So, having used my new Ticwris Max for the first time while riding I noticed afterwards on my EUC World tour that it seems to have stopped recording data for a bunch of minutes 2 times during the tour. It's not bluetooth connectivity because I would have heard the connection lost alert, looking at the spots where it lost connectivity it seems to start when I go indoors (1st in a mall 2nd small store/post office) so I suspect it's weak GPS signal and it seems like it takes a while for it to resume again once you are outside and start riding (it resumes at another location some distance away from where it stopped). Unfortunately I seem to lack logs for this rides (I have data logging on will investigate this separately) so I can not compare to CSV file if data was collected. So basically seems like Ticwris Max might loose GPS indoors, will take a while to find GPS signal again when outside and EUC World will stop recording the tour meanwhile.

Anyone experience anything similar?