Clip-on Helmet Lights

AtlasP

Many motorcycle comm systems like the one I have (Cardo Freecom 4+) have clip mounts for the bottom edge of the helmet (like these: https://cardosystems.com/shop/freecom-metal-clamp) so you can mount the unit without having to modify/stick anything to the helmet itself.

I want but can't seem to find any helmet lights that work this way. (Both a rear red light and a side-mounted, forward-facing light.) Surely this should exist and I'm just not using the right search terms? It seems fundamentally superior to having to stick/adhere something onto the surface of the helmet.

Edit: I've found some clamp-on helmet lights for construction hard-hats/equiv but which would seem to undermine the structural integrity of a riding helmet. Still nothing that resembles the clip for a comm system.

Edit2: Realizing the dilemma might be that a) bicyclists who want helmet lights can easily mount things through all the holes (like this https://amazon.com/dp/B01LZ2M7MK/), whereas b) motorcyclists with smooth enclosed helmets have no shortage of larger/beefier lights on their actual motorcycles. I guess there's little demand for helmet lights on specifically smooth enclosed helmets, like comm systems need to? Still hoping to be proven wrong if anyone can point me to a single option. Alternatively I might try to pick up a few of the above linked Freecom mount clamps and mod them/try attaching my lights to them--which should work for a side flashlight pointed forward but probably not for the curvature around the back to mount a red tail light.

Edited by AtlasP

I’m looking at a side mounted headlight for my TSG Pass. I opted for a GoPro Session mount

Site_LowProfSwivelMount_2_D.jpg?sfrm=jpg

it’s adhered to the helmet, but at least the mounting system allows you to strip it down to just the mounting plate if you don’t want the light.

I’m planning on mounting  a cheap headlight from AliExpress

WasaFire-5000lm-Bike-Light-XM-L2-LED-Wat

using a GoPro tripod adapter, also from Ali

Universal-Conversion-Adapter-Mini-Tripod
Hopefully it all works. I was going for a light with an external batttery to try and save on the weight hanging off the side of my helmet. It’ll either go in my pocket or my backpack.

Edited by Mortal Coil

I had a different solution some time back.  20181227_191519.thumb.jpg.f2541415bb198dd93a77246951142252.jpg

The rear and head lights are mounted on a tube like mount. This allows me to ajust the angle of the light. I had the headlight pointing faily steep down to awoid blinding traffic. as it is up to 1600 lumien strong. It has a buttom switch to mount on handle bar ( or my finget) with a rubber band That allow me to switch on/off and different strength. Separately  toggle on/off/light mode rear/frontlight. you can get these stronger but the problem is you blind oncomming traffic.

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

I like to use little neodym magnets for my backlight. So I can mount and dismount it within seconds. All you need is a strong doublesided self-adhesive tape. This should also work for a front light, especially when it's only the light and the powerbank is separated, tough there you will have to manage the cord between. Cheap and strong solution because the magnets are really strong.

20200223_124952_copy_784x1613.jpg

20200223_124920_copy_1613x784.jpg

20200223_133107_copy_784x1613.jpg

20200223_133008_copy_784x1613.jpg

20200223_125054_copy_1613x784.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, I've found all the GoPro mounts but I simply don't want to adhere anything to the helmet/it just shouldn't be necessary when more elegant solutions like those used for comm systems are possible.

The strap idea seems feasible but undermines the minimalism/futurism of the helmet.

I like the magnet idea (at least for the rear light which are typically small/light). Maybe I'll try a mix of magnets for rear light and modding a comm system clip to mount a side->front light.

(Of course if anyone has any more suggestions, please keep 'em coming.)

Magnets!

Those neodymium magnets are pretty strong. If you could mount a set of magnets up against the inside of the helmet shell you might get enough force that a light with another set of magnets would attach securely to the outside.

This would probably only be possible over the ears or the chin bar though. The skull of a helmet generally has impact foam moulded against it and you wouldn’t want to compromise that.

If I had to adhere something I wouldn't use magnets. I would use 3m dual lock either clear or black what ever fits helmet best. 

• Like 1