Hidden Camera inside Helmet

I've had already some minor incidents with people since I started EUCing, this includes cars, bicycles and pedestrians (never motorcycles). The incidents range from people simply not paying attention to just plain a-holes that purposely pushed me (people), threaten me by coming at me or closing me forcing me to stop (cars and bicycles).

This morning some guy thought it would be fun to push me and try to steal my Tesla. This ended with him receiving a good lesson. Hopefully he's learned that he shouldn't mess with people looking like robocop :innocent1:

As you've guessed, I'm looking for a camera to "protect" me a little more (and other people) from these issues with the aim of bringing these subjects to justice (and maybe upload a thing or two to youtube).

I've read a lot here about how having a visible camera changes people's reaction, but I think that you shouldn't give a chance to those who likes misbehaving to stop doing it while they are being recorded. Also you risk having your camera destroyed by falling or having one encounter with a smart a-hole.

So I am in a quest for finding a good camera to fit inside my TSG Pass. To my surprise they seem to be really cheap and convenient to remove them for charging because of their magnetic mount: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819RN617

Does anybody use them or have a better suggestion? :eff01bbbfc:

• Like 1

Why a hidden camera? People tend to behave more rationally (especially the police) when they know you're recording them. :)
Whatever camera you choose, make sure it has a decent video quality at night. And it's waterproof. Some people post videos of a camera on YouTube.
Also, audio is also important. For example if someone threatens you verbally, or stuff like that.

I'm using SJCAM A10 and it has decent quality at night. Google Police Body Camera and you'll find hundredths of rugged, waterproof models.

Edited by atdlzpae

13 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

Why a hidden camera? People tend to behave more rationally (especially the police) when they know you're recording them. :)

Because you are giving them a chance to behave rationally instead of catching them being their usual dangerous selves ;)

7 hours ago, euccommuter said:

Because you are giving them a chance to behave rationally instead of catching them being their usual dangerous selves ;)

I think the idea though is to avoid those situations.  I understand that you want to catch them in the act, but if it puts you at risk and potentially in a life threatening, is it really worth it to let them act out? 

8 hours ago, euccommuter said:

I've had already some minor incidents with people since I started EUCing, this includes cars, bicycles and pedestrians (never motorcycles). The incidents range from people simply not paying attention to just plain a-holes that purposely pushed me (people), threaten me by coming at me or closing me forcing me to stop (cars and bicycles).

I seem to remember folk in Switzerland being quite a peaceful bunch but they were sticklers for the rules. Are you sure it's not something you're doing that's upsetting people?  

1 hour ago, EvoKnvl said:

I think the idea though is to avoid those situations.  I understand that you want to catch them in the act, but if it puts you at risk and potentially in a life threatening, is it really worth it to let them act out? 

Of course I understand that it is better to have any edge possible in order to avoid these situations, and having a visible camera is one of them. We agree 100%.

With this thread I'm trying to find an alternative to having a camera for security purposes (or other reason) and not wanting to publicly display it.

1 hour ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I seem to remember folk in Switzerland being quite a peaceful bunch but they were sticklers for the rules. Are you sure it's not something you're doing that's upsetting people?

That I've been told. Unfortunately I'm still not there, 2 months to go :D

Other of the reasons for starting this thread is exactly that. A friend of mine who is living in Switzerland told me that the Swiss take extremely seriously their privacy, and going around with a camera recording everything is usually not a good idea.

@euccommuter First link in Google: https://www.englishforum.ch/transportation-driving/294282-dash-cams-legal-switzerland.html

They are neither explicitly legal nor illegal.
There have been court cases where dash cam recordings were admitted as evidence and also court cases where they were not admitted as evidence.

- Dash cam recordings cannot be used for entertainment purposes.
- Dash cam shall not be used to act as self acclaimed "traffic deputy sheriffs"
- Dash cam recording should only be used in serious traffic accidents

Just use it openly. If someone attacks you for it, you have the evidence. ;)

9 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

- Dash cam recordings cannot be used for entertainment purposes.

I think this is what my friend was talking about. Honestly I don't know how the police would react to somebody riding an illegal vehicle (EUC are not legal to ride in Switzerland) while publicly using a camera allegedly for entertainment purposes :eff01bbbfc:

Thanks for providing more information @atdlzpae but I'll go with a hidden camera (if someone can share their experience with them I'll be really grateful :))

13 minutes ago, euccommuter said:

Honestly I don't know how the police would react to somebody riding an illegal vehicle (EUC are not legal to ride in Switzerland) while publicly using a camera allegedly for entertainment purposes

As long as it's a professional looking Body Cam, I don't think anyone would think it's for entertainment. People are not that dumb. ;)

On the other hand if you were holding a selfie stick with Insta360... :P

Edited by atdlzpae

19 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

As long as it's a professional looking Body Cam, I don't think anyone would think it's for entertainment.

I'd rather not take my chances with people's perception. I know many people who just don't like to get recorded (me included), and even turn away whenever they see (professional) TV cameras, google map cars, people taking photos, etc.

Now imagine an aggressive guy (or police) with this phobia seeing you recording happily everything... Now that's also a way of looking for trouble.

• 1 month later...

Hi,
I ride motorbike too and I'm always recording with a camera in my helmet, now it is one Drift Ghost X Camera and I'm thinking in attach it to my euc helmet too for safety reasons also and some times get some video of nice places.
I think it is a good idea record it in case of accident or some kind of attack.
See you

56 minutes ago, PedroTec said:

.....Drift Ghost X Camera...

Pics of the camera on your helmet?

Thanks,

Bruce

15 hours ago, PennBruce said:

Pics of the camera on your helmet?

Thanks,

Bruce

it is not good as a gopro but looks nice in the side of the helmet

lM-FgEGZAjUbkJT1s_hk6ZUWWnN4-q2pbxMY2v_p

Edited by PedroTec

15 hours ago, Hansolo said:

The problem with this type of video "evidence" is that it's heavily edited by the owner. In the first few seconds of the video we assume a car has overtaken the rider and then immediately turned into a parking spot - the driver would obviously be completely at fault here but it doesn't show the car overtaking. What if the car had stopped in the road before pulling into the parking spot - I suspect the rider would then be at fault. Thing is without the moments before the incident we can't say who's to blame so it just doesn't make good evidence. Obviously, because those vital seconds have been edited out, I have my suspicions ;) 

7 hours ago, PedroTec said:

it is not good as a gopro but looks nice in the side of the helmet

I ordered the "X" last night.

Thought long and hard about the "XL" but decided the "X" would be sufficient.

Bruce

17 hours ago, Hansolo said:

@mike_bike_kite you want the full video?

The car was not stopped, it passed me and pulled back in front of me.

I have thirty years of experience as a professional driver. You learn a few things over thirty years, one of them is that people forget what is behind them in small fractions of a second. I have had people in cars run their vehicle right in front of a very large truck countless times and immediately hit the brakes. If people are willing to do that with a truck, imagine what they will do when they are the multi-thousand pound vehicle and you are 200lbs or less.

:facepalm: