First Ride King Song 18XL

bigwave

12 hours ago, Unventor said:

It took me 350km to have my first accident trying to learn emergency braking. Flaft back/butt albatros landing.

Butt-plant? How'd you manage that? The only time I've ever butt-planted was when my V8 cut off on me (zero warning or tiltback) while going down a very steep hill with 100% battery.

@ShanesPlanet, @bigwave, I don't know if you guys live in a very hilly area, but it's worth knowing: starting a downhill route with 100% battery (if you live at the top of a hill, which I used to) can have the same effect as an overlean-induced cutout: the braking induces regenerative load, which charges the battery, which is already at 100% and won't accept and more charge, so the wheel can switch off the gyroscope in certain cases to prevent overloading. Most wheels will tilt you back so you're unable to ride any further, but for some reason, mine skipped that step in that one occasion and my tailbone was sore for a couple of weeks. Lesson being: if there's a lot of downhill at the very start of your route, only charge the wheel to 90%. And if you're absent-minded like I am and fail to take your own advice, ride around in circles, or uphill, for a little bit, just to discharge it a tad. Then again, it was a steep hill, I was braking aggressively and the wheel only failed to warn me just that once, but still, thought I'd share, not being aware of this little tidpit of knowledge at the time proved to be a pain in the ass (pun intended) ;)

Anyway, I hope someone is able to find a glimmer of usefulness in the answer to a question nobody asked---which stemmed from me going off-topic in the first place :whistling:

The real lesson being: do as mods say, not as we do... :roflmao:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, travsformation said:

Butt-plant? How'd you manage that? The only time I've ever butt-planted was when my V8 cut off on me (zero warning or tiltback) while going down a very steep hill with 100% battery.

The short answer is.... 

Gravel on asphalt planning (almost like aquaplaning) with a lot of unlucky events... 

Just a reminder there are nicer looking pictures out there in the world. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

A beautiful day here resulted in a 60 km ride ! 

For the record there is no hockey padding involved in todays tour! 

IMG_5337.jpg

Edited by bigwave
  • Like 2

On 3/7/2020 at 7:01 PM, travsformation said:

Anyway, I hope someone is able to find a glimmer of usefulness in the answer to a question nobody asked---which stemmed from me going off-topic in the first place

@travsformation Thank you for the tip. I had heard that about my OneWheel as well. Overall its pretty flat here ,just your typical up/down grades that you would encounter in every day driving. When things dry out a bit I'm going to search out some off road trails .

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bigwave said:

A beautiful day here resulted in a 60 km ride ! 

For the record there is no hockey padding involved in todays tour! 

IMG_5337.jpg

You look like such a badass, haha. There were a bunch of group rides this past weekend. Gotta get you on the facebook or telegram group so you can come out. If you're doing 60km rides, then you can hang out for our extended range rides! We already got a few newer riders joining the mix yesterday!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know whats better. Buying wheels for your wife and then repeatedly realizing she doesnt want to ride so you keep them yourself... Having a wife that keeps using your wheels and rides with you. Having lotsa wheels and a wife that can't possibly keep up on foot after 2 miles? :)     I wanna see you two play some tiltback top speed chicken!! Rules are.... you are not allowed to duck your head... can you imagine the pileup, it'd look like batman convention had a bomb...         Kudos on the learning, she is picking it up fast. Now you gotta have at least ONE wheel that is WAY faster than the rest and totally claim it as yours only.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

It looks like she's doing really well. Is she going to inherit one of your wheels or will she start a collection of her own?

She is progressing along at a nice pace. The weather has been terrible the last week or so. She has only been getting out once a week. Today was the first time she rode 2 days in a row.

She will be riding the 18XL. I got the Nikola so we would have 2 "bigger" wheels along with the Mten3. Its funny ,she has only been on the 18XL 3 times and now she has parked the Mten3. She told me she really likes how smooth the 18XL is. I think we will wait for version 2 of the S18 before we add to the collection.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Now you gotta have at least ONE wheel that is WAY faster than the rest and totally claim it as yours only.

I think the Nikola is that faster wheel but I'm not sure about the "yours only" . She has already asked me about trying it....lol :laughbounce2:

• Like 1

My dads been getting heavy wobbles on the 16s. Ive been trying to convince him to ride my 18xl, as all he needs is a little acceleration and he'll be breezy. But hes stubborn and wont listen, haha. One thing I learned over my year and 7000km of riding is, make sure you're well fed before riding. On days i didnt eat, id get wobbles. Ive never noticed int he past the direct correlation between eating and the sport i was doing. I could just kinda perform on demand. But i actually feel it with this. He went out yesterday on an empty stomach and was wobbling more than normal and i think it bummed him out,. So gonna make sure he gets a good meal in this time. Riding is so interesting. Even if you get down the beginning stages, it progresses slowly over time as you begin to get more comfortable and advanced in the things you can do. 

• Like 2