First Ride King Song 18XL

bigwave

I am at 140lbs in the mountains and my wheel doesnt seem to suffer. I dont know about 200lbs, but i HOPE the firmware has a buffer even at 31mph. Im not aggressive, but I have climbed some steep hills and asked for acceleration at 25+mph, and it worked. Ive yet to overlean, typically I run out of pedal to lean on or the angle is so great that I cant go too far. I am gripping the wheel with my legs more, to get more power, but I still havent hit that cutoff point yet. On hills, I fear traction more than cutout. Reduced speed tiltback on lower battery seems to leave buffer too. I can hit the lower speed cutoff in the hills and still no cutout. Only one real way to know for sure i guess... push it and keep pushing until it fails? Tis my strategy when i get new off orad tires on the bike. Push it until i fall. Im not so dedicated to try that ont he euc at top speed tho. Grats on the progress! I still cant ride backwards, and sawing in place on this 18L is beyond my reach atm. Its neat how a handfull of days off and you gain some kind of renewed ability to progress. 20 mph is glorious aint it?!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, bigwave said:

It was interesting that after a week of no riding (little bit of Hallway practice) I was doing slow figure 8s better...lol . Also did several starts with my non dominant left foot on the wheel .I was going to start learning some basic backwards today but I chickened out...lol

I have 2 year of riding and done 4000isk km, yet I still only use my dominant leg for initiating starts 99.999% of the time. And I tried to do a little backward riding... Nope that didn't work out at all. 

Congratulations on the 200km+ range. I don't get how you can have a 42 kmh setting and then ride at 50-55kmh. But maybe I read it wrong.  (Just woke up and couldn't go back to sleep). 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Unventor said:

I have 2 year of riding and done 4000isk km, yet I still only use my dominant leg for initiating starts 99.999% of the time.

This makes me see just how addicted I am. I've just passed my first year of riding and I have 6500km of riding total. 700ish on the 16s and 5800km on my 18XL that I got in april last year, haha. 

I learned how to start riding with my off leg, but its super sketchy and now with my new tire, feels impossible, haha. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, bigwave said:

That is excellent advice and totally applies to me in the stage I'm at. I'm very fortunate to live in a rural area where traffic in midday is very light. Still ,a snowmobile towing an ice hut almost ruined my day. Who'da thought lol. 

It'll continue to apply as you get more (over)confident too... ;)

I also learned in a rural area...it was great! But my main threat were dogs and the occasional car. But snowmobiles towing ice huts? :roflmao:

(I think this calls for @Rehab1's photoshop skills)

22 minutes ago, bigwave said:

One thing is for sure, I have no desire to go that 50 kph thats available to me now. I'm sure it's an age thing but I very vividly remember some of my Motocross crashes and that was dirt(hard dirt at times ). Thats why I'm seriously thinking an Mten3  as the next wheel. Playing around at slow speeds looks super fun! 

I'm young & foolish but 50 kph on an EUC still seems insane to me! ;) I've had my fair share of injuries though...that probably plays its part in "bone-brittleness awareness" :whistling:

Yeah, mten3 looks like great fun!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Do it. I've been having a blast with this new 67-volt version. I have noticed zero difference between it and my 84-volt version. 

A disease I tell you, and its spreading! I ordered a 67v from ewheels today. I also figured it would be awesome to have to putt around on, work on some freestyle stuff and have a standby. I know its relative, but the price of the older model in 67v is hard to ignore. Seems like the natural thought process around here. You too BigWave. Your mirrored my thoughts exactly. 

Now about this 31mph thing. I honestly cant see that it seems so much faster than 20mph. Anything over running speed and I just quit thinking about it. I equate it similar to flying. Once you're 50 foot high, its no different than 500', as you are just plain screwed.  I am also in the overconfident stage, as I keep hitting the limiter and yet have a hard time stopping smoothly. Priorities tho right?

Let us know if you come to conclude that you NEED an mten3, before the cheap ones are gone. If not, let us know how you like the newer version, once you break down and order it anyhow.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Now about this 31mph thing. I honestly cant see that it seems so much faster than 20mph. Anything over running speed and I just quit thinking about it. I equate it similar to flying. Once you're 50 foot high, its no different than 500', as you are just plain screwed

Great way of summarizing it! :roflmao:

28 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I am also in the overconfident stage, as I keep hitting the limiter and yet have a hard time stopping smoothly. Priorities tho right?

Yeah, that's a tricky stage...you want to enjoy the freedom, let go and enjoy the wheel starting to become an extension of your body, but at the same time, you're inadvertently exceeding your skill level. It can be hard to strike the right balance, if there actually is such a thing... If it's of any consolation, we've all been there, and the 2nd wave of overconfidence is far more dangerous than the first  :efee612b4b:

Do you the get wobbles when braking? I found that when re-learning to ride after upgrading to the 18XL, I'd get serious wobbles when braking. Funnily enough, I found it much easier to power brake than to normal brake: squeeze the wheel tight, dig your heels in, lean back and aggressively "push the wheel in front of you". I don't whether it was the iron grip, the sheer impetus I put into it, or something more psychological connected with braking so aggressively I didn't have time to think, and thus doubt, but it worked for me...

Another thing that can really help is to carve (a little) while braking. It seems to help counteract the wobbles. I do it a lot on the 16X, which is a lot harder to brake on than the 18XL, possibly because it's lacking that nice, broad surface area to grip onto with your calves (lean backward too much and you're left with nothing to grip onto), so I've found myself carve-braking much more than I would on the 18XL, which us much easier to brake with (especially since FW 2.0).

It isn't a bad idea to practice "emergency braking" from time to time: try coming to a complete stop at 15, 20 & 25 km/h as fast as you can, and take note of the distance it took you. Then (if you're up to it), try at your usual cruising speed. It isn't only good practice, it can be quite the eye-opener as well ;)

• Like 3

Yes, i wobble under braking. Not mild braking, but medium braking for sure. I too find it oddly easier to just 'power brake' if the medium brake starts the wobble. I dont suffer this under normal decelleration(sp?). Of course, I am a total noob and it seems that its more of rider error, than anything inherent in the wheel. I am chalking it up to similarities of when i couldnt understand why i wobbled at 20mph. Somehow... it just stopped happening or i quit noticing. I am always in direct contact with the wheel on my legs. Maybe its wrong and maybe it makes me a worse rider, but i just prefer the light feel of having it touch the legs. Hell, I do the same on motorcycles. Where I ride, the places to safely stop are few and far. MOST of my braking is a: 25mph grab a pulloff with no room and STOP like a M**erfu**r. If i dont pull off at speed, i fear Ill get run over.  I foresee a VERY rude learning curve when I get the mten. 10" of 'how the hell you hang onto this thing?"

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I had to Google this. Unbelievable! My advice.....dress differently so they can see you. ;)

49624269923_66446370f9_b.jpg

:roflmao:

I knew I could count on you (and that this particular "challenge" would be too enticing to ignore) ;)  I really like the spin you gave it!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, travsformation said:

BTW, if the sexy element can't be achieved, there are other ways to stand out... (anything in the same of safety, right?)  :efee612b4b:

637d4ebd-405b-4f6a-a73d-c189b7e1af6a.jpg

You worry me buddy.;)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

You worry me buddy.

I'm just realistic...I don't know how you expect any of us here to somehow resemble that stunning blonde...who I hope never to cross paths with while riding, as I can envision only two possibilities:

1. I ride into a ditch while I stare at her...wheel
  2. A passing driver is equally spellbound and runs me over while we both admire her...winter-ready attire?
Edited by travsformation
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, travsformation said:

I'm just realistic...I don't know how you expect any of us here to somehow resemble that stunning blonde...

Steve actually looked pretty hot. :facepalm: My god we butchered this thread. 

47961704732_7efef099fa_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Steve actually looked pretty hot.

Now I'm the one who's starting to worry...

3 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

My god we butchered this thread. 

A mod and a former mod walk into a bar thread... :whistling:

• Like 2

On 3/5/2020 at 9:50 PM, travsformation said:

That would be epic!

Don't mean to be the party-pooper, but at the 200 km mark, confidence starts to settle in and it's easy to find yourself riding at speeds where when all is smooth cruising, life is great, but if anything unexpected happens and you have to swerve, for instance, your skill level isn't quite there yet. I found out when, while happily cruising at 30 kph, a dog ran out at me from nowhere. I somehow managed to dodge him without falling off, but it was a close call, and prompted me to start drilling emergency maneuvers: emergency braking,  break-n-swerve, etc. (Careful though, there's risk in such tests too, even at slow speed...I ended up spraining my wrist) :efee612b4b:

Just a reminder...I know how easy it is to get carried away ("wise" words from a guy who went on a 10 km joy ride yesterday, only two weeks after his sling came off, and had to use all his will power to keep his speed under 40 km/h...) :whistling:

It took me 350km to have my first accident trying to learn emergency braking. Flaft back/butt albatros landing.

Then about 2000km a unexpected traffic event with dislocated shoulder. 

I was nearly run down 2 this prevuois week, when I chased down the car giving the driver a tell off for not using indicators or checking before turning. Avoind one of these only due to the expireance. One turned less than 3m when I came around 25kmh .That was a close call. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

Sorry for hijacking your thread, @bigwave....  :facepalm:

But you aren't officially one "one of us" until you've had at least one thread seriously derailed... :whistling:

Nothing to be sorry about! 

I actually read back to see where the Thread went off the rails . I think the "Hockey Gear/Batman" caused a wobble but a nice recovery followed. But ,the "snowmobile ice hut incident " for sure caused the yard sale!...lol

Its all very entertaining!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigwave said:

Nothing to be sorry about! 

I actually read back to see where the Thread went off the rails . I think the "Hockey Gear/Batman" caused a wobble but a nice recovery followed. But ,the "snowmobile ice hut incident " for sure caused the yard sale!...lol

Its all very entertaining!!!

Yeah, the Batman/Hockey-pads was a near-derail... :efee612b4b:

I love the atmosphere in this forum,  and am glad others partake in the amusement rather than get annoyed (which would also be understandable) hehe

• Like 1