First Ride King Song 18XL

bigwave

@bigwave that it nothing less than awesome looking. Good job on the slight bend in the knees, that is your suspension.

Like I said I don't thing a leach would benafit your much. Main reason your brain it working hard processing this new balance sensation. I found I worried more dropping the wheel than focusing riding it with the leach. Also the leach becomes something you pull at making the balancing part more difficult. 1 or 2 days more you will be zipping about if weather permits it. 

Keep up the great progress and work. 👍👌

About turning. I don't understand French but @Hirsute made some great learning videos. This on is how to control turning.

You need to master/have fair control over 3 things. 

1) mounting and dismounting the wheel. 

2) braking. 

3) turning. 

Once you can do these thing you can start adventureing about. Once you do that you get much more relaxed and it becomes much easier. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2

@Unventor, Thank you for sending the video. That rider is super talented! I will try turning using the shoulder method. I did manage to turn(only left) within the width of my street several times but its still sketchy . Yes, they are the 3 key components to master. While I got most of my starts, only a couple were smooth. Practice. My Dismounts on the other hand were perfect! I practiced them a lot indoors and it translated nicely to outdoors. I do a little turn to the left and step off. I worked a little on the braking by sitting back a bit to get the feel. I slowed pretty quick but I was not going very fast. 

@ShanesPlanet Indeed, that was an excellent post. I'm not sure about what OLD MAN your talking about? Certainly not me....lol. Its funny how my first comment about the 18XL was the weight and yesterday I didn't even notice it! I practiced the circle drill with the one leg on a lot indoors. When I get a little more comfortable riding I'm going to start practicing with my non dominant leg (left) to control so I have better chance of saving it if I have to remove my right foot. I don't think I'll be getting too much riding in due to the weather currently.

@travsformation I was really hesitant to even try to ride yesterday. I had envisioned grass as my first attempt but thats not happening anytime soon. So, the Hockey gear made the program! I was initially concern on how the shin guards would feel against the wheel but it actually felt pretty good. They will be good for the cooler weather in the spring but I'll get some Leatt's for summer. I also didn't use my MX Helmet yesterday. Like the shin guards, I was concerned of the feel so I just went with a snowboard helmet . I'll practice with the full face indoors today to get comfortable. I want to use the MX Helmet full time as it offers the best safety. 

Edited by bigwave
spelling
  • Like 2

Its okay to admit to being old. Wasnt long ago in american history, making it to the ripe old age of 40 was a miracle. I am willing to accept that I'm over 40 and more than likely past the halfway point. Arthritis, lack of memory, many things to remind me each morning that I am indeed NOT young. Unlike many, I dont care Im old and will continue to do wtf I want, even if Im more likely to be injured, Im losing motor function and dont heal like I used to. Young people seem amazed at what some of us 'old' people do, since its more common for people to become boring and scared as they age. It aint like this stuff gets easier as we age, but some of us would prefer to live our lives rather than bow down to responsibility by default.  Noone relies on me for anything, so i can be entirely selfish in my pursuit of happiness, tis a great feeling! Its amazing how the majority gets closer to the end, and THEN decide that living a longer life of boredom is better than enjoying the time you have as much as possible, be damned how long it goes. Kudos to ALL of us that still weigh risk and reward with a little more abandon than the expected. Heart attack on a EUC > heart attack in a hospital bed. If the last thing I see before meeting my maker, is the side of a mountain at terminal velocity with an euc chasing me overhead, I'll call that a damn WIN!!

The only time I find turning to be a little challenging, is when Im trying to do it at 15-20mph. Its still pretty easy, just a little less smooth. Turning is like on a bicycle/motorcycle. Look, lean, go. Slow speed and high speed, I lock my inside leg into the top of the wheel and lean it over that way. I routinely scrape pedal at very low speed tight turns.  Dedicate to trying and youll find its easier than you thought. I can usually spin until im dizzy, w/o leaving one marked lane. If I learned it quickly, it obviously can't be too tough.  I tried overthinking turns and remembering what each leg is doing, but in the end... lock that leg into the euc and lean over to taste. I find turning to be WAAAY easier than getting on from a stop. If you want to give yourself a challenge, practice starts and 180's on soft, wet grass on a slight incline. I spent my first 2 days in a wet, grassy, uneven yard. Once i got the nerve to hit uneven asphalt, i realized it was so much easier. First concrete parking lot (flat) i rode on, and I almost laughed at how easy it was, in compare.  I only hit the ground once(grass) and it was simply because i decided to bail at a speed greater than I thought it was. Pretty misleading for sure. I rolled out of the bail and was sore for 2 days (yes im old). Since then, only one more injury and it was because I managed to hit my own damn ankle with a pedal at a whopping 1mph standing. Holy crap, the bruise that showed was amazing for such a slight knock. Still, I suffered much worse as a child, learning to ride bikes and skateboards. Now that I can ride well enough to enjoy it, I dont focus much on learning, as it just happens when you ride more. It also helps that my only goal is to enjoy it. Im a person that quits enjoying things,  once it becomes goal oriented or when i start being critical of what im doing. Ride, ride, ride. .. it'll come to you or it wont. In the end... is it fun?  I dont know about you, but I freaking LOVE it! Rolling down the neighborhood aimlessly is surely a way to enjoy life more than watching the TV and being brainwashed by the news. My biggest problem now, the rain and cold weather piss me off more. I am SOO ready for spring, I wanna get some tours worth mention under my belt and feel that warm breeze on my face...   fwiw, Im not sure shin injury is very likely on the list. I suspect that ankle, elbow, knee,wrist and face are more likely. Im eagerly waiting to see how my first 20mph face plant goes. I aint got much for teeth anyhow, and am already ugly.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

@ShanesPlanet if I didn't calculate wrong your are approaching the meaning if life soon, 42. And you discovered EUC riding. This will be your summer 😁.

If you have missed what 42 is a reference to. Look up Douglas Adams and 42 😉. Very funny book imho. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Espen R said:

@bigwave Great to see you ride. Looks like you and the 18XL are a perfect match:)

@Espen R Thank you! So far it has been a great choice. I'm a little confused about the pedal settings. Using the Darkness Bot I have 3 settings Soft, # 1 and Hard. Yesterday, I rode on #1 . Is it just a feel thing or do the setting affect the performance? 

@ShanesPlanet Yesterday ,all armoured up for the yard sale I did the same thing as you. I fumbled a start and the pedal clipped my ankle. I stung like a mother....

I even used my high tops but oh no. After the little bite I put on some Neoprene cuffs (old wetsuit) which I used to use for hockey. PITA to put on and off but might help. Of course I didn't fumble anything after that. I was just kidding about the Old Thing. I am old but I think young. As soon as I found out about EUC I was in! Age never was a factor in my decision to do this.

Edited by bigwave
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Unventor said:

@ShanesPlanet if I didn't calculate wrong your are approaching the meaning if life soon, 42. And you discovered EUC riding. This will be your summer 😁.

If you have missed what 42 is a reference to. Look up Douglas Adams and 42 😉. Very funny book imho. 

OF COURSE... 42 is the answer. I cant believe I didnt put it all together b4 you said anything. I answer with 42 all the time and in fact... I'll be 42 4 months... it is BOUND to be great!

Ever since the week long reminder about hitting the ankle, it hasnt happened since. Im pretty sure the learning curve has led me to a much more exciting crash in the future.  I ride in hard mode and learned that way. In soft grass, it seemed to help and Im also of the preference of immediate response. I would rather have too much response than too little, as the first can be mitigated thru riding style. I could be wrong in this assumption, but I have also learned that having TOO much power is better than too less. Its all about finesse'. I weigh in at a measly 135lb and ride at 35psi. Even at 20mph, it soaks up the rugged asphalt bumps and dips w/o too much rebound. I would guess that a larger man would do just fine at 40psi. When I go down curbs in town, my legs soak up the impact (as in skateboarding), so i am fairly certain i high pressure isnt needed. I havent gone UP many curbs, so I cant say how much compression of tire happens. I'd imagine its very slight, if you unload and pop it just right.  I tried 45psi but it liked to bounce a bit much at speed, bouncing off the pedals scares the sh** outta me.  I bet the answer to the tire pressure, starts at....42!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Its okay to admit to being old. Wasnt long ago in american history, making it to the ripe old age of 40 was a miracle. I am willing to accept that I'm over 40 and more than likely past the halfway point. Arthritis, lack of memory, many things to remind me each morning that I am indeed NOT young. Unlike many, I dont care Im old and will continue to do wtf I want, even if Im more likely to be injured, Im losing motor function and dont heal like I used to. Young people seem amazed at what some of us 'old' people do, since its more common for people to become boring and scared as they age. It aint like this stuff gets easier as we age, but some of us would prefer to live our lives rather than bow down to responsibility by default.  Noone relies on me for anything, so i can be entirely selfish in my pursuit of happiness, tis a great feeling! Its amazing how the majority gets closer to the end, and THEN decide that living a longer life of boredom is better than enjoying the time you have as much as possible, be damned how long it goes. Kudos to ALL of us that still weigh risk and reward with a little more abandon than the expected. Heart attack on a EUC > heart attack in a hospital bed. If the last thing I see before meeting my maker, is the side of a mountain at terminal velocity with an euc chasing me overhead, I'll call that a damn WIN!!

Amen, Brother.  Amen!

@bigwave I have never tried the softer settings:) Before the latest FW update, the hard setting felt soft to me, and since I came from a Onewheel where I didn’t like the soft settings, I didn’t even bother to try. I first started with a 30min session the evening we got home with the KS16S, and I rode up and down our gravel driveway a few times. The next day I went for a 5 km ride on fairly loose and muddy gravel, which left me drenched in sweat and totally exhausted. Probably did 100 starts and the equal number of ungraceful dismounts on that first long ride, good training though. For the next few days I only rode on gravel or grass, because I didn’t want to ride on the fairly busy road into town. When I finally rode on hard level ground, my brain couldn’t figure it out. It had gotten used to riding on rough surfaces where it had to do small corrections all the time, so I think the brain felt a bit unemployed on tarmac, and therefore started to invent unevenness that wasn’t there. So, my first ride into town was not very graceful:)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

If the last thing I see before meeting my maker, is the side of a mountain at terminal velocity with an euc chasing me overhead, I'll call that a damn WIN!!

Oh man, you just won the unofficial ”Phrase of the Year” award of 2020!

I think I finally found something I’d consider worthy of a tattoo.

:w00t2:

• Like 2

EUC tour or it didnt happen. :)   Im headed out myself. Cold here, but the lure is too great and its gna get colder. SOunds like it wont be long before theres nothing more for you to say in the 'first rides' category. We should start seeing you over in the 'insane tricks and speed' section soon?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigwave said:

@ShanesPlanet I don't think I'm posting anything anytime soon in the Speed and Trick section. I did hit 38 kph for a brief moment but I really enjoy the 20-30 cruising .I really like the 18XL ! Very smooth. The only weird thing its done 3-4 times is it beeps twice and then falls over when leaning against a wall. Its very random. I'll send eWheels an email about it.

how much of an angle are you leaning it at? you can lean any wheel against something and it wont turn off but it sounds like you are describing the tilt angle cut off... all remotely modern wheels have an angle at which they will cut power to the motor in case of an accident to prevent the wheel from thrashing around.. it is generally around 5 degrees greater than the angle that the pedal would hit the ground, so it wouldnt be possible to hit it while actually riding... when leaning it against a wall just stand it up more straight and it should never turn itself off until the battery dies

• Like 1