Wuhan Coronavirus - are you prepared?

atdlzpae

Catastrophe bonds have been triggered.

Now I find this to be the most interesting thing I've seen so far in this pandemic, because these financial tools are properly known as insurance bonds, or popularly known as "credit default swaps". Yes, those financial tools that were repackaged as AAA assets in 2008, and were directly responsible for an estimated $5,000,000,000,000.

You make money by picking up pennies in front of a moving steamroller.

In this case the dollar amounts are just $320 million, an extremely small amount.

This is not latest news, but I think it is still interesting to know:

Excerpt from the South China Morning Post:

610C5905-E185-4056-AB36-88E92D68E5D0.jpeg

This would also explain to me the “stealth like” spread of this “intelligent” virus. I am well aware that viruses are neither alive nor intelligent, but so is AI. 😝 

So: is it man made or zoonotic after all. (THAT is not a suggestion, just a question I would love to hear opinions and possibly more data to.)

Edited by Toshio Uemura
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

This is not latest news, but I think it is still interesting to know:

Excerpt from the South China Morning Post:

610C5905-E185-4056-AB36-88E92D68E5D0.jpeg

This would also explain to me the “stealth like” spread of this “intelligent” virus. I am well aware that viruses are neither alive nor intelligent, but so is AI. 😝 

So: is it man made or zoonotic after all. (THAT is not a suggestion, just a question I would love to hear opinions and possibly more data to.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misinformation_related_to_the_2019–20_coronavirus_pandemic

Never read the entire thing through, and probably the information has changed since, but at least earlier there were many conspiracy theories with countries blaming each other of creating the virus, yet all the experts studying the virus said that it is naturally evolved...

Edited by esaj
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Our Germany visitors are cutting their 30-day American riding vacation short so they can get on a plane today and arrive in Germany before Germany closes its borders this weekend.

Does that mean Germany is only closing its borders but everyone can still congregate within?

Right now, there are no formal restrictions what people can do (depends on the place, a village with a spike in cases has a curfew e.g.). Though non-essential stores are closed, larger gatherings/events are banned, restaurants are limited (but not entirely closed:facepalm: open for lunch time), and people are asked to stay home and away from each other. Mostly they do that, it was pretty sparse outside today, as are the open stores.

No general quarantine/curfew yet. Might happen soon though.

How is it for you?

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, esaj said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misinformation_related_to_the_2019–20_coronavirus_pandemic

Never read the entire thing through, and probably the information has changed since, but at least earlier there were many conspiracy theories with countries blaming each other of creating the virus, yet all the experts studying the virus said that it is naturally evolved...

I hate conspiracy theories and I always look at the data. But mid February I was reading this research paper from some young Chinese researchers and it made me wonder.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200214144447/https://www.researchgate.net/publication/339070128_The_possible_origins_of_2019-nCoV_coronavirus

7516B45D-297A-4F3F-AB54-E6B3693F8030.jpeg

31435C4B-2D38-4CC8-B3CC-8B28D1A023E8.jpeg

4D9228C0-EE0B-47D2-94A4-43384EA73E38.jpeg

6786BE6B-EC36-45AE-BFA7-EBFC70F0D8E9.jpeg

Edited by Toshio Uemura
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Stanford scientist conservatively estimates 77,000 lives have been saved so far due to lowered air pollution.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2020/03/16/coronavirus-lockdown-may-have-saved-77000-lives-in-china-just-from-pollution-reduction/

These are the lower end estimates, mind you.

Two months of pollution reduction “likely has saved the lives of 4,000 kids under 5 and 73,000 adults over 70 in China,” he writes on G-Feed, a blog maintained by seven scientists working on Global Food, Environment and Economic Dynamics.

To keep his calculations conservative, Burke assumed no additional deaths for people between the ages of 5 and 70. Burke tested his prediction with a more conservative mortality calculation and still emerged with 1,400 kids saved and 51,700 elderly.

May be, when all this is over in 1 or 2 years time people can learn how to achieve similar benefits without viral diseases and without crashing the economy. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

What do you think about the proposals in the abstract above?

This one: "The possible origins of 2019-nCoV coronavirus"?

Mere speculation without any evidence.

Even in China, - no - particularly China in 2020, and even more so in and around a class 4 bio hazard lab you are being so closely monitored that any suspicious or out of the ordinary behavior would be immediately followed on by the authorities.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I fabricated a PVC stand for my employee’s Purell station today. Being my employees have  high anxiety these days I also made a light up COVID -19 graphic for them to smack. 

Nicely done...but I prefer your EUC contraptions. Much more fun to watch.

Since I am working from home these days I miss something to watch ...despite I sneaked out at lunch riding my KS16X to the McDonnal today.

• Like 2

In Slovakia we are few steps further. From last Friday All schools are closed. Who can, is working from home. From this week only essential stores are opened (groceries, drugstores, gas stations, convient stores), restaurants are closed for sitting in, only takeaways are allowed. You can still go out but it’s strongly advised to stay home. Entry to stores, public transportation is allowed  only with respirators or equivalent cover. Hospital are in emergency mode. Borders are open only for supply traffic and people returning home.

29 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Since I am working from home these days I miss something to watch ...despite I sneaked out at lunch riding my KS16X to the McDonnal today.

Unfortunately my creativity and up beat spirit  have diminished. Trying to keep my staff smiling is a challenge these days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

32 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Unfortunately my creativity and up beat spirit  have diminished. Trying to keep my staff smiling is a challenge these days. 

I don't see how those are incompatible. Why not put on a show for your staff? "Burning COVID-19" could be a good title for the show 

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The entire state of California is now in lock-down. 40-million people. Can only go outside for food, etc. And it's open ended - until "they" say it's over.

I suspect the economic damage is going to be much worse than the virus.

It is double hit to china and afterwards to whole world. First virus now demand shock. At he moment there is zero need for any products apart food.

And scariest thing that this situation open ended.

I hope EUC producers will survive this..

In my small country Lithuania borders are closed, movement not prohibited but highly recommended. Restaurants, bars, cinemas all  public gatherings are prohibited.

Everyone who has possibility  working from home. At the moment we have 30 to 40 cases and all apart one are imported.

And now base scenario (but not official, official 2 weeks) that this lockdown duration will be not less than 3 months. 

• Like 1

Don’t worry people our governments will protect us as usual !

....”open ended”. Sounds awfully familiar. (ie: patriot act).  But this scenario appears to put everyone close to, what, martial law?

We are living an apocalyptic scenario ‘now’.  Stay tuned for..after.

Apologies  for the thread hijack.

13 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I also made a light up COVID -19 graphic for them to smack. 

Let’s hope it doesn’t bite back! 😱

But the idea is great 👍 

if you are afraid of the virus, you are weaker than the virus 🦠 So keep on the good smacking! Yeah!!

• Like 1