Wuhan Coronavirus - are you prepared?

atdlzpae

18 hours ago, LanghamP said:

This is an old person's disease

Please, for your own sake, don’t think you can’t get this. Make no mistake, whatever statistics say, young people will get this virus and unfortunately young people will die in high numbers from CoViD-19 or at least will be carriers responsible for the deaths of others. And once you realize that, life will never be the same. 

Edited by Toshio Uemura

2 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Trump, Biden, Sanders and some others. Trump already had a close call, I heard on the news. Wouldn’t that be a chance for Greta to become the FFFP,  the first female foreign president of the Americas? 🤣 What a thought. And the next step: FEMA concentration camps for the old and the elderly ... a better world at last!

Those old farts are democratically elected people, something Japan never had until about eighty years ago, and Japan has not been since been in a war with other nations.

I'd put Greta over any person from the business class to run the US. Hell, I could randomly select any thug from the ghetto, and I'd trust him over a businessman, especially if those old farts can't even pass a driver's license test.

Whoa hoa hoa hold the brake Batman!

Granted humans are the worst in the end. The world will be a much better place without us. HOWEVER, I am a human and I instinctively still want to survive this!

What every human can do right now is to try flattening the curve! I do my part and if you think you are a human then please do your part because we are all part of the curve!

Science_Covid19-Infographic.jpg

I still want to see Mten4 dammit!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Make no mistake, whatever statistics say, young people will get this virus and unfortunately young people will die in high numbers

Nobody has questioned or disagreed with that. Or with every single person having to take the virus seriously, and act accordingly.

To me it seems like you interpret the phrase ”old persons’ disease” quite differently than I do, and most of your comments seem to be based on that interpretation. To me it doesn’t mean that young or middle aged people wouldn’t catch or spread the disease. It only means that the infection is much more harmful for old people than it is for young people.

Based on the mentioned French statistics, if I were to catch the virus, I had about 0.6% chance of dying because of it.

I’ve had worse odds of survival than 99.4%.

Again, it doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t take it very seriously and take suitable measures. But I’m not awfully worried, as my worrying wouldn’t help me or others one bit. Quite the opposite.

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Based on the mentioned French statistics, if I were to catch the virus, I had about 0.6% chance of dying because of it.

I’ve had worse odds of survival than 99.4%.

Again, it doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t take it very seriously and take suitable measures. But I’m not awfully worried, as my worrying wouldn’t help me or others one bit. Quite the opposite.

I've arrived at about the same mortality rate.

I like the Coronavirus measures because they bring down air pollution. I'm hoping we'll declare a Coronavirus month long holiday every year, to reduce pollution and CO2 emissions. Locally, my neighborhood roads and streets are empty of drivers, people have almost entirely stayed home, and kids are playing outside on the streets (probably a terrible idea with Kung Flu).

What does a world look like without everyone working? It looks strangely appealing. Less pollution, more friendly neighbors, many people having BBQ. It's a week long block party! Yet it's not a vacation because people aren't traveling.

Again, I like the effects of Coronavirus very much. It's like high gas prices. People drive less, pollute less, buy less, litter less, there's more taxes, more bicyclists, more green cars, more consideration of alternative energy, more PEVs.

4 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

That may or may not be the fact, but the US is not the world, and even though more than many Americans may be gay, Africa suffers more from HIV then the rest of the world. And this fact makes your stereotype FAKE INFORMATION. 

The CDC has this to say about global HIV.

It is now well understood that HIV does not only affect the gay community but can also infect anybody, regardless of sex, ethnicity, or sexual orientation.[6] However, globally, MSM are still considered a "key population," meaning they have high rates of HIV and are at high risk for acquiring the virus.[7] MSM are only a small percentage of the U.S. population, but they are consistently the population group most affected by the HIV/AIDS virus and are the largest proportion of American citizens with an AIDS diagnosis who have died.[8] The United Nations estimates that 2 to 20% of MSM are infected with HIV, depending on the region they live in.[9]

For the US, 

2010 the CDC reported that MSM represented approximately 4 percent of the male population in the United States but male-to-male sex accounted for 78 percent of new HIV infections among men and 63 percent of all new infections.[24] Men overall accounted for 76% of all adults and adolescents living with HIV infection at the end of 2010 in the United States, and 80% (38,000) of the estimated 47,500 new HIV infections. 69% of men living with HIV were gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men. 39% (14,700) of new HIV infections in US men were in blacks, 35% (13,200) were in whites, and 22% (8,500) were in Hispanics/Latinos. The rate of estimated new HIV infections among black men (per 100,000) was 103.6—six and a half times that of white men (15.8) and more than twice the rate among Hispanic/Latino men (45.5) as of 2010.[25]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV_and_men_who_have_sex_with_men

@Toshio UemuraUemura may be surprised that men who take many other men's penises in their anus have higher incidents of HIV.

A 2010 study estimated that for every 100,000 MSM, 692 will be diagnosed with HIV. This makes MSM 60 times more likely to contract the virus than other men and 54 times more likely than women.[28]

Would it be a good or bad idea to start a thread for people to check in, as they are coming down with the virus? If the numbers are relatively small, it would be nice to see an empty thread. Of course, given the nature of the internet, perhaps such an admission and list, would be a wretched thing? Just pondering is all...

Wuhan virus? really?!---how racist is that- call it by its name (COVID-19)--- the last thing we need is for people to place the blame on a group of individuals who have gone through hell

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xorbe said:

We don't need virtue signalling here, chroma.

virtue? seriously--do not f-patronize me- --I cal it as it is--you people are one step from calling it the Chinese virus--- that's insulting

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, chroma said:

virtue? seriously--do not f-patronize me- --I cal it as it is--you people are one step from calling it the Chinese virus--- that's insulting

I've been calling it the Kung Flu. 

7 hours ago, chroma said:

Wuhan virus? really?!---how racist is that- call it by its name (COVID-19)--- the last thing we need is for people to place the blame on a group of individuals who have gone through hell

Many illnesses are named after an area where they originated or were prevalent etc, Spanish Flu, German Measles to name a couple.

I'd hardly call it racist.

• Like 2

Was at the Bank today.

They told me that the KfW (a German state owned Bank) will now pass out credits through all german banks for small and medium businesses. It does not matter if there is a risk of the company defaulting or not - they will get a credit...  

They also put in the "Kurzarbeitergeld" measures - So that employees get part of their payment by the government until the crisis passes and the companies become solvent again. 
This is a though one everywhere ...

Good Luck.

• Like 3

US- We were told by the government that employees will get paid. The business should pay employees and get a tax credit. If the business can’t afford to front the money the government would write an emergency check to the business. 
   I have not seen it happen yet. 

1 minute ago, Rehab1 said:

I’ve informed my employees that there maybe mandatory layoffs if the trend continues beyond a few weeks.

It's gonna be at least a few months. It's been more than two months since the Wuhan lockdown and the city is still empty. :( Unless you have a stockpile of N95's, I don't think it's wise to continue - you're risking your life, your family, your employers, your patients (maybe not, as children seem to be spared) and your patient's families.

5 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I can’t imagine what other businesses and their employees are now facing across the country and worldwide. Surreal.

Yeah, surreal. And it's only gonna get worse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

Many illnesses are named after an area where they originated or were prevalent etc, Spanish Flu

The “Spanish Flu” originated in America! And it became Pandemic, because America ignored it and exported it to Europe, where only the Spanish press was free and uncensored enoughto talk about this horrible disease, while the rest of the world wasn’t.
Unfortunately there are many parallels to CoViD-19 and it seems that not many humans have learned from the outbreak that enfolded in 1918-19 about 100 years ago. Look for documentaries about the Spanish Flu on YouTube. There is a lot to learn from.

CE47E1B9-032F-43DB-9174-271413345203.jpeg

Edited by Toshio Uemura
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

The “Spanish Flu” originated in America! And it became Pandemic, because America ignored it and exported it to Europe, where only the Spanish press was free and uncensored enoughto talk about this horrible disease, while the rest of the world wasn’t.

CE47E1B9-032F-43DB-9174-271413345203.jpeg

I didn't say where Spanish Flu originated, I'm making the point that it has a geographic name -  referring to a disease as Wuhan Flu etc is hardly racist.

• Like 2