Wuhan Coronavirus - are you prepared?

atdlzpae

3 hours ago, LanghamP said:

That's why I look at the Coronavirus in an almost entirely favorable light; it has shut down most of the world's industries and travel. It's insane that within the few short weeks air pollution levels have dropped over 40% in Chinese cities. Fear has turned everyone into an effective environmentalist, although probably not by choice.

This is a very interesting thought. However some may not live to see the benefits. 😢
When I looked at the numbers in Italy this morning, Italy lost almost a thousand people, while a bit over a thousand people have recovered. I am aware that this does not mean a fifty percent mortality rate, but such loss of lives makes me sad and dims the favorable light. ☀️....💡.... almost entirely.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

This is a very interesting thought. However some may not live to see the benefits. 😢
When I looked at the numbers in Italy this morning, Italy lost almost a thousand people, while a bit over a thousand people have recovered. I am aware that this does not mean a fifty percent mortality rate, but such loss of lives makes me sad and dims the favorable light. ☀️....💡.... almost entirely.

It shouldn't, because air pollution directly kills at least eight million people per year, according to this very recent study. By the way, this study just confirms an older Washington U study done about five years ago.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2196238-does-air-pollution-really-kill-nearly-9-million-people-each-year/

In addition, Kung Flu is temporary for the survivors while air pollution is not. 

In order to equal the number of deaths in Italy just from air pollution, you're looking at several thousand deaths per day.

Therefore, even a small reduction in air pollution would save far more life-days than a Kung Flu death. Coronavirus has the odd consequences of saving more lives than it kills, because it suppresses an even deadlier threat...air pollution.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Those eight million people that are killed directly by air pollution, I do not know, nor do I know any of the people who die in traffic every 25 seconds. But among the few that will die of CoViD-19 in my neighborhood might very well be two or three I know and love and care about. 

You only know people who breath clean air?

The number of lives saves in Italy will be tremendous compared to the lives lost to this (mild) virus.

https://earther.gizmodo.com/satellites-show-italys-air-pollution-dissipating-as-cov-1842316669

23 hours ago, LanghamP said:

You only know people who breath clean air?

The number of lives saves in Italy will be tremendous compared to the lives lost to this (mild) virus.

https://earther.gizmodo.com/satellites-show-italys-air-pollution-dissipating-as-cov-1842316669

Just wait until the economic impact of this will hit us. I think it is far too early to calculate loss and gain. But everyone who loses friends and loved ones will feel their losses, I‘m afraid. And then again, looking only at the bright side of things (as you do) is surely one strategy to cope with this crisis. Let’s hope it works for you in time of despair. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

Just wait until the economic impact of this will hit us. I think it is far too early to calculate loss and gain. But everyone who loses friends and loved ones will feel their losses, I‘m afraid. And then again, looking only at the bright side of things (as you do) is surely one strategy to cope with this crisis. Let’s hope it works for you in time of despair. 

The economic impact will favor society as a whole, because the mortality is virtually zero for people under the age of 40 years, and above 15% for people older than 60 years. This is an old person's disease, and kills off those who would otherwise spend years collecting government benefits.

48 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

And old citizens deserve to be protected and respected, not being “killed off”. 

Every person deserves to be protected and respected, nobody deserves to catch the Corona. I’m pretty sure that wasn’t @LanghamP’s point or wish. But the factual outcome just is blatantly obvious, old people will continue dying with much greater probability than younger ones.

If the virus mutates and the odds turn, then it will no longer be an ”old persons’ disease”, just like AIDS was understood not being only gay people’s disease once it spread further.

Again, nothing to do with respect or what anyone deserves. Just reading the statistics.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:50 AM, Kens said:

Yow people stop panic-buying!!! Calm the fluff down! This is not a zombie virus outbreak! :furious:

I totally agree. Here in Spain we are already locked at home. People are buying toilet paper like mad (I still don't know why). Experience in China shows that supermarkets will have food and we will be able to get it, so yes, buying some stuff to survive if going out for a few days is not convenient is probably a good decision, but 6 months worth of supplies is crazy.

Edited by manu
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Every person deserves to be protected and respected, nobody deserves to catch the Corona. I’m pretty sure that wasn’t @LanghamP’s point or wish. But the factual outcome just is blatantly obvious, old people will continue dying with much greater probability than younger ones.

If the virus mutates and the odds turn, then it will no longer be an ”old persons’ disease”, just like AIDS was understood not being only gay people’s disease once it spread further.

Again, nothing to do with respect or what anyone deserves. Just reading the statistics.

Here are the statistics in France (as of March 10, so a bit old data, with an healthcare system not overhelmed):

image.png.2db813b3e339f6d2fa99942348bc09dc.png

So if you 're between 18 and 64 , around 60% * 1819 = 1091 officially infected, around 37% * 98 = 36 in emergency heavy care,  and around 14% * 44 = 6 deads.

So if you 're between 18 and 64 AND officially contaminated (because tested due to strong symptoms or suspicions) in the best case scenario (the data given can only get worse because the ill can get worse, and hospitals are not overwhelmed), so you have at least (36 + 6)  / 1091 = 3,85 % chance of needing heavy treatment (respiratory assistance and such...) and if so, 6 / (6 + 36) = 14,3% of dying.

=> This is far from beeing neglectible. The coronavirus must be taken seriously, whatever your age (and think also about the others).

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SamSuffit said:

So if you 're between 18 and 64 AND officially contaminated (because tested due to strong symptoms or suspicions) in the best case scenario (the data given can only get worse because the ill can get worse, and hospitals are not overwhelmed), so you have at least (36 + 6)  / 1091 = 3,85 % chance of needing heavy treatment (respiratory assistance and such...) and if so, 6 / (6 + 36) = 14,3% of dying.

I'm not sure that you can accurately reach said conclusion with above data, as each column covers a different time progression.

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, SamSuffit said:

Here are the statistics in France (as of March 10, so a bit old data, with an healthcare system not overhelmed):

Every country looks a bit different in statistics. For all of you who are interested in serious data and statistics listed for each individual country, please check this out,

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

You will find a lot of good and serious information. Be safe everybody!😷

12 hours ago, mrelwood said:

This is just in the US, but the cost of both medicare and social security is several times the lifetime earnings (approximately $3 of benefits for every $1 inputted), adjusted for inflation. I looked at Japan's pension fund, and they are apparently in a similar situation.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisconover/2012/12/03/aarp-lobbies-for-100000-plus-medicare-subsidy-for-seniors/

HIV is primarily a gay man's disease, according to the CDC site. Since HIV kills mostly men during their primary earning years, HIV is a financial toll.

https://www.cdc.gov/std/hiv/stdfact-std-hiv-detailed.htm

1 hour ago, manu said:

6 months worth of supplies is crazy.

Not if you own a cabin deep in the mountains and can do all your work at home 🏡 It really depends, doesn’t it. I live in an earthquake country. Anything can happen any time. So most people have about 2 or 3 months supplies. This way you can help others who are in need if disaster strikes And if you stock food you like and eat regularly, it’s quite simple to renew and maintain fresh and delicious supplies. 

But you are right, people shouldn’t do panic shopping, they need to be prepared ahead in time according to their individual circumstances and needs. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

HIV is primarily a gay man's disease, according to the CDC site. Since HIV kills mostly men during their primary earning years, HIV is a financial toll.

MYTH: “HIV is a ‘gay’ or ‘LGBT’ disease.”
REALITY: While rates of HIV are disproportionately higher among members of the LGBTQ community, HIV is by no means confined to LGBTQ people. Anyone—regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or other factors—can acquire HIV. Calling HIV a “gay” or “LGBTQ” disease is medically untrue and only serves to perpetuate harmful stereotypes about people living with HIV and members of the LGBT community.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

MYTH: “HIV is a ‘gay’ or ‘LGBT’ disease.”
REALITY: While rates of HIV are disproportionately higher among members of the LGBTQ community, HIV is by no means confined to LGBTQ people. Anyone—regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or other factors—can acquire HIV. Calling HIV a “gay” or “LGBTQ” disease is medically untrue and only serves to perpetuate harmful stereotypes about people living with HIV and members of the LGBT community.

From the US's Government's own website (Center of Disease Control)...

In the US, both syphilis and HIV are highly concentrated epidemics among men who have sex with men (MSM). In 2018, MSM accounted for 77.6% of all primary and secondary syphilis cases among males in which sex of sex partner was known.

22 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

https://www.cdc.gov/std/hiv/stdfact-std-hiv-detailed.htm

Looks like you are spreading fake news! On your website above I found, what is stated below, but nothing that says “HIV is primarily a gay man's disease”! Please stop spreading fake news and harmful stereotypes! Thank you.

Some activities can put people at increased risk for both STDs and HIV.

• Having anal, vaginal, or oral sex without a condom;
  • Having multiple sex partners;
  • Having anonymous sex partners;
  • Having sex while under the influence of drugs or alcohol can lower inhibitions and result in greater sexual risk taking.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

In the US, both syphilis and HIV

That may or may not be the fact, but the US is not the world, and even though more than many Americans may be gay, Africa suffers more from HIV then the rest of the world. And this fact makes your stereotype FAKE INFORMATION. 

Edited by Toshio Uemura

13 hours ago, Toshio Uemura said:

consider that a rather harsh darwinistic statement, a bit outdated. Typical sign of a deprived and inferior social system. 

The Atlantic was just talking about how younger people seem to genuinely hate older people.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/respect-old/607864/

Earlier today, a friend posted on Facebook about an experience he’d just had on the Upper West Side of Manhattan: “I heard a guy who looked to be in his 20s say that it’s not a big deal cause the elderly are gonna die anyway. Then he and his friend laughed … Maybe I’m lucky that I had awesome grandparents and maybe this guy didn’t but what is wrong with people???” Some have tried to dress up their heartlessness as generational retribution. As someone tweeted at me earlier today, “To be perfectly honest, and this is awful, but to the young, watching as the elderly over and over and over choose their own interests ahead of Climate policy kind of feels like they’re wishing us to a death they won’t have to experience. It’s a sad bit of fair play.”

I don't think the younger generation is being cruel but rather looking out for their own interest. The baby boomers have regulated housing and zoning laws to pretext their assets, given themselves SS benefits while excluding the younger, given themselves free Medica care while specifically excluding others, specifically targeted minorities by legally excluding felons, and so on. The list is long and comprehensive.

Here's a specific article on how the old exploits the young for their own benefits.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/06/boomers-are-blame-aging-america/592336/

1 minute ago, LanghamP said:

The Atlantic was just talking about how younger people seem to genuinely hate older people.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/respect-old/607864/

Earlier today, a friend posted on Facebook about an experience he’d just had on the Upper West Side of Manhattan: “I heard a guy who looked to be in his 20s say that it’s not a big deal cause the elderly are gonna die anyway. Then he and his friend laughed … Maybe I’m lucky that I had awesome grandparents and maybe this guy didn’t but what is wrong with people???” Some have tried to dress up their heartlessness as generational retribution. As someone tweeted at me earlier today, “To be perfectly honest, and this is awful, but to the young, watching as the elderly over and over and over choose their own interests ahead of Climate policy kind of feels like they’re wishing us to a death they won’t have to experience. It’s a sad bit of fair play.”

I don't think the younger generation is being cruel but rather looking out for their own interest. The baby boomers have regulated housing and zoning laws to pretext their assets, given themselves SS benefits while excluding the younger, given themselves free Medica care while specifically excluding others, specifically targeted minorities by legally excluding felons, and so on. The list is long and comprehensive.

Here's a specific article on how the old exploits the young for their own benefits.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/06/boomers-are-blame-aging-america/592336/

Maybe all of this is true, and saddening. But the fact remains that: you have parents, and you are gonna get old someday. So treating well the old might also be in your best interest. Furthermore not every old person is responsible of it, and death penalty for selfishness seems a very harsh punishment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Now I understand: After SARS-CoV-2 and HIV, we are now talking about a mutation, a viral mutation that happened in your mind ...

... the new OLD-Virus!  Younger people first! How do we get rid of the OLD? 

Well, if all you said about CoViD-19 and the OLD proves true, by the end of the year the Americas might get rid of all their political dinosaurs 🦕 Trump, Biden, Sanders and some others. Trump already had a close call, I heard on the news. Wouldn’t that be a chance for Greta to become the FFFP,  the first female foreign president of the Americas? 🤣 What a thought. And the next step: FEMA concentration camps for the old and the elderly ... a better world at last! 😝 

Edited by Toshio Uemura

1 hour ago, SamSuffit said:

Maybe all of this is true, and saddening. But the fact remains that: you have parents, and you are gonna get old someday. So treating well the old might also be in your best interest. Furthermore not every old person is responsible of it, and death penalty for selfishness seems a very harsh punishment.

You are so right! 100%! But I am afraid you are waisting your pearls on this one. Usually I would say: Let’s give him another 10 years, but with SARS-CoV-2 another year might do the job. (I realize this is very cynical! But probably reality. Time will tell!)
i think that is the darkest post I ever released. Everybody sorry for that! Let kids be kids! LanghamP is so right in what he says, but so wrong in how he translates it!

Edited by Toshio Uemura