Wuhan Coronavirus - are you prepared?

atdlzpae

Yeah, I agree. The grasshopper was designed to die during winter. But he has kids which will be lazy next year.
The moral of the story should be: Some people are designed to be lazy. And that's ok.  B)(me)

FFP3's are gone from my local Castorama. They were available at 7am, and they were gone in the evening.
So right now your best bet for a mask is probably 3M 6200 or similar...

@atdlzpae
You should also get aspirin and other antipyretic over the counter medicin... a small finger spirometer might be also a nice thing to have. 
And make sure that your thermometer to measure fever actually works. Could be bad to find out that you never used it and now its battery has run out. 
Also for other simple measures get some rubbing alcohol (97% non drinkable) and put that in a small flask to carry around with you. Then when you need it you can wet a small cloth with the alcohol and you can easily disinfect surfaces and hands etc. ... 
Also get some mask to protect your eyes... 

Otoh most will probably get it. So ... 

Brace for Impact ... 2020 will be a year to remember ... 

10 hours ago, Roland said:

Also for other simple measures get some rubbing alcohol (97% non drinkable)

If you have to buy disinfectant, get 70%. 70% is better at disinfecting than 99%. :)

Edited by atdlzpae

@scubadragosan

Time to prepare is running out ...
Get stuff while its still on the shelfs ... Dont be a Grasshopper ;)

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-francisco/sf-mayor-london-breed-declared-local-emergency-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/2241796/

Edited by Roland

But what really matters.... how long do i have to wait before I can touch the package I just ordered from China? ON a side note... anyone who even considers listening to the chinese government about ANY of this, is not paying attention. Surely its easy enough to see that they lied, murdered, covered up and are now pretending those things didnt happen. I would MUCH rather listen to the US government, tho its probably only mildly less inaccurate than the chinese.  Living in the country with no neighbors in sight, no traffic and private well water... never tasted so sweet!

20 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

But what really matters.... how long do i have to wait before I can touch the package I just ordered from China? ON a side note... anyone who even considers listening to the chinese government about ANY of this, is not paying attention. Surely its easy enough to see that they lied, murdered, covered up and are now pretending those things didnt happen. I would MUCH rather listen to the US government, tho its probably only mildly less inaccurate than the chinese.  Living in the country with no neighbors in sight, no traffic and private well water... never tasted so sweet!

Spot checks by Chinese locals, whereby the simply count the number of sick people in each apartment building, then extrapolate the 1-2 % death rate to all infected apartment buildings, suggest the number of infected is ten times greater.

This isn't the 1917 flu, because it kills the over 60, or high blood pressure, demographics at a rate of over ten times the younger.

I'd predict we'd see a decent economic boost if Kung Flu comes here, because old people's long term expenses is less than their short term Kung Flu related medical expenses. Medicare and Medicaid are the US's single biggest expense.

Chinese air pollution numbers have dramatically declined, at a rate never before seen.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51691967

Since air pollution in China kills at least a million or so people per year, the Kung Flu's effects has the bizarre result of saving more lives than it kills! I keep mentioning that an economic slowdown is a good things, because spending money is a good proxy for spending energy and polluting more.

Satellite images have shown a dramatic decline in pollution levels over China, which is "at least partly" due to an economic slowdown prompted by the coronavirus, US space agency Nasa says.

Nasa maps show falling levels of nitrogen dioxide this year.

It comes amid record declines in China's factory activity as manufacturers stop work in a bid to contain the coronavirus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

And when ALL mankind dies, the animals will see even more widespread positive results. So i guess it all boils down to perspective.

A better way to self preservation is to be cautious about exceeding your local carrying capacity, and then pricing the blatantly destructive elements of that lifestyle appropriately. All evidence shows that species are undergoing a massive extinction event, the likes of which we've not since since 66 million years ago. When even the humble bumblebee and shellfish are seeing unprecedented reduction in numbers, and it's directly attributed to man made global warming, then would not a minor change in our lifestyle reap major benefits for our ecosystem? Living closer to work, putting up with noisy neighbors, being a little more cramped, and eating less meat seems to be a very minor change lifestyle for us all. We could lose the world, maybe not for our generation but for the next.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Some of you guys would be a trip during hurricane season in Florida.

I get to see the Floridians scatter this way almost yearly :)

Ecuador reports five new cases
21 UAE cases
47 Bahrain cases
45 Kuwait cases

We now have enough evidence to conclude that the virus spreads in hot climates. And so summer won't provide much respite for the northern hemisphere. And it's just a matter of time before it spreads through Africa, Australia and South America.
If you live in those places, don't be fooled into false sense of security - prepare.

Whatever is happening in China, Italy and Iran is probably coming to you in the following months.
You have some time, so slowly start stashing food. ;)

Edited by atdlzpae

• 2 weeks later...

Officially this is now a pandemic since yesterday! So I hope everybody in this forum is acting proactive instead of reactive regarding EUC events! 
Listen to this British doctors advice. It is fact based valuable information.

Share with everybody who is still taking SARS-CoV-2 for the seasonal flew!

https://m.youtube.com/user/Campbellteaching/videos

We are all sitting in the same boat here, people! This one:

19647BBF-D444-48BB-A08B-B05B56C499A8.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 9:50 AM, Kens said:

Believe in our president Trump! He said the corona virus will "go away" in April. If other said otherwise then it fake news!

I am afraid Trump might “go away” by April. But that’s just a hunch.

• Like 1

Here's a thought: dont panic as its harder to recover from any health issues when your economy is gone. The virus is loose, it will NEVER be totally gone. It will become another thing like the cold and flu, maybe a little stronger. WHat we should do, is what we should have been doing for the last 100 years. Quit packing into places like morons. Humans are like a virus and when we get together too closely with lack of sanitation and or clean air, we become problematic.  How about washing our hands, not spitting on people and cleaning our fukn houses and work places. You know, like you are expected to do, but somehow have neglected to do it thoroughly for years now? Good health, proper hygiene, proper cleanliness habits and giving each other space, is the best you can do. Just like the flu, you aint gna avoid it, in the end you will come in contact with it.  All this panic and 'quarantine' is retarded and its too late. Just like masks, its all a show, the outcome is inevitable, and the sheep are buying into it to feel safer.  I guess if one could sterilize and quarantine the ENTIRE PLANET for a month, then it would make a difference.  Good thing to come of it, people are being taught to wash their hands, and maybe some of them are doing it properly! People are thinking about sanitation too. After the panic is gone, at least the educational side effects will remain for a few days and basic health and overall cleanliness may improve for a week or two. My question is this: If china did so great at quarantine and sterilizing their country, we shouldnt see ANY cases of it there in the future, right? Of course, it only takes ONE carrier to undo what the chinese supposedly accomplished.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

The makers of 3m agree with you completely. That pesky incubation period may undermine your view just a tad. Buy a mask it isnt safe on the streets until we all do... Sounds like a great ad campaign. If you KNOW you are sick, wtf are you doing near elderly or in public anyhow?

Edited by ShanesPlanet

11 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Buy a mask it isnt safe on the streets until we all do... Sounds like a great ad campaign. 

This is not, what I said. And it is not what I meant!
Sorry for my bad English. It’s not my native language. I refrain from further commenting on this topic. Be safe!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Toshio Uemura said:

This is not, what I said. And it is not what I meant!
Sorry for my bad English. It’s not my native language. I refrain from further commenting on this topic. Be safe!

Wasnt trying to anger you and I wasnt quoting you, its just how I interpreted it. I can be a troll at times. Dont bow out because of me. We can disagree and be fine, bro. Even better, we're opposite ends of the earth, REALLY easy to disagree and it not matter much. Fwiw, I dont represent the western world, as majority find me abrasive, regardless of region. You be safe too!    I included the definition of abrasive as I was shocked it wasnt simply just a picture of me...

288215500_Annotation2020-03-11231116.png.827eb030c338862e47cc7119e0cf3fcf.png

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Wasnt trying to anger you and I wasnt quoting you. I can be a troll at times. Dont bow out because of me. We can disagree and be fine, bro. Even better, we're opposite ends of the earth, REALLY easy to disagree and it not matter much. You be safe too!

No need to apologize. It is my fault, if I can not articulate myself In a way that reasonably educated people can grasp what I am trying to communicate. I will work harder on my communication skills. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I understood exactly what you were conveying. 

Everyone needs a plan during this epidemic. Unfortunately N95 masks are a rare commodity in the US. Being in the healthcare field I have a stock of masks that will last for only 10 days. I cannot find a supplier anywhere.

80% of my pediatric patient population have  debilitating health issues resulting from cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida, muscle atrophy....many are on breathing ventilators. I am concerned for their well being. 

I have Purell stations located throughout my facility but again I cannot obtain refills so I purchased 2 gallons of 70% isopropyl alcohol yesterday along with spray bottles to dispense the agent.  

I have begun using the to fist bump to greet patient’s families instead of a handshake and but will soon be gesturing with an Air 5. 

I would suggest finding a plan that works best for you and your family and implement it. 

Thank you for your kind comment and additional valuable information. We live in an earthquake country, so many if not most Japanese are disaster prepared with food supply for at least 3 months. We doubled ours in mid January, when things that happen now became expectable and needed further planning. I don’t want to fight in supermarkets over the last tuna can. 
But many just didn’t see it coming or didn’t dare to look 👀 

Those who stick their heads deep into the sand today will grind their teeth tomorrow!

Now, for the 😷 mask shortage, you reported, I am using ultraviolet sterilisation combined with ozone sterilisation and heat dehumidification for the few PPM3 masks I bought for me and our family months ago, when they were cheap and there were plenty, to be able to reuse them if necessary. I don’t know if that works, and I haven’t found any research on this topic, but I guess we will find out these days. When in despair the devil eats flies. Stay safe my friend!

DA680AF5-8BDF-44CE-8104-7684613569BD.jpeg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

WHat we should do, is what we should have been doing for the last 100 years. Quit packing into places like morons. Humans are like a virus and when we get together too closely with lack of sanitation and or clean air, we become problematic. 

This is not true in modern times.

According to the figures from the Center of Disease control, rural infant mortality rates are about 10% higher than urban mortality rates.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db300.htm

For adults, rural diseases are higher than urban areas.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/1/13/14246260/death-gap-urban-rural-america-worse

However, historically the mortality rate in urban areas have always greatly exceeded the rural areas.

The first city to have a lower mortality rate than rural areas was Chicago in 1900 when the Chicago river was reversed. 

I'd expect the urban mortality rate to exceed the rural rate as antibiotics lose their effectiveness, as global warming moves tropical diseases northward, and as people continue to pollute more.

That's why I look at the Coronavirus in an almost entirely favorable light; it has shut down most of the world's industries and travel. It's insane that within the few short weeks air pollution levels have dropped over 40% in Chinese cities. Fear has turned everyone into an effective environmentalist, although probably not by choice.

• Like 1