Helmet......the cool factor

Paulandjacquelyn

43 minutes ago, drmrw said:

I have worked a little bit in a head injury rehab clinic. You can get a head injury VERY easily and depending on the nature and severity of the injury it can change your entire life, permanently.. Broken bones heal easily. Broken head, not so much. It's a really really good idea to wear one, especially since anyone's unit can crap out at any time regardless of the brand.

Definitely agree, the "cool factor" of spending the rest of your life like Stephen Hawking (although his condition wasn't caused by a head injury, but you get the idea) probably isn't very high... 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started this post to generate conversation and to also get the motivation to do what i know is right :).  I bought a "cool" helmet and put small front n rear lights on it (blink, flash, on options).  I've worn it all week everytime I ride now.   

Great post and II've already had a couple of cars almost not see me at intersections so as careful as i am.....gotta be smart and stay smart!

For sake of sanity and variety of opinion, here is a somewhat sophisticated series of arguments why wearing a helmet, even if it seems so, is at least for cycling not necessarily the rational thing to do as, for example, when "looking into the research, there's a strong argument to be made that wearing a bike helmet may actually increase your risk of injury": http://www.howiechong.com/journal/2014/2/bike-helmets

Just for the record, this is not a stand-alone opinion, see e.g.
http://www.cyclingutah.com/advocacy/road-advocacy/why-i-dont-wear-a-helmet/
http://www.cnet.com/news/brain-surgeon-theres-no-point-wearing-cycle-helmets/

As a long time bicyclist and motorcycle rider I cannot tell you how many times I have seen experienced riders hit the pavement.  You can never predict an accident, but you can always take a few extra seconds to protect yourself (if not for yourself, then for your family and friends).  I have never wished I wasn't wearing a scull-protection, even when the weather hits 90 degrees and 90% humidity here in Florida!  Be smart and safe people!

Cheers,

Jim

Arguing against helmets is much like arguing for smoking cigarettes. There's probably some upsides with it but if something happens they will pale in comparison. With that said I still haven't gotten a helmet. But hey I quit smoking too so there is hope:D

After joining this community I have atleast entertained the idea. 

14 hours ago, Viktiga said:

Arguing against helmets is much like arguing for smoking cigarettes.

Not at all. We have overwhelming evidence that smoking cigarettes is (in overall balance) harmful for smokers and for bystanders (so-called passive smokers). We have virtually no and even contradictory evidence that not wearing a helmet is (in overall balance) harmful for cyclists.

1 hour ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

This is an easy "argument" to settle lol.   Whom ever believes that helmets are not a proven protection go outside and bump your head against the concrete.   I will do same.

Come back and post findings lol ;)

The only problem is that the question is not whether a helmet helps when "going outside and bumping your head against the concrete". The question is whether a helmet helps when riding an EUC for, say, transportation purpose. That is certainly not the same question, and the question is certainly again different when riding it, say, for off-road sports purpose.

1 hour ago, Paulandjacquelyn said:

This is an easy "argument" to settle lol.   Whom ever believes that helmets are not a proven protection go outside and bump your head against the concrete.   I will do same.

Come back and post findings lol ;)

My guess is that you will come back with a mild head concussion while I will be perfectly fine, because I will just have refused (not been able) to hit my head against concrete without a helmet.  Seems like one would be better off without a helmet in this case at least. 

2 hours ago, Niko said:

Not at all. We have overwhelming evidence that smoking cigarettes is (in overall balance) harmful for smokers and for bystanders (so-called passive smokers). We have virtually no and even contradictory evidence that not wearing a helmet is (in overall balance) harmful for cyclists.

Are you arguing that it's better to fall without a helmet?

btw what kind of helmets are we talking about?

If I ever buy one it's a real one and not one for cyclists.

On 11/14/2015, 8:02:07, Viktiga said:

Did you catch a glimpse of the article(s) I linked above?

I am not really prepared to make any more (specific) arguments than those made in the articles. I also don't have a final opinion on this issue (as I don't have seen enough clear-cut evidence). Yet, it seems to me that the case is by no means clear or closed and you would need to provide some decent evidence to close it. I would be more than happy to learn about this evidence.

On 11/14/2015, 8:02:07, Viktiga said:

Not really, though it depends on the fall. My guess though is that most of the time it is not significantly better to fall without a helmet than with a helmet. My guess is also that it is often significantly better to not fall than to fall. The final guess: a helmet tends to increase the probability to fall on the head.

EDIT: Let me add that I have no doubts that if someone crashes their head on a solid object, a helmet will be effective in reducing the severity of suffered injuries most of the time.

Competent adults should have a choice with their safety.

Added value: if you ride without a helmet, you are more likely to help with the shortage of organs for transplantation. The families of those in organ failure will appreciate it.

This is just my personal opinion after 25 years treating trauma patients.

1 hour ago, Villac said:

Competent adults should have a choice with their safety.

Definitely. And personally, I like to make an informed choice, instead of heaving an uninformed opinion. 

Added value: if you ride without a helmet, you are more likely to help with the shortage of organs for transplantation.

What's your source for this claim?

24 minutes ago, Niko said:

Definitely. And personally, I like to make an informed choice, instead of heaving an uninformed opinion. 

What's your source for this claim?

Thank you for asking!!!  

But first: bottom line, I do believe in personal freedom, even if it introduces unnecessary risk to self, but not if it introduces risk for others (eg drunk driving)

The source for my claim is the adults and children with bicycle, motorcycle, ATV, care crash, pedestrian struck, and fall injuries without helmets whom I declared brain dead and on some removed their organs, as well as the helmet wearing cyclists, motorcyclists, ATV drivers, and skiers wearing helmets whom I sent home with stitches, plates, screws, and working brains.

Weaknesses in my logic:

1) this is the anecdotal flawed memory of one individual, not statistical evidence

2) I have treated no victim of an electric unicycle crash, unless you count my son and myself: helmet wearers who lost only blood and skin, but no brain cells.

We can all selectively find sources to support the conclusion we choose ahead of time; Thanks Google!!! So if you are looking for statistically relevant evidence in support of helmets, I'll refer you to sound work done by the organizations in which I participate: (again, this is info from cyclists and motorcyclists; there aren't studies yet for electric unicyclists!)

" Helmets reduce the risk of head injury by at least 45 percent, brain injury by 33 percent, facial injury by 27 percent, and fatal injury by 29 percent. " American College of Surgeons http://bulletin.facs.org/2014/09/statement-on-bicycle-safety-and-the-promotion-of-bicycle-helmet-use/ 

" Retrospective studies confirm the consistent findings of the prospective studies that head injury is uniformly more frequent and more severe when sustaining a crash without a helmet."  East Trauma https://www.east.org/education/practice-management-guidelines/helmet-efficacy-to-reduce-head-injury-and-mortality-in-motorcycle-crashes 

"Wearing a bicycle helmet is one of the most effective safety measures a child can take to prevent injury. The first study of helmet effectiveness indicated that it could prevent 88% of serious brain injuries." American Assoc. Pediatrics http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/108/4/1030 

Helmets provide a 66 to 88% reduction in the risk of head, brain and severe brain injury for all ages of bicyclists. Helmets provide equal levels of protection for crashes involving motor vehicles (69%) and crashes from all other causes (68%). Helmets.org http://www.helmets.org/stats.htm#effectiveness

" The bicycle helmet safety law resulted in a 13-fold increase in the use of bicycle helmets among the children admitted to a regional pediatric trauma center after bicycle crashes, but the helmet use remains inadequate. Helmet use reduced the severity of head injuries, and might have prevented deaths caused by head injuries." American Ped Surg Assoc. http://www.jpedsurg.org/article/S0022-3468(98)90454-7/abstract

I'm going to wear a helmet; I'm not waiting for a study of brain injured electric unicyclists to be published. 

I'll be psyched to go wheeling with you whether you wear a helmet or not! Cheers!

I am curious if this helmet would trigger with an electric unicycle crash. It was designed to sense the accelerations of a bike crash. But if you have never seen it, the video is very cool.

http://www.hovding.com/ 

It kind of allows the cool factor, which means I don't need it because it's not the helmet that's making an old guy like me up on a unicycle look uncool!

Agree with Villac ....great data post.   I could care less if others don't wear a helmet unless family or if I'm gonna be teaching someone on street or asphalt.  I can only laugh at the argument against but then everyone is granted their opinion and I'm sure you'd laugh at some of mine.   WE DO ALL AGREE THAT THESE EUC'S ARE TOO MUCH FUN!  :)

Not cheap at 299 euros plus shipping. Very good for rear and side impact. But EUC accidents mostly occur with the face forward (face plant). Well, we still can use this product by wearing it in the opposite direction like a neck scarf. :D

Archived