Seba

Making charger quieter

Very interessting attemp to calm down the hell-of-a-noise type fan :w00t2:. I would like to follow your idea and apply it for my similar brick chargers as well. Do you know why the replacement fan is much more silent? In my opinion there could be mainly 2 reasons:

• Better fan design
  • Lower RPM at given voltage

Do you know if the resulting airflow rate would be the same? Or should it be enough even if lower than before?

On 2/8/2020 at 10:04 PM, Mimetic Polyalloy said:

Very interessting attemp to calm down the hell-of-a-noise type fan :w00t2:. I would like to follow your idea and apply it for my similar brick chargers as well. Do you know why the replacement fan is much more silent? In my opinion there could be mainly 2 reasons:

• Better fan design
  • Lower RPM at given voltage

Do you know if the resulting airflow rate would be the same? Or should it be enough even if lower than before?

I concur to you about causes of fan silence. I would only add maglev bearing to this, creating a small air gap between stator and rotor. 

According to datasheets, original fan has airflow at 23.7 CFM while new fan has "only" 13.8 CFM. But these parameters cannot be considered in isolation from static pressure. With airflow resistances causing a pressure of only 2mm H2O causes air flow of the original fan to drop to about 11 CFM. This is the same as for the Sunon fan at the same static pressure, so in fact they provide the same cooling efficiency.

I have another charger that is actually not so loud, but I wouldn't mind it being even quieter. Did you have that fan in there too? 

20200212-075326.jpg

The original fan has seven blades and the Sunon only five blades. Maybe that's just the reason why it's quieter?

I find different pictures of this fan. Sometimes it has five blades then again seven blades. What's right?

Edited by buell47

49 minutes ago, buell47 said:

I have another charger that is actually not so loud, but I wouldn't mind it being even quieter. Did you have that fan in there too? 

They are all more or less the same. Yours is almost identical to the one I've replaced.

50 minutes ago, buell47 said:

I find different pictures of this fan. Sometimes it has five blades then again seven blades. What's right?

It has seven blades:

http://portal.sunon.com.tw/pls/portal/sunonap.sunon_html_d_pkg.open_file?input_file_name=7264646F632F3230313631312F3234313838332F28443036303737343930472D3030292D312E2E706466

Thank you, then I will order this fan as well. Even if it has a little less power, there should be no problems, because I don't run the charger with a full 12 amps, but only with 8 amps. :thumbup: