What do I need to do with a new Gotway (Nikola)?

Tried to search as I'm sure all info is already on the forum, but the search gods where not on my side tonight. So:

I have a new 84V Nikola 1600 Wh incoming tomorrow. My first Gotway. What do I need to do to get it up and running besides charging it?

I guess there'll be a calibration, obviously I'll check the tire pressure (could approx 30-35 psi (2 - 2.5 bar) sound reasonable for a riding weight of approx 80 kg / 175 lb and a rather careful riding style?), at some point I'll slime the tire, but not day one. I will pad it beyond recognition, just like my current V5F. When I pad it up I'll make something grippy that's thinner than the standard side pads.

App, which version do I need? I have an Android, is it the "Kebye Gotway" app that's the correct one? What more do I _have_ to do in the app than perform a calibration to get started? Should I start with a softer pedal mode? Since the V5F I'm used to is a slow wheel I guess I'll just leave the speed alarms default to start with.

Is there anything like the Kingsong faff with registering, getting the region correctly set etc?

Anything else I have forgotten or never known about?

Please enlighten me!

On 2/5/2020 at 9:20 PM, houseofjob said:

Congrats!

One of the first things I would do specifically for the Nikola is to extra-secure the underside of the trolley scorpion handle to the wheel body with velcro, which will otherwise fly out and potentially bend on crashes/drops.

Thanks for your really informative reply! Appreciated!

Yes, I remember reading about the velcro somewhere. Has to be done.

I am really surprised the handle doesn't stay locked when it's "up". Because of the horribly loud start-up sound I'll have to move it while off in and out of the office building. This was really easy with the V5 where the handle locked, but no such luck here...

On 2/5/2020 at 9:20 PM, houseofjob said:

Also, if you are trying to ride the Nikola in prolonged heavy rains, I would highly recommend giving up the speaker components altogether and completely shoring up the speaker holes (Gorilla tape, cover+sealant, etc). I've ridden a lot in rain on my Nikola+, and on a chance opening, I discovered that despite applying the water resistant speaker covers so popular on the forums, this did absolutely nothing: a pool of water leaked out of my speaker compartment, and my speaker module board was blackened, most likely from a short. On a similar note, the USB port cover tends to not stay capped, so due to rain exposure and my USB port rusting, I've Gorilla taped over that component, since I don't really use it.

Good suggestion, I really doubt I'll use the speakers or the USB port either.

Now, thinking about the start-up sound and the non-locking handle, what do I have to do to silence the start-up and shut-down sounds? Can I disconnect the speakers? Do I loose the warning beeps as well in that case, or do they come through a separate buzzer or speaker?

I was still under the impression that the normal 84V 1600W Nikola would have the white edges, it's now carbon black and looks really good. Over all I'm impressed with the looks, but jeez, this thing is HUGE... quite liftable though, although I wouldn't like to carry it up too many stairs.

Haven't had time to pad it up yet, so no test ride as yet...

• Like 1

The warning beeps come from a separate beeper, so unplugging the speakers will not silence them.

There is also a separate thread about the methods of disabling Nikola’s start-up sound with still having the speakers available for bluetooth music. In short, either a $2 device connected to the speaker cables, or reprogramming the bluetooth module... Yes, someone really did the latter as well!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rolekl said:

Now, thinking about the start-up sound and the non-locking handle, what do I have to do to silence the start-up and shut-down sounds? Can I disconnect the speakers? Do I loose the warning beeps as well in that case, or do they come through a separate buzzer or speaker?

Nope, warning beeps are all the separate buzzer.

An additional benefit of entirely removing the speaker module assembly is that you lose the loud startup sound altogether (typical Gotway buzzer power on beep still remains though).

Edited by houseofjob

5 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Nope, warning beeps are all the separate buzzer.

An additional benefit of entirely removing the speaker module assembly is that you lose the loud startup sound altogether (typical Gotway buzzer power on beep still remains though).

Ahh, so even if I throw the speakers away I'll still be left with the power-on and power-off beep? Not perfect. I prefer stealth mode to be honest... 

16 minutes ago, rolekl said:

Ahh, so even if I throw the speakers away I'll still be left with the power-on and power-off beep? Not perfect. I prefer stealth mode to be honest... 

A little beep is a whole lot less obnoxious than the startup tune. I don't get the Chinese manufacturers sometimes - who in their right mind thinks an ear splitting startup tune is a good idea. Everytime I start it up in my garage, I think I lose a little bit of hearing. I'm lazy so I won't open up my wheel unless I have to but when that occurs, I'm disconnecting that speaker. 

On 2/5/2020 at 8:39 PM, rolekl said:

I have a new 84V Nikola 1600 Wh incoming tomorrow. My first Gotway. What do I need to do to get it up and running besides charging it?

Check that the tire is pumped up enough. Nothing else you need to do. No app needed or whatever. Switch it on and enjoy you nice new ride:efefe00999:

Do not calibrate unless you want to change the pedal angle or you get pedal dipping in curves. Don't fix what isn't broken.

You've got some nice tips on what you can do. I'd like to add: with such a wheel, wear appropriate protection.

35 minutes ago, rolekl said:

I think Gotway leaves it on startup as a safety to show the buzzer alarm is working.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Check that the tire is pumped up enough. Nothing else you need to do. No app needed or whatever. Switch it on and enjoy you nice new ride:efefe00999:

Do not calibrate unless you want to change the pedal angle or you get pedal dipping in curves. Don't fix what isn't broken.

You've got some nice tips on what you can do. I'd like to add: with such a wheel, wear appropriate protection.

Yep, currently in the process of padding the wheel. Padding myself goes without saying. I'm too old and fragile to take a proper spill these days 😱 

I'll be aiming for 2.4 bar as a starting point.

This is going to be fun!! 🥳

• Like 2