Wanted tips on how to pry open V10f.

Unventor

Let's just say my V10f and me are not good friends. I were trying to "undress" it, aka removing side covers but it is not cooperating at all. 

So any tips and video would be helpful. The only disassemble videos I could find, bypass this other than you need to pop them off. 

The goal is to change my charge port as it seems it had a wrong size compared to my charger(s). I think they mounted a 14-3 instead of 12-3. 

there are very small hard to see cutouts two at the front and two at the back on each side of the shell, you have to jam something in there like a flathead screwdriver or similar and pry it off, should make a loud pop and then you can follow it along the shell to pry it off.. the first time is very difficult and sketchy because it feels like youre going to destroy it you have to pull with a lot of force.. just make sure that youve taken off every screw first, the two by the pedal on each side and the two at the front and back bumpers

22 hours ago, Unventor said:

@The Fat Unicyclist do you have any tips? 

The Euco video shows most of it... The only thing I would add is that, rather than prying the cover with a flathead screwdriver, get yourself some plastic upholstery tools. They will reduce the chance of damaging the edge of the covers.

ken5031510k-500x515.jpg

The two on the right are most useful for covers - the one second from the left is great for lifting off pads without damaging them.

• Like 3

I guess you are struggling with the same thing as I did first time I removed those shells (that is, just after buying it :-) ).

It's like removing car fittings (I mean with the intention of putting them back)... Easy once you know how the assembly is designed, but until then you don't dare to use the Force even when it's the only way.

Level with each front/back light there is a notch :

imgp5010.jpg

Then, the male side inside the side cover :

imgp5011.jpg

The front bezel screw recesses on each side come handy to exert the necessary Force.

🙏👍Thank for posting pictures, and yes I agree it might be easy.... 

But I got so frustrated that I used souch force (in a wrong way) so it cracked at the fasteners. 

The secoun cover I tried to be more gentle, but in the end the fasteners cracked and broke of. So I would love to see a master in action on how to do this. So I don't end up doing this next time I have to change a tire or fix a puncture. 

Now so far so god or bad. I am now trying to split the inner structure to change my wrong sized (from factory) charge port. It seems to seal up many places have been silicone glued together. So I try to be more careful now. Right now I view this as a challenge to be solved or worked around. The silly part is I now know how I could have fixed this easy and so simple it hurts. 

A small adapter cable with gtx14-3 on one end and a gtx12-3 on the other.... Why I didn't think of this I do not know..... 🙄😞 That's life I guess. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 6:36 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

The Euco video shows most of it... The only thing I would add is that, rather than prying the cover with a flathead screwdriver, get yourself some plastic upholstery tools. They will reduce the chance of damaging the edge of the covers.

ken5031510k-500x515.jpg

The two on the right are most useful for covers - the one second from the left is great for lifting off pads without damaging them.

I used all of these you shared a picture of.... But... Se my other post today above. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 12:22 AM, TDK said:

Maybe this is helpful?

Yes I viewed this like 10 times before I started. They mention flathead screwdriver. But then the clip jumps and you don't see exactly how to do. 

• 1 month later...

I just got a tip from Ian on from Speedyfeet yestarday during his live show (epesode 81) about the last 15 of the show. 

He explains you are lucky to pry it open at the snap on zones on each side. instead once all screws are take out for side covers (so you are ready to remove the covers). The trick is to pry from the top and then slowly work your way down on both sides This show make the side cover release enought so it is easier to flex it at the snap on zones.

In case you dont know what I mean ask in this thread and I try to explain from your question. If this isn't done right the cover is likely to crack. Even knowing how it look like the snap zone you are like to crack the cover still if done wrongly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...