EUCs in Swtizerland - How to get an insurance and a license plate?

euccommuter

Hello!

Do any of you have any updates regarding EUC laws in Switzerland since the 2015 law (see the PDF for more details)?

I'll move soon to Zurich and I have no idea of how to get an insurance and a license plate for my EUC to satisfy such 2015 law (my poor German doesn't help)... which as far as I've read here only Segway was able to get them.

I'm also completely lost regarding if, even in the case I can get the insurance and the plate, I can use my Tesla there (with the speed capped by the app) considering that only EUCs with a max speed of 25 km/h are allowed. What's weird is that EUCs with a motor up to 2,00 kW are allowed (not specifying if nominal or peak), and the Tesla's motor is 1,9 kW (nominal).

Are EUC riders (that are fully geared up and respect the traffic rules) still pursuit and brutally fined by the police?

Also I am aware of the following topics:

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

There is a statement regarding electric unicycles on the city website:  

https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/pd/de/index/stadtpolizei_zuerich/praevention/verkehrsunfallpraevention/elektro-trendfahrzeuge.html

It says:

"The vehicles listed below must not be used in public traffic areas. These are characterized by the fact that they are accessible to everyone (e.g. public streets, also neighborhood streets and meeting areas, pavement, parking spaces, e.g. at shopping centers).

(...)

Electric unicycle (monowheel)

Due to the lack of type approval and the lack of technical requirements, this motorized trend vehicle is not permitted on public grounds.

May only be used on cordoned off areas!"

I do not know whether or not this regulation is enforced as much as in Germany. I am a frequent visitor to Zurich but have not seen myself or heard about people riding EUC here, except NonStopNeal visiting Zurich some time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM0YTwtgRY4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7kKFyPq3zY

• Like 2

I am currently in Zurich and I agree that people actually follow the above laws the previous poster mentioned. My coworker here has a ninebot and she said she only rides on her personal property (cordoned off) and said that people will get fined when riding non-permissible vehicles. Sorry for the bad news! I think it's the perfect city for RUCs bc the sidewalks/roads are pristine. 

• Like 1

I go to Switzerland every year and keep telling my friends and family there that they have to get an EUC because all the beautiful separated bike paths etc,  The Swiss also love their bikes and their e bikes, however they don't break the law when it comes to e skateboards and EUC's.  I was given a very strange look when I tell them not to worry about it and just ride one. :efee8319ab:  The Swiss follow and respect the law & rules, probably why its such a beautiful place...

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 10:02 PM, leofaggio said:

There is a statement regarding electric unicycles on the city website:  

https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/pd/de/index/stadtpolizei_zuerich/praevention/verkehrsunfallpraevention/elektro-trendfahrzeuge.html

It says:

"The vehicles listed below must not be used in public traffic areas. These are characterized by the fact that they are accessible to everyone (e.g. public streets, also neighborhood streets and meeting areas, pavement, parking spaces, e.g. at shopping centers).

(...)

Electric unicycle (monowheel)

Due to the lack of type approval and the lack of technical requirements, this motorized trend vehicle is not permitted on public grounds.

May only be used on cordoned off areas!"

I do not know whether or not this regulation is enforced as much as in Germany. I am a frequent visitor to Zurich but have not seen myself or heard about people riding EUC here, except NonStopNeal visiting Zurich some time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM0YTwtgRY4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7kKFyPq3zY

Thanks a lot for the information and translation!

I also asked on the englishforum.ch and I'll quote one of the responses:

The model needs an formal and official type approval. This is done by the manufacturer or importer. In this process it must be shown that the model fulfills all the legal requirements. Some specs like noise or emission must have been measured by independent certified third party bodies (notified body).
https://www.astra.admin.ch/astra/de/...ologation.html

Each particular vehicle must be tested before it can be admitted for road use. This test can be done in bulk groups rather than individually as it is done with car or motorcycles. In this test it is cross checked that the vehicle is exactly like the one described in the type approval. After that the vehicle gets an individual grey card and can be admitted for road use once it is insured.

If the ECU has no gray card, insurance, and license plate it can only be used on non-public roads. be aware that the definition of public road is quite broad. It includes super market parking spaces which are not closed for public traffic.

I asked e-ride.ch, a Zurich based store, the same questions and this part of their response:

Unfortunately, there is no way that they will allow the EUC on the road - they have a concept to legalise but no details are published officially.
We tried to figure this out many years but Swiss bureaucracy was far bigger than we thought. 
Most of our existing customers are still riding on a bicycle lane - not on the main road where traffic is heavy, or use in the private place such as schools or office building blocks.

Then I asked them if they know whether we can expect them to be legal or not this year but I'm still waiting for them to reply.

The only ones left to ask are the Swiss authorities and the president :rolleyes:

Although there is hope these are still really bad news :cry2:! I bought my Tesla around 6 months ago thinking I would use it daily for saving time (with it I save around 40 min daily and I have tons of fun :D) plus maybe saving money in the long term. Damn rules! I'll have to the used to the public transport again, and it's not cheap. In Zurich a public transportation card costs 85CHF monthly in my case... :blink1:

• Like 3

Coffee guy do you still ride outside Lausanne without issues?

Does anybody know if gliding with one foot while using the other to land on short distances (see 3 seconds of the video) in pedestrian ways is considered riding? -_-

My only chance is to find a loophole :P

Yes, I continue to ride outside of Lausanne without issues.  I don’t do tricks or anything. Just ride for certain commutes, practice, and pleasure. While in country, my average rides are between 8-20kms per journey. On occasion I’ll do a 50km journey. Otherwise, I’ll take the SNCF to Paris (3hrs) to really open up, including joining group rides. Never a problem on the train or at the borders with the wheel.

I’ve seen that Dijon is half that distance, so might try that sometime.

If you ever want to make an excursion, I’m open for it. Any excuse is a good one to ride!  👍🏽