Trail Ride Video Thread

ZenRyder

41 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

The first part of this vid shows exactly the question I have had about jumping an EUC -- the wheel 'over spin'. I'm a long way off from jumping my wheel, but I've noticed on even little hops that the wheel will spin up and skid when I land, especially on gravel.

Is there a future solution for this overspin issue when airborn? Does the wheel also overspin if you manage to tip it back while in the air (I have no idea how you would do this, I just know that when the wheel tips forward it spins).

2 hours ago, UniMe said:

The first part of this vid shows exactly the question I have had about jumping an EUC -- the wheel 'over spin'. I'm a long way off from jumping my wheel, but I've noticed on even little hops that the wheel will spin up and skid when I land, especially on gravel.

Is there a future solution for this overspin issue when airborn? Does the wheel also overspin if you manage to tip it back while in the air (I have no idea how you would do this, I just know that when the wheel tips forward it spins).

First off this isn't my video, I was just sharing because I thought it was cool. As for this "overspin" it comes from tilting the wheel forwards or backwards in the air when you jump. If you watch FANTOMAS, you will see that sometimes when he jumps the wheel spins forward, other times it spins backwards. I would assume that the takeoff is really important so you stay upright without too much wheelspin. But like you, I am only able to do little hops so a little midair wheelspin isn't a big deal.

• Like 1

backward spin... that would freak me out a bit lol

so what you're saying is that, theoretically, one can minimize or change the will spin direction based on 'decisions' made at launch and in the air...? so if you keep it perfectly level in the air it probably spins forward, a bit back may be neutral and further tilted back and you might actually land with the wheel doing 50kph in the opposite direction of your travel... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UniMe said:

backward spin... that would freak me out a bit lol

so what you're saying is that, theoretically, one can minimize or change the will spin direction based on 'decisions' made at launch and in the air...? so if you keep it perfectly level in the air it probably spins forward, a bit back may be neutral and further tilted back and you might actually land with the wheel doing 50kph in the opposite direction of your travel... 

Exactly. Maybe you could even purposefully tilt the wheel forward or backward to make it spin and then self correct your own body position forward or backwards (like how motocross riders will rev or brake the bike midair to tilt the bike). Although take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, I've never jumped more than half a foot into the air :)

Here is an example of landing with the wheel spinning backwards (the wood chips shoot forward on landing).

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 3:54 PM, Mark Wilson said:

Exactly. Maybe you could even purposefully tilt the wheel forward or backward to make it spin and then self correct your own body position forward or backwards (like how motocross riders will rev or brake the bike midair to tilt the bike). Although take what I'm saying with a grain of salt, I've never jumped more than half a foot into the air :)

Here is an example of landing with the wheel spinning backwards (the wood chips shoot forward on landing).

If you look right at the start of this video and exactly the 29 second mark 'coach' does a wicked faceplant on a trail when he lands off a relatively small jump that it appears he has done a few times. Like the big forward rooster tail in this big jump, there is a small forward rooster tail from the comparatively hard trail and then it's all over but the crying -- buddy is laid out! His wheel also comes very close to a severe impact with his head -- a close call!

I really appreciate this chat and have come to think that the wheels should probably have some sort of software solution that prevents the wheel from over spinning forward or reversing direction when 'lifted' either when just lifting to carry the wheel or when flying 20 feet through the air. There may be some reason to allow the overspin, but from my short time with my wheel I can't really imagine what that might be... I can really see no value, at all, to the risk of a reverse direction overspin when airborne -- it just seems like a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 10:14 AM, Mark Wilson said:

There's a good crash in the beginning of this one:

I was going to comment on the use of the word 'good' in that sentence, reasoning that no crash is ever 'good'.

Having watched the crash I can see what you mean.  No apparent damage to the wheel or rider and a rather spectacular incident...

1 hour ago, Kenneth Borg Rasmussen said:

I saw that someone posted a video from my channel earlier here. This is newer and a bit bitter (IMHO) :) it’s me on KS S18 and a friend on KS 16x.

Nice to see some fellow Danes having fun. 

Lovin' all these trail riding videos. Those jumps are insane. I worry about small ones and having my feet come off the pedals. I'm going to have to try more jumps and just adjust the body angle to make sure I don't spin out when landing. This video is tame by comparison, just regular trail riding...