How to ride an electric unicycle - understanding the dynamics

John Eucist

I'm about to purchase my first EUC. I have about 200 miles on a Boosted Board and 30 miles on a one wheel, so limited board experience with no EUC experience. I've reviewed this entire thread and learned a great deal. 

I do have a question for the more experienced riders - Would it be feasible to use a shopping cart as a training aid? It would seem to provide a relatively stable way to gain some experience and I'd love to hear from anyone who has used a shopping cart when acquiring initial experience. Being able to keep both hands on the cart would seem to be a big help during initial training.

Second question - If using a shopping cart would work, would it be advisable to tether the strap to the cart handle to help keep the wheel from running away and to keep scratches and damage to a minimum?

Thanks for your opinions.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, KeithM said:

I'm about to purchase my first EUC. I have about 200 miles on a Boosted Board and 30 miles on a one wheel, so limited board experience with no EUC experience. I've reviewed this entire thread and learned a great deal. 

I do have a question for the more experienced riders - Would it be feasible to use a shopping cart as a training aid? It would seem to provide a relatively stable way to gain some experience and I'd love to hear from anyone who has used a shopping cart when acquiring initial experience. Being able to keep both hands on the cart would seem to be a big help during initial training.

Second question - If using a shopping cart would work, would it be advisable to tether the strap to the cart handle to help keep the wheel from running away and to keep scratches and damage to a minimum?

Thanks for your opinions.

I think the shopping cart is a great idea. I know people have used that. Wish I did when I was learning. In lieu of a shopping cart (not sure how you legally get a shopping cart home :mellow:) you might also be able to use your home trash bin if you have the automated collection bin type with wheels.

I'm not a fan of tethers but I know some people use them. I think padding up the wheel is a better way to go, IMO. I certainly wouldn't tether the wheel to the cart, but I can't give you a good reason why. Just seems wrong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@KeithM If I had to start from the beginning again :facepalm: I would try a pair of rubber tipped canes and use them like ski poles. You would have stability in both forward/reverse and laterally. I used a set of parallel bars indoors and I believe @novazeus fabricated something similar outdoors. Hallways work as well. 

Many members are against tethers because most people using the strap system hold onto it for dear life. If your worried about scratching up the wheel just tuck the free end of the tether loosely into you pant’s pocket so you can grab it just before the wheel hits the ground. 

Applying an abundance of protective padding like @Marty Backe suggested is a big :thumbup: as well. 

I like @litewave ‘s idea but I didn’t have any friends at the time and my wife would have just let me fall.;)

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, stephen said:

This is my first day i wrapped the ks16s up in carpet underlay so i didn't care if it dropped or not so i could forget about scratching it ,makes a difference in your mind

This is my second day i took the padding off and went on grass still no scratches , if you can find flat grass it's good to learn on because it takes the worry of hurting yourself on a hard surface , i loved the wide open space i just went where the euc took me 

Looking back, those were magical times right? That first sensation of being able to ride the wheel - the beginning of the addiction :D

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, stephen said:

Exactly the first sensation when something clicks and you start riding , but when does it stop cause for me i can't wait to ride my wheel as often as possible , i know wheels are expensive but it's the best money I've ever spent 😊

I can honestly say that it has mellowed a bit with me. I think sometime after the 2-year mark I noticed I didn't have to ride every single day. This is probably a good thing, so that you get a little bit of your life back :)

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, stephen said:

Exactly the first sensation when something clicks and you start riding , but when does it stop cause for me i can't wait to ride my wheel as often as possible , i know wheels are expensive but it's the best money I've ever spent 😊

We have all been there. You did an awesome job on your first day of training!  :thumbup:  I do like this classic pose.;)

39836470353_a4f04446bf_b.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I think the shopping cart is a great idea. I know people have used that. Wish I did when I was learning. In lieu of a shopping cart (not sure how you legally get a shopping cart home :mellow:) you might also be able to use your home trash bin if you have the automated collection bin type with wheels.

Plus 1 on that, except the wheelee bin.  I've seen video of people taking the trash out on an EUC and since its 155 steps from the curb to where I keep mine, I decided, just yesterday, on the way back from the mail box, to bring it in while on my wheel......BAD IDEA.  The bin wants to go one way and the wheel another,it was a total mind fluck.  I made it, but it was not easy.  @KeithM Stay clear of that idea.  But, If you can already ride a One Wheel, you're half way there.  Any recommended technique you have read will work out.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Plus 1 on that, except the wheelee bin.  I've seen video of people taking the trash out on an EUC and since its 155 steps from the curb to where I keep mine, I decided, just yesterday, on the way back from the mail box, to bring it in while on my wheel......BAD IDEA.  The bin wants to go one way and the wheel another,it was a total mind fluck.  I made it, but it was not easy.  @KeithM Stay clear of that idea.  But, If you can already ride a One Wheel, you're half way there.  Any recommended technique you have read will work out.

Just about every week I use a wheel to bring my trash bins (three) to and from the street - anything to get some riding in :)

A good feedback on being a bad idea for training :thumbup:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Just about every week I use a wheel to bring my trash bins (three) to and from the street - anything to get some riding in :)

A good feedback on being a bad idea for training :thumbup:

Come to think of it, it might have been your video of taking the trash out, I was remembering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

What? Why didn't you rent some?;)

I’m too cheap. It is interesting that people actually participate in this social activity. 

46803624301_d77d37c08b_b.jpg

Will you be my friend? :cheers:

17 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I’m too cheap. It is interesting that people actually participate in this social activity. 

46803624301_d77d37c08b_b.jpg

Will you be my friend? :cheers:

:roflmao:No flucking way.  That's real?!!! What do you mean cheap? the combined value of your wheels (just since the accident) and your super duper drone (yeah, I looked it up) could be used to put a down payment on a house in London, and that's saying something.

13 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

155 steps! I may have you beat although I have never counted.

Time to show some trash videos. Your up next Marty. I believe @eddiemoy had one as well. 

That brought back memories. Here's mine ...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

155 steps! I may have you beat although I have never counted.

Well you know what I'm about to ask, don't you.

Go count them, and no cheating with tiny steps.

But I think @novazeus has us all beat; 2000 feet I think he said was the length of his own personal EUC training ground driveway.

ps I was fully aware of the size of your lot when I posted that 155.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

Go count them, and no cheating with tiny steps.

But I think @novazeus has us all beat; 2000 feet I think he said was the length of his own personal EUC training ground driveway.

ps I was fully aware of the size of your lot when I posted that 155.

Let’s see that ‘155’! I’ll walk it tonight after plowing the snow. Such a mess out there. My drive is only 300 feet so Novazeus has us both beat. 

Gentlemen:

Thanks very much for the replies on my shopping cart question. I have a shopping cart in my shop and an area to use it. If the idea works well, I'll probably head for the supermarket and "borrow" one of their carts to ride around their huge parking lot. Given Marty Backe's advise I'll forgo the strap and not try the trash can. The rubber tipped canes idea from Rehab1 sounds interesting. Seems like once the weight of them might help with balance issues.

Waiting for my Glide 3 to arrive so I can join the group.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KeithM said:

Gentlemen:

Thanks very much for the replies on my shopping cart question. I have a shopping cart in my shop and an area to use it. If the idea works well, I'll probably head for the supermarket and "borrow" one of their carts to ride around their huge parking lot. Given Marty Backe's advise I'll forgo the strap and not try the trash can. The rubber tipped canes idea from Rehab1 sounds interesting. Seems like once the weight of them might help with balance issues.

Waiting for my Glide 3 to arrive so I can join the group.

Maybe try a baby stroller?