How to ride an electric unicycle - understanding the dynamics

John Eucist

On 11/29/2017 at 6:03 AM, Marty Backe said:

Be sure to practice all the mounts :)

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed you didn't demonstrate the "sausage roll" or the "drum roll"  still, something for me to work on, now where's that freaking airplane gone.:blink:

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bambino said:

In KS 18s you can do more mounts because you can start seated!!

Good point. Maybe I'll re-shoot the video some day to add seated mounts :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So.....I was just riding to Boston during the early evening rush hour traffic. At the bridge between Everett and Boston (at the LNG tanker dock area) the metal grating that gets raised is sort of a course pattern with gaps in the pattern about the size of three or four fingers interspersed with a half foot wide concrete strip. Personally I hate riding over metal gratings and will dismount and take the sidewalk rather than use the bike lane space.

Well....today there was a guy on a hefty looking black electric unicycle wearing a full face (plus chin guard) coming across from Boston. He was sort of slalom riding (long radius) on the grating while looking down at his path of motion. As he got closer to where I was riding on the sidewalk I raised my arm as did he when we passed each other.

Perhaps, on that bridge when dry, his slalom technique (at speed) provides a more stable ride on metal grating bridges than slow riding in a straight line. Maybe he used the parallel concrete strip as well for traction in the turning phase.

His shiny new looking EUC......was maybe a Tesla or InMotion V10....but just guessing.

Me...I'm not that talented a rider......I had a bad encounter a few days ago in a pedestrian crosswalk at what is called a 'rotary'. Essentially I judged the traffic flow before attempting to cross quickly in the pedestrian crosswalk. The moving car I planned to pass (rear speaking) suddenly stopped with its rear panels in the center of the crosswalk. Rotaries are lethal for entering drivers since the cars in the rotary have the right of way.  The abruptly stopped vehicle was enough to block my path and I ran off the EUC grabbing at the car's  rear end bike rack in the process. My Monster thrashed a bit, powered down, the car continued unfettered as it entered the rotary and the next car before the crosswalk stopped and observed while I retrieved my Gotway and lugged it the rest of the way across the pedestrian walkway. A bit of clear tape now holds the forward part of Monsters scratched nose in place.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

So.....I was just riding to Boston during the early evening rush hour traffic. At the bridge between Everett and Boston (at the LNG tanker dock area) the metal grating that gets raised is sort of a course pattern with gaps in the pattern about the size of three or four fingers interspersed with a half foot wide concrete strip. Personally I hate riding over metal gratings and will dismount and take the sidewalk rather than use the bike lane space.

Well....today there was a guy on a hefty looking black electric unicycle wearing a full face (plus chin guard) coming across from Boston. He was sort of slalom riding (long radius) on the grating while looking down at his path of motion. As he got closer to where I was riding on the sidewalk I raised my arm as did he when we passed each other.

Perhaps, on that bridge when dry, his slalom technique (at speed) provides a more stable ride on metal grating bridges than slow riding in a straight line. Maybe he used the parallel concrete strip as well for traction in the turning phase.

His shiny new looking EUC......was maybe a Tesla or InMotion V10....but just guessing.

Me...I'm not that talented a rider......I had a bad encounter a few days ago in a pedestrian crosswalk at what is called a 'rotary'. Essentially I judged the traffic flow before attempting to cross quickly in the pedestrian crosswalk. The moving car I planned to pass (rear speaking) suddenly stopped with its rear panels in the center of the crosswalk. Rotaries are lethal for entering drivers since the cars in the rotary have the right of way.  The abruptly stopped vehicle was enough to block my path and I ran off the EUC grabbing at the car's  rear end bike rack in the process. My Monster thrashed a bit, powered down, the car continued unfettered as it entered the rotary and the next car before the crosswalk stopped and observed while I retrieved my Gotway and lugged it the rest of the way across the pedestrian walkway. A bit of clear tape now holds the forward part of Monsters scratched nose in place.

I can't believe you guys didn't stop for a moment and exchange pleasantries. We're such a rare breed how can you not stop and relish the unique encounter? 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I can't believe you guys didn't stop for a moment and exchange pleasantries. We're such a rare breed how can you not stop and relish the unique encounter? 

I thought it was mandatory!

• Like 2

Here's the place revisited today.

Sort of an uphill for the poor Monster....hard to brake...clear sailing earlier.

I must have been California dreaming or something..

https://youtu.be/f9-HuqkGT08

@Marty Backe, @The Fat Unicyclist  I'm not sure the driver was aware of the encounter..... Exchange pleasantries.... I'll have to remember that.....Closer to home an owner mumbled something offensive to her dog when it barked as I passed.

Getting onto the early am train train to Boston for my recent NYC ride the female conductor standing on the platform looked at me and the Monster. First she looked at me...then she said 'I don't know' ....after getting on she approached me in my seat saying 'I'm here to help you not hurt you' these things should go in the bike area (full). Pulling the Monster between my legs I said how's this? She wasn't pleased but the express ride to Boston ended with her concern for a woman seated across from me, who was using a leg support looking like mini wheel chair for a knee. First time it's been an issue although I try to avoid prime time train travel on the MBTA. Awkwardly I got off the train in Bean town as the conductor ducked under my arm as I stood with others ready to leave. She wanted to speak with the woman with the knee wheel chair....God forgive that she be made to feel uncomfortable. The Bolt bus ticket agent at the gate was happy to assist me....fetching change for a twenty so I could pay cash to board. Monster went under the bus. The ticket agent asked me if I wanted to take it aboard.

Last night the corner store had been stripped of its beer inventory! Maybe they are keeping it off the shelf until Salem State graduates?! I was going to buy a six pack in addition to bread and pizzas!

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

Question: I am now riding in traffic and some times not so smooth surface. I find that going down a curb/edge of if not able to miss a "smooth-pothole, I loose foothold just enough for feets shift randomly. So any techniques to avoid this?

Or is it just me being too old and stiff in my body? Going up curbs do not seem to cause as much of a problem.

I have been trying to kind stand on toes to gain better control of the landing on the pedals. But only with some success. @Marty Backe if you know a good tip can you show this in a video? Anyone are of course free to chip in with tips or videos.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Question: I am now riding in traffic and some times not so smooth surface. I find that going down a curb/edge of if not able to miss a "smooth-pothole, I loose foothold just enough for feets shift randomly. So any techniques to avoid this?

Apply some grip tape to the pedals and also you have to provide the suspension with your legs...

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Unventor said:

14 hours ago, Chriull said:

Apply some grip tape to the pedals and also you have to provide the suspension with your legs...

I agree... Adopting "the Chooch Suspension Position" will allow you to keep your feet in contact with the pedals more.

You could also try clenching a little... calves on the wheel, or sphincter,  either one may be beneficial.   :blink1:

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Unventor said:

Or is it just me being too old and stiff in my body? Going up curbs do not seem to cause as much of a problem.

I have been trying to kind stand on toes to gain better control of the landing on the pedals. But only with some success. @Marty Backe if you know a good tip can you show this in a video? Anyone are of course free to chip in with tips or videos.

Hi

I'm also new to this hobby, but one thing I have learned in recent days; if I forget my feet then it feels a lot easyer. The biggest mistake I've made is that I have tried to steer and stabilize the wheel with my feet all the time. As you climb up on the pedal, it must give you the same feeling as you get when you put on the shoes. If you put your entire concentration on the position of your feet, the wheel feels heavy and unstable. The wheel is guided from the knees and upwards, the upper body. As similarly to slalom, wind surfing or cycling without steering. So it helped me a lot to let the brain concentrate on the upper part of my body, not on my foot. The EUC is my shoe.
Regards from Finland
Carl

Och nu tar vi samma på svenska:
Jag är också en nybörjare, men en sak jag har lärt mig under de senaste dagarna; om jag glömmer mina fötter så går det mycket lättare. Det största misstaget jag har gjort är att jag har försökt att styra och stabilisera hjulet med mina fötter hela tiden. När du stiger upp på pedalen måste den ge dig samma känsla som du får när du sätter på skorna. Om du lägger hela koncentrationen på dina fötter så känns hjulet rätt tungt och instabilt. Hjulet styrs från knäna och uppåt, med överkroppen. På samma sätt som i slalom, vindsurfing eller cykling utan att hålla i styrstaget. Så det hjälpte mig mycket att låta hjärnan koncentrera sig på den övre kroppen, inte på mina fötter. Så det behövs att man tänker om helheten.
Hälsningar från mig här i staden Kotka, Finland!
Carl

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dismason said:

Hi

I'm also new to this hobby, but one thing I have learned in recent days; if I forget my feet then it feels a lot easyer. The biggest mistake I've made is that I have tried to steer and stabilize the wheel with my feet all the time. As you climb up on the pedal, it must give you the same feeling as you get when you put on the shoes. If you put your entire concentration on the position of your feet, the wheel feels heavy and unstable. The wheel is guided from the knees and upwards, the upper body. As similarly to slalom, wind surfing or cycling without steering. So it helped me a lot to let the brain concentrate on the upper part of my body, not on my foot. The EUC is my shoe.
Regards from Finland
Carl

Thanks I get what you are saying. And I agree this right most of he time. It is the situaston where you see a bunp that you can prepare for but dont have time to break or you cant stear away from.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chriull said:

Inmotion V8 pedals are full coated with grip tape from factory.

Iguess I have too little Chooch factor in my body and legs. ?

But then again he look like the rubber man from Fantastic 4 how he can use his legs for suspenssion. :clap3:

On 11/28/2017 at 11:03 PM, Marty Backe said:

Be sure to practice all the mounts :)

LOL! A “distracted mount” caused me to do an unintentional “California mount” and resulted in the only bloody knee I have had. (Last year when I only had 65 miles on my Segway S1)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

LOL! A “distracted mount” caused me to do an unintentional “California mount” and resulted in the only bloody knee I have had. (Last year when I only had 65 miles on my Segway S1)

I think we've all done the unintentional California Roll :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Beginner question: How slow can people go before they fall off? I see riders coming to a stop but they are doing it in such a controlled way it looks impossible to me at this stage. It's like they glide in the direction they want to go to without any wobbles very very slowly without having to steer into any turns and just take their foot off.

I presume this is all experience? :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bigwheel said:

Beginner question: How slow can people go before they fall off? I see riders coming to a stop but they are doing it in such a controlled way it looks impossible to me at this stage. It's like they glide in the direction they want to go to without any wobbles very very slowly without having to steer into any turns and just take their foot off.

I presume this is all experience? :)

It is more an advanced skill, and it will come later on when you are able to balance yourself faster and more precisely. To me the key was tilt-steering, where I let the wheel tilt left and right between my legs. Bending the outside curve leg and keeping the inside straight, is how some guys explain it.

This video was a big thing for me back then:

• Like 3