bigwave

Introduction and first wheel advice.

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

From your videos I think you benafit in the long run training like you posted. It pushes you to have a sense or where you are going. 

Like you said some are gifted with good listen and learning and then put to practice, whether that be physical activity or language or math. We are all different. 

With your background as an instructor I think you have an more investigation approach compared to some that just jump on and try. Due to this and what you posted as your background I think you will nail this with in a week and ride about as you do on your Pint, onewheel thingy😊 (if I recall it's name right🙄). 

I just want focus on the basics that you pointed out to me, Mounting/Dismounting ,Braking and Turning. More skill in those areas the confidence to ride longer and further . 

I like to watch the video's on YouTube. Not just the instructional ones . Reviews , different wheels ,on/off road etc. Some of the best video's are by @Mike Sacristan. I like watching his crew Simon,Petra and his wife Monika ride. You can learn so much by studying their body positions while starting ,riding and stopping. I really enjoyed a video he posted about the girls riding up and down a hill with different wheels. It show the psychological aspect of over coming there fear of riding down the hill. It was well within there skill set and Mike coached them into believing they could do it. 

As well as my first EUC ride yesterday, I taught my wife how to ride the OneWheel Pint yesterday. After about a 1/2 hour she was carving around having fun. She couldn't believe how easy it was. I said "Honey, it's all about professional instruction" LOL. 

14 hours ago, bigwave said:

I just want focus on the basics that you pointed out to me, Mounting/Dismounting ,Braking and Turning. More skill in those areas the confidence to ride longer and further . 

I like to watch the video's on YouTube. Not just the instructional ones . Reviews , different wheels ,on/off road etc. Some of the best video's are by @Mike Sacristan. I like watching his crew Simon,Petra and his wife Monika ride. You can learn so much by studying their body positions while starting ,riding and stopping. I really enjoyed a video he posted about the girls riding up and down a hill with different wheels. It show the psychological aspect of over coming there fear of riding down the hill. It was well within there skill set and Mike coached them into believing they could do it. 

As well as my first EUC ride yesterday, I taught my wife how to ride the OneWheel Pint yesterday. After about a 1/2 hour she was carving around having fun. She couldn't believe how easy it was. I said "Honey, it's all about professional instruction" LOL. 

Thanks!

We try to push each other a little every day. Some riders are naturally better at others when it comes to different styles and it is fun to learn from each other. :)

Posted (edited)

Well, since I got my 18XL a couple weeks ago I past the 200 Km today which unlocks the horses to there maximum speed. Originally when I posted I said that Stability, Predicability and Reliability were my priorities with speed being 4th. With my limited experience so far ,I have realized what I want in my next wheel as a number 1 priority...Acceleration! I really like the feel when accelerating on the wheel. The FW 2.0 , made the 18XL feel like it was accelerating harder and I like the feel. I've only briefly hit 40 kph at top speed and I think with my weight 210 lbs I'm going to keep my Alarm set there. It's plenty fast for me.

So, would a 16X or a Nikola be a noticeable difference in acceleration over a 18XL ?  Perhaps a M Super Pro?

Edited by bigwave

3 hours ago, bigwave said:

So, would a 16X or a Nikola be a noticeable difference in acceleration over a 18XL ?  Perhaps a M Super Pro?

I have only tested the KS16X, yes it can accelerate harder (but KS16X isn't as safe at higher speeds do being build for torque)

Same goes for braking, but for the braking part it is harder to control. I think this is due to having shorter distance between wheel axel and pedals (as pedals are shorter to get higher pedals despite having smaller rim on KS16X vs KS18L/XL). 

This is partly why I originally and still think it is easier to learn to ride on KS18L/XL over KS16X.

Note: Since I am not a GW guy nor have a craving for speed I can't comment on how their model compare. But lesser rim size normally translate into a more zipper feel. 

4 hours ago, bigwave said:

would a 16X or a Nikola be a noticeable difference in acceleration over a 18XL ?  Perhaps a M Super Pro?

The 18XL with fw 2.0 has easily the most effortless acceleration of any 18” wheel, so to improve on that a smaller wheel diameter is the only direction. Nikola having a very different firmware would probably not even be an improvement, so the 16X or a wheel with a 16x2.50” or narrower tire would be your only choices.

But do try out all three ride modes extensively, preferably for at least one full battery on each so you’ll have some time to adjust. Orherwise the new ones will just feel strange and you’ll fail to utilize their potential. The modes really do make a big difference. 

8 hours ago, bigwave said:

Well, since I got my 18XL a couple weeks ago I past the 200 Km today which unlocks the horses to there maximum speed. Originally when I posted I said that Stability, Predicability and Reliability were my priorities with speed being 4th. With my limited experience so far ,I have realized what I want in my next wheel as a number 1 priority...Acceleration! I really like the feel when accelerating on the wheel. The FW 2.0 , made the 18XL feel like it was accelerating harder and I like the feel. I've only briefly hit 40 kph at top speed and I think with my weight 210 lbs I'm going to keep my Alarm set there. It's plenty fast for me.

I also dream of more torque, but at the moment I don’t think there are any wheels that has an acceleration that would justify a purchase with that as a sole reason. After the FW 2.0, I can’t really feel much difference between the V10F, KS16S or KS18XL when it comes to acceleration. The V10F and KS18XL is basically the same off the line, but I think the XL would cross the line first in a 100 m sprint, because the “second” wave of acceleration feels more powerful. The KS16S has a nippier feel the first two meters, but after that it flattens out.

Because of my weight, I’ve also limited the top speed, but hard acceleration is also a cut off risk when you’re on the heavy side, so what we really want is more power. It would be interesting to see a 16X with a 2.5 tyre vs a 18XL, then the friction would be the same and the 16X might get a large enough gap the first meters to hold off the 18XL’s second wave wheel diameter acceleration in a 100 m sprint. The MSP with a 2500W motor vs the KS 18XL/16X 2200W would also be interesting to see, but I doubt the difference would be significant, at least not for me. What I dream of when it comes to acceleration is a slight loss off traction when I give it the beans, so that I can take on the rocky hill climb in my neighbourhood with power and speed, and without hearing the 80% power warning all the time.

The Inmotion V12 is coming this year, the word game changing have been used on the new Kingsong, and I’m sure Gotway are working on a wheel with a 4000W speaker, break your ankle angled foot plates and lethal laser headlights, so there might be reasons to wait.   

3 hours ago, Espen R said:

The Inmotion V12 is coming this year, the word game changing have been used on the new Kingsong, and I’m sure Gotway are working on a wheel with a 4000W speaker, break your ankle angled foot plates and lethal laser headlights, so there might be reasons to wait.

@Espen R Thank you for your insights . What is this 80% power warning? Does this apply to my 18XL? 

It must be great to try various models of wheels . In my sport, Kitesurfing , I'm very fortunate to be able to use lots of boards, kites, foils etc. More so than wheels , the products look very alike but surprisingly they are quite different sometimes. One thing is for sure, Kitesurfing has been around for 20 yr "mainstream" so all the products produced today work exceptionally well. In my brief EUC experience I think I've entered in a period where the wheels are starting to achieve reliable safe performance but I do read about some issues. But that is expected. They have been making cars and there are issues, recalls etc.

Please let me know more about this New Gotway Laser Wheel. The future is almost here! Lol. Thanks!!

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I’m not sure if the difference in friction would affect acceleration very much, but the outer diameter of a 16x2.5” is much smaller than a 16x3.0”, so it would definitely accelerate a good bit easier.

Well, free spinning, mass is a much bigger factor than friction, because then it’s only air friction you’re dealing with, but when you add surface friction and weight, the tables are usually turned. As the wheel rotates faster and faster, mass will eventually overtake friction again, but not in a 100 m sprint, and probably not within the speed an EUC is capable of.

Still, we’re only talking about a few grams and a few square cm, so if the difference in acceleration edges friction vs mass or vice versa, it would be fairly minute, and who really cares if friction or mass is biggest cause when accelerating a wheel with a 2.5 vs 3.0 tyre, when the only sensible point is that it will be a difference:)

2 hours ago, bigwave said:

@Espen R Thank you for your insights . What is this 80% power warning? Does this apply to my 18XL? 

It must be great to try various models of wheels . In my sport, Kitesurfing , I'm very fortunate to be able to use lots of boards, kites, foils etc. More so than wheels , the products look very alike but surprisingly they are quite different sometimes. One thing is for sure, Kitesurfing has been around for 20 yr "mainstream" so all the products produced today work exceptionally well. In my brief EUC experience I think I've entered in a period where the wheels are starting to achieve reliable safe performance but I do read about some issues. But that is expected. They have been making cars and there are issues, recalls etc.

Please let me know more about this New Gotway Laser Wheel. The future is almost here! Lol. Thanks!!

If you find a fairly steep hill and try to accelerate up the hill, you’ll probably get the 3 small beep 80% power warning, you’ll hear that it is different to the 3 beep speed warning, and you should respect that and ease off the power to prevent a cut off.

I think you’re right, most wheels today are pretty good, but I do prefer smart solutions, so when a company that hasn’t exactly exceled in the smart solution category, comes with a wheel that has a fairly stupid speaker placement, the test wheel had so angled pedals that it was impossible to ride, and adds lights that are great, but perhaps a bit overpowered if you are in traffic, I can’t help myself;)

4 hours ago, Espen R said:

when a company that hasn’t exactly exceled in the smart solution category, comes with a wheel that has a fairly stupid speaker placement, the test wheel had so angled pedals that it was impossible to ride, and adds lights that are great, but perhaps a bit overpowered if you are in traffic, I can’t help myself;)

:roflmao:

9 hours ago, Espen R said:

Well, free spinning, mass is a much bigger factor than friction, because then it’s only air friction you’re dealing with, but when you add surface friction and weight, the tables are usually turned. As the wheel rotates faster and faster, mass will eventually overtake friction again, but not in a 100 m sprint, and probably not within the speed an EUC is capable of.

Still, we’re only talking about a few grams and a few square cm, so if the difference in acceleration edges friction vs mass or vice versa, it would be fairly minute, and who really cares if friction or mass is biggest cause when accelerating a wheel with a 2.5 vs 3.0 tyre, when the only sensible point is that it will be a difference:)

If you find a fairly steep hill and try to accelerate up the hill, you’ll probably get the 3 small beep 80% power warning, you’ll hear that it is different to the 3 beep speed warning, and you should respect that and ease off the power to prevent a cut off.

I think you’re right, most wheels today are pretty good, but I do prefer smart solutions, so when a company that hasn’t exactly exceled in the smart solution category, comes with a wheel that has a fairly stupid speaker placement, the test wheel had so angled pedals that it was impossible to ride, and adds lights that are great, but perhaps a bit overpowered if you are in traffic, I can’t help myself;)

The three beep warning you mention here, is that on an 18xl or a gotway?

I was told gotway only had a speed related warning. It scares me a lot to think that my tesla would explode before warning me when climbing a steep hill.

6 hours ago, alcatraz said:

The three beep warning you mention here, is that on an 18xl or a gotway?

I was told gotway only had a speed related warning. It scares me a lot to think that my tesla would explode before warning me when climbing a steep hill.

Yes, it’s on a 18XL, but the V10F also has a 80% warning. The Tesla wouldn’t explode, but you’ll fry your motherboard and take a fall. I’m a tall and fairly heavy guy, and the lack of a true 80% warning on Gotway’s is one of the main reasons why I haven’t bought any of their wheels. It’s ok to focus on performance, I can respect that, but not having an 80% warning or a MOSFET temperature measurement is not ok. It’s so easy to fix, and the only plausible excuse to why they still haven’t implemented this is ignorance.  

5 hours ago, Espen R said:

not having an 80% warning or a MOSFET temperature measurement is not ok.

To be fair, none of the current wheels has an actual Mosfet temperature sensor. They all just measure a specific spot on the control board. But every wheel has an overheat temp limit that can be expected to reflect the location of the probe to some extent.

At least the MSP, MSX and Nikola are such resilient powerhouses, that they do not fry a Mosfet or melt motor wires unless you are doing something obviously stupid. Like I did when slowly riding down and immediately up a 150m long slope steep enough to encourage walking with ones hands on the ground as well. The current MSXs have a much improved motor wire length and routing, and would’ve very likely gotten me up the last 10m as well, where my early production 84V MSX finally failed.

5 hours ago, Espen R said:

It’s so easy to fix, and the only plausible excuse to why they still haven’t implemented this is ignorance.  

Like for so many other issues as well, I agree. And not even limited to just Gotway. But much more than a different temp probe placement, I miss a battery current metering on Gotways.

On 3/5/2020 at 1:17 AM, Espen R said:

Is there any word on the timeframe of these new wheels?  I'm looking into what to buy for my first non-learner wheel and if there's new stuff coming soon ("soon" is the important word here), it might be worth waiting.  I wouldn't even necessarily be interested in a new one, but the prices on the old ones should drop, I expect, plus more used ones should hit the market.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Stillhart said:

Is there any word on the timeframe of these new wheels?

I’ve seen April revealing and June delivery mentioned for the Inmotion, and late summer for the new 18” KS.

Gotway comes up with something new about every other month... :P

Edited by mrelwood

50 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Gotway comes up with something new about every other month... :P

Yeah, you heard the rumors about the Msuper Pro offroad? This model has all the features of the normal Pro, but has additional speaker grilles to protect the speakers from damage. :thumbup:

1585477500854.png

2 hours ago, buell47 said:

Yeah, you heard the rumors about the Msuper Pro offroad? This model has all the features of the normal Pro, but has additional speaker grilles to protect the speakers from damage. :thumbup:

1585477500854.png

:roflmao:Hilarious!

Posted (edited)
On 1/25/2020 at 9:40 PM, bigwave said:

Hello All,

I'm new to the forum and new to the world of EUC. A little background. 60yrs old, 6'0" 210 lbs, very athletic all my life. Currently my main sport is Kitesurfing (20yrs)both water and snow. I've been kite Hydrofoiling for the last 6 yrs as well. Currently ride a Onewheel Pint as well . Played Hockey, Raced Motocross ,Wing Suit(just kidding, NO Wing Suit...lol)  Blah Blah Blah....

Honestly ,I had no idea EUC existed a month ago. Since my discovery, I have been obsessed with watching videos and reading the forum here. My need for a EUC is strictly for fun. I don't need one for a commute. Just riding around, carving ,probably mostly on road but not ruling out some off road stuff. I really am so interested in learning how to do it. The challenge of learning how to ride will be very satisfying. 

So, the wheels I have been very interested in are the Kingsong 16x and the Gotway Nikola Plus. To the experienced riders here on the forum, would these be suitable? Should there be other wheels I should consider? 

Looking forward to hearing your advice! Thank You

I responded to another guy that's 55, same age as me, with some tips as he was in a similar situation.

This is my opinion based on personal experience and information I have gathered from this forum and other sources..

With your weight, I weigh the same, and the inherent stability of the wheel, I would go with an 18 inch wheel that offers the widest tire available.  The bigger wheels and wider tires are more stable.

The suggestion you get from a number of people is to buy something not that expensive because you're going to beat it up a little bit in the beginning.  While this is a valid point to consider it's kind of ironic in that most if not all of the less expensive EUC's have a smaller diameter wheel.

My experience may not be typical as I did this exact thing and bought a KS14S (14" wheel)  to learn on.  It was less expensive so I didn't care as much about falling and beating it up, but it was so small of a wheel that it was unrideable for me.  I spent three weeks beating myself up before I finally bought a bigger wheel and started being able to ride an EUC.  The difference with the bigger diameter wheel and the wider tire was immediate and I've never gone back since.

In the end if you decide that EUC's aren't for you, the market for them right now is such that you'll probably get most if not all of your money back if you decide to sell it.  The bigger wheels appear to hold their value pretty good.

My suggestion is buy the bigger wheel and pad it up and get out there and ride.  I'm approaching 600 miles now on EUC's and while that's a drop in the bucket compared to others out there, getting a bigger wheel with a wider tire assisted me greatly in getting there.

As far as which one's to buy, my contribution to the list is:

Ninebot Z10, Inmotion V10F, and Kingsong and Gotway 18" wheels.  

Edited by Senior Coffee

@Senior Coffee I appreciate your advice. I bought a KS-18XL on the recommendation of several forum members. My learning curve was very fast. I now have about 360 miles on it now. About a month ago I purchased a Mten3 ,which is super fun to ride and my wife is in the process of learning on it. I will soon be getting another wheel I hope. Possibly a MSP ,Nikola or 16x.