Introduction and first wheel advice.

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

This is not safer if you unexperienced and don't understand what you are doing or how to apply it. 

Please go back and read first two posts. The member asking for advice and then my first reply to that. 

The next post to consider is the list @Mike Sacristan made.

So what I am saying (and here I am uninstalling my diplomatic mode) I flat out think @Ben Kim that your advice is a poor advice. It is  from where you are now as a rider, and not where you start as a new rider. I respect you have an opinion very diffrent than mine, but that is not the same as I can't voice mine. 

In the end @bigwavedo decide who is making most sense. I wish you all the best in whatever choice you make. And like I said before I do hope you will share how you get along. 

Actually, if i could do it all over again I would have bought 100V from the very beginning so I wouldn’t have to deal with depreciation when I outgrew Kingsong wheels inside a month. I fell victim to the “31 mph is enough for me” trap. Don’t be me. 

On 2/1/2020 at 1:38 AM, Ben Kim said:

How much do you weigh?  The Nikola 100V is super easy to push 40 MPH.  I find myself hitting 37+ (60 kmh) without even thinking about it.  The only thing preventing me from exceeding 40 MPH is a fear of cutting out.  Fastest I've gone on the Nikola was 39.7 MPH (a shade under 64 kmh) and I wasn't really trying either; that wheel just wants to keep moving (for better or worse).  

I tend to keep my weight around 64kg which gives me a riding weight of 70kg.
I don't own a Nik+ though so I am also battling my own uncertainty when riding it. My brain protects me from doing stupid things (most of the time).
Like leaning into wheels that I am not 100% familiar with. :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I tend to keep my weight around 64kg which gives me a riding weight of 70kg.
I don't own a Nik+ though so I am also battling my own uncertainty when riding it. My brain protects me from doing stupid things (most of the time).
Like leaning into wheels that I am not 100% familiar with. :D

You should never be leaning. That’s a sure fire way to faceplant over a pothole! Side to side action, bent knees, weight shifting is the most effective way to accelerate. Owning a Monster forced me to relearn the way I ride and it translates to other wheels as well. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Unventor said:

So what I am saying (and here I am uninstalling my diplomatic mode) I flat out think @Ben Kim that your advice is a poor advice. It is  from where you are now as a rider, and not where you start as a new rider.

Totally agree with you, it sounds like crazy advice to me. A large cumbersome wheel like the Nikola would be a pain to learn on, a pain to pick up after every fall and that pretty piano surface would be ruined after a week of learning. Just yesterday I taught someone to ride on my Inmotion V5f, after an hour they could confidently ride around my local tennis court. They'll probably keep the wheel for a month or two before deciding what wheel to move on to. The nice thing about an easy to learn on wheel is that you can buy and sell them without losing too much money and, every time the wheel changes owner, it introduces a new person to our ranks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eko said:

I still don't completely understand why almost nobody speaks about local environment(that can change totally the personal needs). And euc's weight. If it's for commuting is an essential problem. 

Secondly, I would never recommend my V8 as first wheel if you can afford a more stable and more powerful one. Yes, it won't be cheap but V8 (my version particularly, the 1,9.." tyre width) is A) horribly unstable at the (long) beginning  B ) weak (for both battery and motor).   Super-tough to learn.  Every one I let it try for a while, finds it a nightmare and after very few seconds are losing balance,over and over again. Even after many trials they usually give up, disappointed, scared and upset. 

I don't have all this experience as Eucist but I've found an abyss of riding-feeling between a V8 as mine and, for ex., a KS 16x.   The only reason why I haven't bought it yet is because of the several (and worrying) issues I read about also in this forum. Really too many for a new expensive ewheel like that. 

You can put a 2.125in tire in the V8. Have you experimented with tire pressures? Once you find the right tire and tire pressure it's quite manageable.

The V8 is however unsuited for fast rides and heavy riders. I ride mine capped to 25km/h for shorter commutes.

On longer commutes I plan taking a tesla. I'm currently modding one to fit a wider tire.

14 hours ago, alcatraz said:

You can put a 2.125in tire in the V8. Have you experimented with tire pressures? Once you find the right tire and tire pressure it's quite manageable.

The V8 is however unsuited for fast rides and heavy riders. I ride mine capped to 25km/h for shorter commutes.

On longer commutes I plan taking a tesla. I'm currently modding one to fit a wider tire.

Hi Alcatraz.   No, unluckily I can't.  If you have the V8 I guess you followed a bit the issue of the rubbing wider tire (the 2.125") on the internal plastic on the older model (mine). 

I read what's happened:  they tried to satisfy the past V8 riders' feedbacks and, I wanna hope, discovered by themselves that  the wider tire version lent more stability to the V8(old one) so at the beginning they just changed my 1,9.."  with the 2,125" Kenda, but they had to give up soon because of the rubbing issue.  

Now it's just arrived, as you surely know, the new V8f ewheel:  few improvements indeed, included (as expected) the wider tire, finally without the  rubbing effect. 

As a newbie who just outgrew a KS-14D in a 100 miles and wants a 16X, I'm glad I started on the 14D. It's light and slow - less chance of injury or accidents. It's also a great last mile commuter. I can't imagine carrying a heavier bigger wheel in and out of the train. The 14D is a keeper for the commute and the quality of the roads will not let me ride too much faster anyways.

• Like 2

On 1/27/2020 at 2:53 AM, Espen R said:

As for winter tire on the XL, I've tried 3 different tires, and one of them was a 2.50-14 cross tire. I had to do a lot of trimming in order for it to fit. Great off-road, but killed all the little fun there is riding on tarmac, and almost dangerous above 30 km/h. An in-between cross/road tire with deeper threads is the dream. The threads on the GW Monster tire looks about perfect to me.

Two of us have been riding XL's up here in Edmonton all winter long with the stock tire. For city riding at least, that's all one needs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Two of us have been riding XL's up here in Edmonton all winter long with the stock tire. For city riding at least, that's all one needs.

Yes, the stock tire works here in Sweden as well, it's only the water on ice scenario that really require studs, but having studs could cure the tight ass syndrome I get when I ride, a bit too fast, on drier ice and polished snow. I would also love deeper threads in muddy conditions. The GW Monster tire looks perfect to me if it came as an 18". I bought 4 tires last summer and fall. A BMX tire that felt way to thin, so I didn't put it on, a 14x2.5 motocross tire, which I had trim for it to fit, great off-road, borderline dangerous on-road, and a KS-18S tire that has a thicker sole that can take studs, but I went for the 2.125 version, and the width together with a thicker sole on the tire made it a bit floaty in high speed turns on tarmac. In the end, I bought a new stock tire, but I’ll probably buy the 2.5 version of the KS-18S tire for next winter if I don’t find anything better. Then I probably need a new outer and inner case as well, because it doesn't like to be taken apart:)

• Like 1

Yay welcome to adventures of EUCs. 

Just curious, how long did it take to feel confident riding the pint (one wheel) for you? 

15 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Yay welcome to adventures of EUCs. 

Just curious, how long did it take to feel confident riding the pint (one wheel) for you? 

With the Onewheel Pint , I felt confident with the control in about 10 minutes. After a half hour I was riding both directions (regular and goofy) carving turns. The key to the Pint (at least for me) was moving my hips. When I accelerate , I don't lean into it,I put my hip forward and stay more centred over the wheel. Same as slowing down. I don't really like going fast on the Pint, I enjoy carving and trying 180's etc. 

I am very big on learning basic fundamentals for what ever activities I have learned. I feel they promote a solid foundation to build upon. For the EUC, from the videos that I have watch ( over and over) I'm going to focus initially on a circle drill where your dominate leg is controlling the wheel while your rotating around your other leg. The other exercise I'm going to focus on is the hoping drill where your going in a straight line, with your other foot pushing off trying to increase the distance over time so your controlling the wheel with one leg, then stepping on and of the pedal with your other foot.. I think this drill is key to learning be in control when starting and stoping. I think the actual riding part will be easier if I get more comfortable in control of the wheel with my dominate leg. 

I am under no illusion that learning this EUC will be easy. I have had lots people say to me when I Kite Hydrofoil "you make that look easy" . The same applies to EUC. The videos I watch , everyone is very accomplished and it looks "easy" . The instructional videos , the teacher makes even the simple drills look easy but the students show the initial difficulty and the challenge that lies ahead. To me learning is about getting the correct information, applying the information and then repetitive practice until it becomes learned . Then , practice some more Lol!

Its going to be so fun to learn this!!!!!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bigwave said:

With the Onewheel Pint , I felt confident with the control in about 10 minutes. After a half hour I was riding both directions (regular and goofy) carving turns. The key to the Pint (at least for me) was moving my hips. When I accelerate , I don't lean into it,I put my hip forward and stay more centred over the wheel. Same as slowing down. I don't really like going fast on the Pint, I enjoy carving and trying 180's etc. 

I am very big on learning basic fundamentals for what ever activities I have learned. I feel they promote a solid foundation to build upon. For the EUC, from the videos that I have watch ( over and over) I'm going to focus initially on a circle drill where your dominate leg is controlling the wheel while your rotating around your other leg. The other exercise I'm going to focus on is the hoping drill where your going in a straight line, with your other foot pushing off trying to increase the distance over time so your controlling the wheel with one leg, then stepping on and of the pedal with your other foot.. I think this drill is key to learning be in control when starting and stoping. I think the actual riding part will be easier if I get more comfortable in control of the wheel with my dominate leg. 

I am under no illusion that learning this EUC will be easy. I have had lots people say to me when I Kite Hydrofoil "you make that look easy" . The same applies to EUC. The videos I watch , everyone is very accomplished and it looks "easy" . The instructional videos , the teacher makes even the simple drills look easy but the students show the initial difficulty and the challenge that lies ahead. To me learning is about getting the correct information, applying the information and then repetitive practice until it becomes learned . Then , practice some more Lol!

It is really fun to learn, even funnier when you get better and an absolute blast when it klicks and becomes an augmented body part. I think your training schedule makes sense, but since this mainly is a subconscious brain thing in the beginning, it is great if you can start in an area where you can ride long stretches as soon as you get on the wheel, because then you give your brain a chance to understand this thing, and then the more technical training becomes easier.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, bigwave said:

your training plan and drills make perfect sense. i found that it was easier to learn than i expected. the drills are much harder as breaking down and dissecting the moves and practicing is tricky at first - moving a little faster is easier at first. don't overthink it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vasuvius said:

your training plan and drills make perfect sense. i found that it was easier to learn than i expected. the drills are much harder as breaking down and dissecting the moves and practicing is tricky at first - moving a little faster is easier at first. don't overthink it.

Thank you for the advice. That is my plan but as Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"...lol . So how many times I fall on my ass the plan could get um...revised...lol. I am excited to start!!!!

• Like 3

On 2/7/2020 at 5:56 PM, bigwave said:

Thank you for the advice. That is my plan but as Mike Tyson said "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth"...lol . So how many times I fall on my ass the plan could get um...revised...lol. I am excited to start!!!!

:roflmao:

ETA for your new wheel? :D

Edited by travsformation

8 hours ago, travsformation said:

:roflmao:

ETA for your new wheel? :D

The wheel is supposed to arrive on Wednesday . The weather is not looking good with a little snow in the forecast. I have not found a good indoor location as of yet to practice . 

I purchased some Flexmeter Wrist guards and they shipped today . Between my motocross gear and hockey equipment I should be able to armour up. Super excited!!!!

• Like 3