Introduction and first wheel advice.

@Mike Sacristan Great and very useful info! And a very concise summary of each wheel's strengths! 

I also feel like the 18XL (2000W motor) is the safest bet and best all-rounder. But the 16X is definitely a blast to ride! I wonder how many of its issues might be fixable with FW updates in the future (just a thought, I don't want to derail a thread containingsuch to-the-point, useful information with a discussion that doesn't belong here). 

I have to admit, I'm surprised the 18XL is ahead of the Nikola in agility. What detracts from its agility? Although I love my 18XL, the 16X is ridiculously agile next to it, so I'm surprised the Nikola isn't right behind it. Shape and width? 

It would seem the OP's best choice is between the 18XL and the Nikola. What strengths does it have that make up for the lack of agility? :)

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 3

Personally I don't think the Nikola is a good wheel for a learner because it's an expensive wheel with a pretty shell, after you've crashed it 20 times on you're first day it's going to look pretty ancient.  The 16X, 18XL, 18L, V10F and MSX are all more likely to still look decent after the inevitable crashes. The V10F also has a cover which protects it well. It's worth getting decent protection for yourself ie helmet, wrist guards and possibly knee pads. Another advantage of these wheels is they have large pedals which is good for those of us with big feet. I'm a bit taller than you, a smidgen younger and a pound heavier - I ride a KS16S and love it but then I'm in a city environment and don't need a huge range. Keep in mind though that most of these wheels weigh about the same as a fully laden suitcase and you'll be picking it up a lot in the first week :)

I put a report in my EUC database that lists the wheels that could be suitable for bigger guys. Though I'd stick with the wheels mentioned by others here but the link does show info on each wheel and allow you to compare different wheels which might help a bit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

The Nikola has a wide tapered shell and the pedals connect with the tapered / slimmer part at the bottom. This will cause us to lose some pedal space because the wider middle pushes us out. It gets worse with the pads because our legs aren't shaped like this ( ). And the pedal angle just makes it even worse because now one third of our foot is hanging off the side of the pedal and we are standing on the outside of the pedal.
This makes the Nikola hard to flop around as our legs/calves end up being in the way and the flopping/tilting is done best with just feet. With the 16X and 18XL it can be done with just feet and we can use 100% of the pedals and juggle the wheel around.

This whole flopping is what allows us to manipulate the wheel between our legs using more or less single legged balance but only using our feet. The 16X has the highest pedals for the wheel size and is easiest to flop around. The pedals also have just the right dihedral. The 18XL pedals are lower and also feel a bit droopy.

The Nikola is faster and has Gotway stiffness as well as a very cushy tyre. It also has the "16 inch" geometry for zippiness on hills.
The 18XL is fast enough for what it is with a very long lasting tyre. It has standard 18 inch geometry and will do hill climbing within those limitations but it still feels very zippy especially on the softer modes. The 18XL requires less intent to get up to speed allowing us to have a more relaxed and upright posture.

I would say they are quite equal with the 18XL being more fun and the Nikola being faster.
The Nikola feels just a little more clumsy between the legs.
Doing off-roading with those wheels would be mostly dependant on the rider so nothing is given for free in that regard.
Riding on asphalt they are quite equal as well.
Speaker wise and light wise also quite equal.

Monika did not like the Nikola the first two times she tried it. Now she loves it.
She did instantly like the 18XL though as do most riders who have tried it.

If I would choose for myself or for her I would get the Nikola 100V because my 16X and MSX are already "50 kmh" wheels and I don't want another slow wheel that will also struggle on hills locking me out of areas that I would want to explore.
I would be extremely tempted to go all in though and get the 2664Wh Nikola form 1Radwerkstatt but I would need to do a range test first.
When we were riding the last stretch to get food Monika was doing a little over 45kmh on the Nikola +. I was on soft tilt-back at 44kmh on the 16X (half battery).
She has done those same speeds on the 16X except "by accident" because the 16X was on soft mode... so not much intent required.

The locked in feeling of the Nikola is advantageous to it's speed though! So everything makes sense. I would just not use the side pads and make my own thin ones.

I'm not sure answers get any better than that! :thumbup:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

If I would choose for myself or for her I would get the Nikola 100V because my 16X and MSX are already "50 kmh" wheels and I don't want another slow wheel that will also struggle on hills locking me out of areas that I would want to explore.
I would be extremely tempted to go all in though and get the 2664Wh Nikola form 1Radwerkstatt but I would need to do a range test first.

I think it's really bad of you to destroy all my hopes for a better wheel in 2020. :furious:
MSP > has finally gone since yesterday! 
So let's continue to hope for the other two Gotway Wheels that will be coming. 

But after I read your post, I woke up from my dream and see us both already on a 100V Nikola. :efee612b4b:
You are probably right, no 18-20" wheel will probably go up the mountain like our 16X. 

The dream that there will be the ultimate wheel for high speed street racing and extreme offroad riding seems to be absolutely unrealistic. 
So one has to decide before the ride, where to go today and which wheel to take.

But then I would wait and see what Gotway will bring to the market in the summer before I would take the Nikola 100V. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed comparisons @Mike Sacristan. Definitely helpful in this MSX vs Nikola decision. You saying the Nikola feels like a cross between the MSX and 16X kinda makes me want to go for the Nikola since I appreciate the qualities of both the MSX and 16X.

So am I understanding correctly that the Nikola is a better climber than the MSX, or is this just Monica's experience?

Also, is there any reasons you would choose the 18650 model over the 21700 for the Nikola?

@Unventor thank you for sharing your learning videos! What was the time frame from the indoor vid to the outdoor ? It looked like you had very good control in the outdoor video.

@Tazarinho I appreciate your insight regarding the 16x . I understand what you mean about the wheel being very smooth/user friendly that it can lull you into a state of maybe over estimating your abilities.

@Harvey Pooka Unfortunately , I live just North of Toronto. I would have for sure taken you up on that offer! Crashing? there's not going to be crashing, is there? lol

@Mike Sacristan Thank you for all the detailed information regarding the wheels. For me, I think the Nikola is out. I'm going to focus on the 18XL and the 16x. A question, why should the XL18 2200W version be avoided? On the eWheels site, it appears to be the only model available . On another note, I really enjoyed your video teaching David how to ride using the 16x. After watching it , I was convinced I needed a 16x!

I found this video review of a 16x on the Tube and it is one of the best I've seen. At 5:50, I really liked the low speed agility of the wheel demonstrated by the rider. As much as the 18XL gets a lot of love here, this is why I think I'm leaning toward a 16x. Thanks everyone for the advice and information!!!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bigwave said:

@Unventor thank you for sharing your learning videos! What was the time frame from the indoor vid to the outdoor ? It looked like you had very good control in the outdoor video.

Well I have medical diagnose of 3 different rhematic issues, so when I started I couldn't balance one 1 leg standing. That is why I pickd up EUC riding. I could only train like 10-15min at a time so I had to wait until next day. It took me like 6-7 training sessions before I went outside. Due to winter weather I had to wait a bit too. I learned on a Inmotion V8, but I felt capped pretty fast so only 3 months later I upgraded to KS18L. I don't recall any adjustment needed in that transsition., but to the KS16X was a very different matter.

This is due to it like to follow line on road markings and reair jobs on asphalt. So to learn how to deal with that and tipping over effect as the tire feels like a mix of U and V shape (kinda like a MC) where the KS18L felt more like [_] (like a car). You can find how I reviewed this in the review section.

These like is not so much for recommending a wheel, but to show the learning process I had when starting to ride and when doing upgrades to next wheel. 

As for KS18L have a look from here on:

So here you see some of my very first steps and questions that came with those. I would not recommend the V8 for an adult today as the business have better choices now for people of your size. Like I said I out grew it too fast. 

• Like 3

I am extremely anti-Kingsong, so my personal advice may be contrary to some of the others in this discussion.

Those who say "31 mph is more than you'll need" don't understand the whole picture.  31 mph is a TOP speed.  Will you hit 31 mph when your battery is low?  Will you hit it when your battery is sagging out of control in cold weather? What about when you're pushing up against a headwind or an incline?  You need to account for ALL conditions, and use the advertised top speed as a ceiling, not a normal operating speed.  With that said, the Nikola will happily sustain a perfectly usable 20 MPH all the way down to ~5% battery.  You can't say that about a Kingsong

I would stay FAR away from anything Kingsong.  They overinflate the reported speed (31 mph in the app is more like 28 in real life), has a tiltback for "safety" (yet these wheels still cut out), has ridability issues that still persist, the speed throttling is extremely aggressive (especially on the 16X).  Considering you like the Nikola Plus 100V, I would definitely skew in that direction.  It's not much of an off-road wheel due to the tire used, but it has great amounts of torque, can hit 40+ mph in optimal conditions, a durable outer shell, more range than you would ever need and a trolley handle.  The handling characteristics of the Nikola are somewhat different from other wheels as accelerating into a turn requires a different technique due to its 16x3 tire.  If I could only own 1 EUC, it would be the Nikola.. 

Which brings me to my next point:

I'd strongly recommend finding a really beat-up used EUC to learn on so you don't thrash your baby while you learn.  You kill two birds with one stone; you have a backup wheel, and isolate most of the learning damage to it so you can enjoy your good wheel to its full potential. Otherwise, do your best to practice only on a matted children's playground to minimize the damage. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 8:18 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

Haha! I know right?

The fastest I have gone on an Nik+ was 59.5kmh on the 1845Wh with the 18650 cells. No beeps. It belongs to my friend Tobbe and his top speed is 62 kmh.
The good thing is that we don't get up to those speed accidentally on the Nik+. You have to lean into it a bit... unlike the 16X on the learning mode where you fart and hit the soft tilt-back at 48kmh.

How much do you weigh?  The Nikola 100V is super easy to push 40 MPH.  I find myself hitting 37+ (60 kmh) without even thinking about it.  The only thing preventing me from exceeding 40 MPH is a fear of cutting out.  Fastest I've gone on the Nikola was 39.7 MPH (a shade under 64 kmh) and I wasn't really trying either; that wheel just wants to keep moving (for better or worse).  

Edited by Ben Kim
  • Like 1

Nikola will happily sustain a perfectly usable 20 MPH all the way down to ~5% battery.  You can't say that about a Kingsong

Actually, you can. The percentage is not comparable, since the voltage ranges are quite different. If you start a ride with a 18XL and a comparable Wh Nikola, both at 100%, by the time the 18XL throttles at 20mph the Nikola has already stopped.

84V Nikola at 5% is about 67V, which on the 18XL is roughly 25%. It has only started throttling at 30%. 100V or 84V doesn’t make much difference to the riding range either.

But after riding both the 16S and the MSX for 10000km each, I can easily see why GW riders have a harder time switching to KS than vice versa. The 2.0 firmware on the 18XL brings it a good bit closer, but the   GW acceleration behaviour or pedal modes are exhilaratingly solid, in a class completely of it’s own. It goes much further in fooling the rider to be standing on a solid object.

• Like 2

I have re read all the posts again and there is some very good advice. @ShanesPlanet that's was a nice read of your experience with the 18L. I'm in the "no doubt" category regarding the learning aspect. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm most excited about challenge of learning how to ride. When I'm watching these videos of the different models I'm actually picturing myself riding them ,thinking is this the wheel that I will be happy with 2 months ,6 months or a year down the road. I notice many have more than one wheel lol, that seed has been planted . I'm already thinking about next one before I have the first one....lol.

@Ben Kim I appreciate your honesty regarding the Kingsong product. The Nikola was/is still on my radar for sure . As I have said, speed is not my initial priority but having power to provide a safety buffer is something that is very important. Your point about the used wheel is well taken. What ever brand/model I pick , crashing is a given and protecting my investment is something that I want to do. Initially , I was wondering about how to protect a Nikola if I went with it because there was no cover available. roll.nz told me they're hoping to have one available in March . I think that and foam and bubble wrap will do the trick for the first couple sessions.

I have been reading a lot on the Kingsong and Gotway in the brand specific forums about the models I'm interested in. I would appreciate someone briefly explaining the Pedal Mode terminology? @mrelwood are the GW pedal modes that much different from the Kingsong?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bigwave said:

@mrelwood are the GW pedal modes that much different from the Kingsong

Let me start by disclamering that I’m sure many especially more peaceful and/or lighter riders don’t see the difference as very huge. And the 2.0 fw for KS definitely narrowed the gap a lot. But... If you ride aggressively, it means you have been forced to learn the wheel behaviour with excruciating detail first for the trust and skill to develop.

Now, this level of detail is not necessary for an average rider, no matter how much one has ridden. But I’d say it is a necessity for aggressive or off-road riding. Which is what I do.

If you ever reach this same combination of circumstances, then yes, there is a clear difference between the pedal firmness and pedal behaviour between GW and KS. But that is still not saying that you couldn’t do the detailed learning on a KS, absolutely not! We have two great local off-road riders riding the 18XL, the other which can literally ride circles around me, backwards.

The original point was that GW riders are probably faster to bash KS riding feel and behaviour, while KS riders bash GW for everyhing else but the firmware behaviour. And I see nothing wrong with that, it just supports the point of GW to KS convertees to be a rare breed.

Aaand... which wheel is overall the best right now? 18XL!! :lol:

But it’s not a race car. The MSX is. 18XL is a very well performing luxury sedan. MSX is a highly tuned, stripped down, non road legal Paris-Dakar race car that allows you to do even stupider things than the sedan does.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Actually, you can. The percentage is not comparable, since the voltage ranges are quite different. If you start a ride with a 18XL and a comparable Wh Nikola, both at 100%, by the time the 18XL throttles at 20mph the Nikola has already stopped.

84V Nikola at 5% is about 67V, which on the 18XL is roughly 25%. It has only started throttling at 30%. 100V or 84V doesn’t make much difference to the riding range either.

But after riding both the 16S and the MSX for 10000km each, I can easily see why GW riders have a harder time switching to KS than vice versa. The 2.0 firmware on the 18XL brings it a good bit closer, but the   GW acceleration behaviour or pedal modes are exhilaratingly solid, in a class completely of it’s own. It goes much further in fooling the rider to be standing on a solid object.

point taken, but i was referencing the aggressive throttling activity of the 16X not the 18XL specifically. With that said, you couldn’t sustain 30 real MPH on any Kingsong, so it’s a tough argument to make regardless because range figures will be skewed due to the speed capability difference of the two wheels  (28 mph  vs 40+ mph)  

I owned a Kingsong, so it’s not like i’m spewing off hatred with no ownership. Especially with the price differences where they are currently, cost should NOT be any consideration when considering a 100V Nikola against a 84V 16X (The OPs two choices). 

2 hours ago, bigwave said:

I have re read all the posts again and there is some very good advice. @ShanesPlanet that's was a nice read of your experience with the 18L. I'm in the "no doubt" category regarding the learning aspect. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm most excited about challenge of learning how to ride. When I'm watching these videos of the different models I'm actually picturing myself riding them ,thinking is this the wheel that I will be happy with 2 months ,6 months or a year down the road. I notice many have more than one wheel lol, that seed has been planted . I'm already thinking about next one before I have the first one....lol.

@Ben Kim I appreciate your honesty regarding the Kingsong product. The Nikola was/is still on my radar for sure . As I have said, speed is not my initial priority but having power to provide a safety buffer is something that is very important. Your point about the used wheel is well taken. What ever brand/model I pick , crashing is a given and protecting my investment is something that I want to do. Initially , I was wondering about how to protect a Nikola if I went with it because there was no cover available. roll.nz told me they're hoping to have one available in March . I think that and foam and bubble wrap will do the trick for the first couple sessions.

I have been reading a lot on the Kingsong and Gotway in the brand specific forums about the models I'm interested in. I would appreciate someone briefly explaining the Pedal Mode terminology? @mrelwood are the GW pedal modes that much different from the Kingsong?

your other option is to set aside $200 for replacement outer shells on a Nikola and beat it to hell and back, at least til you are confident you won’t drop the wheel in user error. 

6 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Let me start by disclamering that I’m sure many especially more peaceful and/or lighter riders don’t see the difference as very huge. And the 2.0 fw for KS definitely narrowed the gap a lot. But... If you ride aggressively, it means you have been forced to learn the wheel behaviour with excruciating detail first for the trust and skill to develop.

Now, this level of detail is not necessary for an average rider, no matter how much one has ridden. But I’d say it is a necessity for aggressive or off-road riding. Which is what I do.

If you ever reach this same combination of circumstances, then yes, there is a clear difference between the pedal firmness and pedal behaviour between GW and KS. But that is still not saying that you couldn’t do the detailed learning on a KS, absolutely not! We have two great local off-road riders riding the 18XL, the other which can literally ride circles around me, backwards.

The original point was that GW riders are probably faster to bash KS riding feel and behaviour, while KS riders bash GW for everyhing else but the firmware behaviour. And I see nothing wrong with that, it just supports the point of GW to KS convertees to be a rare breed.

Aaand... which wheel is overall the best right now? 18XL!! :lol:

But it’s not a race car. The MSX is. 18XL is a very well performing luxury sedan. MSX is a highly tuned, stripped down, non road legal Paris-Dakar race car that allows you to do even stupider things than the sedan does.

With the MS Pro, that argument doesn’t hold water anymore simply because all of the creature comforts that the MSX lacked are now present. With that said, i’m not a fan of the mSuper line. The shell is paper mache, the trolley breaking is a matter of when, not if, and the pedal angle and overall ergonomics are horrible. From a ridability standpoint there is absolutely nothing that an 18XL offers than the MSX can’t do better. (PS: Ive gotten 300+ miles on an 18XL and ~900 on an 18S; i think my argument holds plenty of water). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stephen said:

The 16x is my most used wheel atm, if you don't need speed (30mph) the 16x is the wheel to beat for all-round usage ,plus the battery is amazing and it goes wherever you want it to with little energy😊 so comfortable to ride

I agree it's an extremely versatile wheel, very comfortable and a charm to ride, being as nimble and easy to manoeuvrer as it is. I think it would also make a great wheel to learn on, making the others on the list feel large and clunky in comparison.

My reservations for recommending it as a 1st wheel are throttle-related: I think it could ba dangerous in terms of how effortlessly it reaches 40+ km/h. But that can be solved by setting tiltback to a reasonable speed and configuring alarms. The other issue is that having as much torque as it does, while a more experienced rider will should know when to back off from the throttle, a new rider is at much higher risk of a faceplant (and this wheel doesn't exactly have a perfect track record in that regard…)

Then again, I can't recall reading any reports of sub-40 km/h faceplants on firmware 2.0.

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

If you ever reach this same combination of circumstances, then yes, there is a clear difference between the pedal firmness and pedal behaviour between GW and KS. But that is still not saying that you couldn’t do the detailed learning on a KS, absolutely not! 

I've never done any offloading on a Gotway so I can't compare, but I learned to off-road on the 18XL and I've never encountered any issues--- although I haven't tackled any steep climbs with loose gravel since firmware 2.0, so I'm not sure how the new torque delivery responds in those situations. But again, if it's what you learn on and what you get used to, I don't think KingSong pedal behavior is an issue of any kind for offloading.

2 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

From a ridability standpoint there is absolutely nothing that an 18XL offers than the MSX can’t do better

Comfort? Smoothness? Refinement? Durability? :D

I just think the 18XL is an overall more balanced, refined and versatile wheel, and because of that, a better choice. I'm still voting for the 18XL (but if there were 16X with the legacy 18XL's 2000 W motor, I probably wouldn't hesitate to recommend it)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

With the MS Pro, that argument doesn’t hold water anymore simply because all of the creature comforts that the MSX lacked are now present.

Well, I wouldn’t call this ”all of the creature comforts”:

The shell is paper mache, the trolley breaking is a matter of when, not if, and the pedal angle and overall ergonomics are horrible.

Perhaps we see the terminology a bit differently. I consider ergonomics to be the #1 comfort factor, so I don’t consider the MSPro to be one bit more comfortable. Actually, on the demo models the pedal angle is even much worse than on the MSX.

From a ridability standpoint there is absolutely nothing that an 18XL offers than the MSX can’t do better.

Except the ones you mentioned yourself, pedal angle and comfort. From ridability standpoint I think those are major factors. I would also imagine emergency braking distance being a bit shorter, but that’s just a guess.

After spending a lot of time to take care of the comfort issues on my MSX, it is an absolutely marvellous wheel. But if I was forced to ride stock, I’d go for the 18XL, no question.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Which brings me to my next point:

I'd strongly recommend finding a really beat-up used EUC to learn on so you don't thrash your baby while you learn.  You kill two birds with one stone; you have a backup wheel, and isolate most of the learning damage to it so you can enjoy your good wheel to its full potential. Otherwise, do your best to practice only on a matted children's playground to minimize the damage. 

I don't think that is good adwise. A really beat up wheel could have hidden damage that a new rider is unable to identify.

Also there is enough for a new rider to learn so I can't see a msx with the steep angel on the pedals to help the acking of learning. 

Also as anti KS you are, I have same reservation for GW. 

You might a spped craving, but you should look at what is the info a new rider is consider, in this particular case, speed isn't top priority. 

Some wheel have covers as optional that can be good if you like to keep wheel scratch free as much as possible. But scratched do happen at some point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

I don't think that is good adwise. A really beat up wheel could have hidden damage that a new rider is unable to identify.

Also there is enough for a new rider to learn so I can't see a msx with the steep angel on the pedals to help the acking of learning. 

Also as anti KS you are, I have same reservation for GW. 

You might a spped craving, but you should look at what is the info a new rider is consider, in this particular case, speed isn't top priority. 

Some wheel have covers as optional that can be good if you like to keep wheel scratch free as much as possible. But scratched do happen at some point. 

You missed the point of my argument. it’s NOT the top speed, it’s the headroom. A car with 300 bhp will have better performance at all speeds than a 3 cylinder econobox. 

I could understand if you were privy to Gotways extremely poor QC circa 2017, that’s a fair argument, but even that doesn’t really hold water any longer. Their battery safety and build quality has improved significantly. 

EUCs have basically 1 moving part. They are arguably the most reliable and require the least maintenance of any PEV solution; unless the thing doesn’t power on or balance, it should serve the purpose of learning well.

Why are we talking about the MSX when the OP is asking for opinions on the Nikola and 16X? 

Why ride a Kingsong when it has the potential to be outgrown? Many riders tend use EUCs for real transport eventually even though they initially thought of them to be novelties. future proof yourself and you have the best of both worlds; the ability to use for transport as needed AND still have a ton of fun! 

Edited by Ben Kim

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Well, I wouldn’t call this ”all of the creature comforts”:

Perhaps we see the terminology a bit differently. I consider ergonomics to be the #1 comfort factor, so I don’t consider the MSPro to be one bit more comfortable. Actually, on the demo models the pedal angle is even much worse than on the MSX.

Except the ones you mentioned yourself, pedal angle and comfort. From ridability standpoint I think those are major factors. I would also imagine emergency braking distance being a bit shorter, but that’s just a guess.

After spending a lot of time to take care of the comfort issues on my MSX, it is an absolutely marvellous wheel. But if I was forced to ride stock, I’d go for the 18XL, no question.

The extreme ~45 degree pedal angle on MSpro actually appeared to be a manufacturing defect. evX, one of the youtube influencers mentioned this and received proper pedals which show it to have the same 15 degree angle as the MSX. Not to say it’s still acceptable. 

Kingsongs flat XL pedals actually make it more difficult to maneuver around, it’s just my flat Asian feet which make MSX pedals a chore (and why I don’t own one). 

When you say emergency braking distance is shorter, it sounds like you’ve never actually ridden a Gotway 100V wheel (your statement not true in the slightest). I actually have many miles on Kingsong wheels as stated in my previous post so I am speaking from real world experience. 

Besides, why are we discussing the MSX and 18XL when the OP wanted opinions on the 16X and Nikola? Nikola has a 10 degree pedal angle which I don’t find overly disorienting. 

Edited by Ben Kim
  • Like 1