1st EUC session... Success on the MTen3!

Martog

Thanks for this Marty.
I’ve watched this video now probably a dozen times trying to learn as much as possible from your technique. Your movements are so subtle and smooth, meanwhile my wheel is flopping between my legs like a fish trying to escape.

Part of that is just the need to build up the muscles to stabilize the wheel, but I need to learn to move my leg in against the wheel on the transitions. Between being bow-legged and the small size of the MTen3 I really need to make a concerted effort. And that will be today’s training focus. 

Thanks again. I’m looking forward to my next training session.

Martog

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martog said:

Thanks for this Marty.
I’ve watched this video now probably a dozen times trying to learn as much as possible from your technique. Your movements are so subtle and smooth, meanwhile my wheel is flopping between my legs like a fish trying to escape.

Part of that is just the need to build up the muscles to stabilize the wheel, but I need to learn to move my leg in against the wheel on the transitions. Between being bow-legged and the small size of the MTen3 I really need to make a concerted effort. And that will be today’s training focus. 

Martog

Perhaps join my Telegram group. Depending on where you are located in Southern California, it could be easy to meetup with some of us to get help. Most of us are active between Santa Monica / Azusa and Long Beach.

https://t.me/laeucgamesgrouprides

2 hours ago, Martog said:

Thanks for this Marty.

Martog

Here's another "mount" video for consideration :)

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I've become convinced that the Mten3 may be the best wheel for learning on.

I've been considering adding a Mten to my collection as a beater/stunts/teaching wheel, but I've also heard it's fairly different from all other wheels, in terms of riding. Would the skills translate well to a larger, more normal sized wheel?

4 minutes ago, MeepMoto said:

I've been considering adding a Mten to my collection as a beater/stunts/teaching wheel, but I've also heard it's fairly different from all other wheels, in terms of riding. Would the skills translate well to a larger, more normal sized wheel?

It's like no other wheel, but it's still fundamentally an EUC. Someone I was helping to learn on their V8 was able to ride and do turns on my Mten3 and really enjoyed it. This was a great confidence booster. When she went back to her V8 she still had difficulties, but it was easier.

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Here's another "mount" video for consideration :)

Thanks again Marty. These are great examples- but a bit aspirational for me at this stage!
And thanks for the telegram invite. I’m in San Diego, but hope to help to develop the skills to join one of your rides in the future. 

In the meantime, I’ve got some serious work to do (and am excited to do it)!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Martog said:

Thanks again Marty. These are great examples- but a bit aspirational for me at this stage!
And thanks for the telegram invite. I’m in San Diego, but hope to help to develop the skills to join one of your rides in the future. 

In the meantime, I’ve got some serious work to do (and am excited to do it)!

Ah. For some reason I never think of San Diego as being part of Southern California ;)

Be sure to join the San Diego group, headed by @Flyboy10 They regularly do group rides. Hopefully he'll chime in here.

• Like 1

I will definitely chime in here. Our first ride is Feb 1st. Its 19 miles (not sure if the Mten3 can make it but I have a 14s that will if you want to borrow it) but we will be stopping for many breaks depending on the group. 5 new riders have joined the ranks since the last group ride so we are going to take it easy. Be sure to join the San Diego Facebook page to stay in the loop. If you need/want any in person lessons I'm happy to oblige. 

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Flyboy10 said:

I will definitely chime in here. Our first ride is Feb 1st. Its 19 miles (not sure if the Mten3 can make it but I have a 14s that will if you want to borrow it) but we will be stopping for many breaks depending on the group. 5 new riders have joined the ranks since the last group ride so we are going to take it easy. Be sure to join the San Diego Facebook page to stay in the loop. If you need/want any in person lessons I'm happy to oblige. 

Thanks for the invite and hospitality!

But I don’t think I’ll be ready for a big ride that quickly. I’ve spent less than two hours on my EUC so far and I think going from riding 75 yards to 19 miles in less than 10 days is probably a bit of a stretch! I’ll try to get my skills ready for the next one though.

Thanks again 
Martog

Edited by Martog
Typo
  • Like 1

Not a stretch. I've done 30km at day 3 or about 10h. :) You can do it.
Fatigue is about 80% technique, 20% muscles, so your endurance will also improve dramatically in the next days.

Will your MTen3 manage 30km? Maybe. If you weigh 70kg it's possible.
So train for a group ride, but plan for an Uber 15 miles in, just in case your battery dies. B)

Ps. It's important to drain your battery to zero once to know exactly how much range you can get. Without that you'll always guess. ;)

Edited by atdlzpae

1 hour ago, Martog said:

Thanks for the invite and hospitality!

But I don’t think I’ll be ready for a big ride that quickly. I’ve spent less than two hours on my EUC so far and I think going from riding 75 yards to 19 miles in less than 10 days is probably a bit of a stretch! I’ll try to get my skills ready for the next one though.

Thanks again 
Martog

I would strongly encourage you to at least go to the meetup to meet new riders, perhaps ask questions, etc. Even the potential of riding for a mile or two would be enjoyable.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. You have more faith in my future skills then I do!

I’ll see how the next few days go (family commitments have held me back  so far), and proceed from there.

I like the idea of the meetup just to get introduced to the San Diego community and other riders and their EUCs. I’ve actually never seen any others “in the wild” - even though I know there is an active community down here. 

Thanks again,

Martog

• Like 1