King song 16

I finally received mine and boy is it an incredible machine! :D

But since I'm annoyed by the very loud "Hello King Song!" every time I turn it on (and to increase the max speed :ph34r: ) I tried connecting it to the app. However the app never goes beyond the radar scanning state, meaning it never sees the device. My Nexus 5 does see the two bluetooth devices associated to the wheel (speakers and control) and connecting the speakers works wonderfully and very quickly.

Could someone state with what telephone / bluetooth version they successfully connected and in what order they turned on the wheel / started the app / pressed "Scan"? It would enable me to confirm that I'm not doing anything wrong.

Maybe the scan just takes a very long time? I admit I never gave it more than a minute time before retrying...

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, my KS16 has been delivered yesterday :)

It seems that the android app is buggy one or at least is not compatible with more phones - mine is samsung galaxy 3

The app works for a while, it could be connected only after bluetooth connection is established, the devices are paired & connected and the wheel is fully powered (not partially with the smal BT dedicated button - this works only for the music).

Unfortunately, the app is not stable, shut itself and most of the times do not connects with the wheel. If I deinstall/install the app, then it connects once for sure and after that you never know.

Another problem that I encountered is that I could not manage to remove the speed limit. The King Song Unlocker (https://kingsongunlocker.github.io/) says my ISN Value (from the app KSv3.apk) is not valid. Then I found the Bluetooth MAC address of the KS16 and entered it in the upper field. This time the unlocker generated a code for me but this code failed to unlock the wheel when entered in the app.

One strange thing, I've observed is that when I start normal (no hard leaning) to ride, sometimes the wheel feels week and even warns me "Overpower" which is just for a second and after that goes on normally.

Otherwise, overall the wheel is wonderful, stable, powerful, eyechatching...

A couple others have reported connectivity problems with the new App, KS inform that this is related to new security settings in Android 6. There are two ways to make it work:

1) Connect to the Wheel with the old App first, then open the KSv3
2) Change the security setting to allow the KSv3 App to use the BT module

I believe this problem stems from the fact that the App is not using the Android BT stack to communicate with the device (as it should, according to Google best-practice) but is interfacing with the Wheel directly.

KS App Connectivity.jpg

45 minutes ago, DS said:

The King Song Unlocker (https://kingsongunlocker.github.io/) says my ISN Value (from the app KSv3.apk) is not valid

Can you send me the ISN? 

1 hour ago, DS said:

Another problem that I encountered is that I could not manage to remove the speed limit. The King Song Unlocker (https://kingsongunlocker.github.io/) says my ISN Value (from the app KSv3.apk) is not valid.

Happened to me first try. But then I found the solution: You have to put the ISN number on the unlocker without typing the ( : ) nor the ( - ) so in other words, input only numbers. If you do a copy/paste, then the code will not be valid! It has to be manually typed like this example: 1234567890 (no dots, no dashes). It should unlock after that no problem.

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Connect to the Wheel with the old App first, then open the KSv3

That worked for me. Somehow the old app connects easier. My android is ver.4.3

Now, if the new app does not connect, I first use the old one.

2 hours ago, edwin_rm said:

You have to put the ISN number on the unlocker without typing the ( : )

Worked as a charm :)

Thank you guys both for your precious help :rolleyes:

Got my KS16 on Thursday, loving it - such a solid machine! I'm glad my 2 hour determination of finding the old app / new app combo method is helping others! 

My KS16 is on firmware version 1.15 and the update firmware screen (in the new app) only says that my current firmware is 1.15 and I have no option to download 1.19. (or anything about downloading anything else)

Are you guys seeing the newer firmware or are you still on 1.15?

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

My KS16 is on firmware version 1.15 and the update firmware screen (in the new app) only says that my current firmware is 1.15

Same here but I'm unwilling to upgrade the firmware for now. There was a report that after the upgrade the wheel refused to turn on. This could be a reason we do not see upgrades...probably.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

I'm glad my 2 hour determination of finding the old app / new app combo method is helping others! 

Yes! Thanks :)

5 hours ago, edwin_rm said:

Happened to me first try. But then I found the solution: You have to put the ISN number on the unlocker without typing the ( : ) nor the ( - ) so in other words, input only numbers. If you do a copy/paste, then the code will not be valid! It has to be manually typed like this example: 1234567890 (no dots, no dashes). It should unlock after that no problem.

Hmm oddly enough I could only get mine to unlock by using the : symbol for example 12:34:AB:56:78 and input in to unlocker  78:56:AB:34:12 which gave me my code,entered that into the iOS app and unlocked.I also saw someone else who said not to use the letters but like I said that's how I did mine,luck,fluke,I don't know as long as it works ?

6 minutes ago, Homer69uk said:

entered that into the iOS app

We were talking Android I believe...at least me ;)...but should not matter actually

Still strange enough since there is different output from the Unlocker page with or without columns :huh:

31 minutes ago, Homer69uk said:

Ahh maybe I'm getting confused I was talking about the unlocker using the : which I believe it's the same Java based app http://kingsongunlocker.github.io/(? No?) the code that's produced is then entered into either of the apps andriod or iOS 

Not you, I got confused that Android or iOS matters. Not in this case IMO.

Yes, the same Java based page and still odd enough that sometimes generates code when you enter only numbers in ISN value field and sometimes as you stated accepts columns between the digits in that same field.

8 hours ago, DS said:

his time the unlocker generated a code for me but this code failed to unlock the wheel when entered in the app.

Hm, it initially didn't work for me, I had to put the ISN value in directly. I've opened an issue and will fix it tomorrow, sorry for the confusion, I couldn't test it until now myself... :D

7 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

This worked for me, thank you very much! New app now also connects, voice could be turned off, finally! I'm a very happy owner! B)

On 5/21/2016 at 6:29 PM, Jason McNeil said:

A couple others have reported connectivity problems with the new App, KS inform that this is related to new security settings in Android 6. There are two ways to make it work:

I believe this problem stems from the fact that the App is not using the Android BT stack to communicate with the device (as it should, according to Google best-practice) but is interfacing with the Wheel directly.

Hi, 

I got my KS16 today at last, and it has been a blast riding it! 

But as others, I can't pair my phone to the wheel using KSv3 at all. I have Honor 6 with Android 6, but I can't add more permissions for apps, I can only switch them on or off. At the moment only permission KSv3 is asking is saving space. Also I can't add apps to the location permission tab, there simply aren't any option to do that. The older app seems to work without any hassle.  

However I managed to turn the voices off and unlock the wheel with my girlfriends Lenovo pad but the firmware is 1.15 and no upgrades visible. I hope Kingsong is already working to release android 6 compatible app. 

1 hour ago, dside said:

but the firmware is 1.15 and no upgrades visible

Same for me, but until we can be sure that 1.19 doesn't lock up the wheel I wouldn't even upgrade if it were available. Admittedly the changelog seems to have some nice to haves. Can anyone confirm / deny that you can update to only a specific version of the firmware, say 1.18?

43 minutes ago, xamino said:

Can anyone confirm / deny that you can update to only a specific version of the firmware, say 1.18?

If you update to 1.19, it will actually be 1.18 (there is a display error on the app). I have 1.18, which I got by updating from 1.15 to 1.19 (i know it doesn't make sense)

On a good note, I am happy I am not the only one to not be able to upgrade the firmware!

I got mine last Thursday and after the long mission to find the process to get the KSv3 to connect (android user) to get that voice turned off, I saw that I had the option to upgrade to 1.19, but as you say since the upgrade / faceplant stories I didn't feel the need to have a scraped chin so I didn't upgrade and went to bed.

Friday, I spoke to Jason and he advised to download it but make sure it's the B version. So i connected it back up and the download option has gone. Strange how it disappeared in the space of 24 hours but glad that it does have the capability to upgrade when / if it is available.

Maybe taken down to fix the issue of a "fake version number" as @edwin_rm says?

By looking inside the Android APK file from Kingsong you find the URL it looks for updates:

http://apkdomain.duapp.com/kingsong/versions.json

Since some days you get an HTTP status code 404. So it looks like they disabled updates by deleting the versions.json or they set the wrong file permission that it can't be displayed for public users and the app also. 

On 5/21/2016 at 5:28 PM, Homer69uk said:

Ahh maybe I'm getting confused I was talking about the unlocker using the : which I believe it's the same Java based app http://kingsongunlocker.github.io/(? No?) the code that's produced is then entered into either of the apps andriod or iOS 

The math is the same, not the code.

Can someone upload or private message me the Android .apk?

17 minutes ago, CSERNA said:

"Speed Limit Decoding" , Can any body help me with this?. In the app it is needed to write a "Code for autorization".

How can I get this code??

Archived