Any Custom Cutout switch?

Sebrios

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has done a Cutout Switch to be able to lift the MSX without spinning.

I was thinking about doing one, with a mechanical contact (Normaly closed) between a wire of the motor. (bridge)

Main concern is the amount of Amps that go thru it, 

Any ideas? Anyone has done it before?

I've done it and it works great on my MSX. I should do a detailed post on my mod, but just haven't had time.

There are no amps that go through it. It's a simple normally open contact switch. When you close it, it sends a signal to the board that the switch is On, so the board knows to kill the power to the motor. So, switch on = motor off, hence the name Motor Cut Off switch. The wheel can still turn if moved, but it doesn't balance and doesn't idle normally. When you lift it, it doesn't take off and works as expected. Lights, bluetooth connection, everything else works as before, just no power to the motor. Pressing the switch again, immediately re-engages the motor.

As @mike_bike_kite points out with the linked post above, there are other threads that go into detail about this, but I have a few thought of my own from my experience.

Three things to note about the implementation.

1) I was concerned at first that if I bumped the switch, that I could kill the motor which would unceremoniously or in some cases dangerously dump me off the wheel. However, closing the switch is not effective if the wheel is spinning. It waits until it stops and then engages the motor stop function. That should ease your mind about cut outs while riding.

2) Momentary vs Toggle On/Off - There are two types of switches which can be used for this and both work. If you want to press the button and continue to hold it down until you want it back on again, then this is the way to go. If the switch is right by the thumb or using the under handle style mount, it's feasible, but IMHO harder to do. I much prefer a toggle on/off switch where you can see if the switch is on or off by the level of depression on the switch. You can press it and then lift the wheel over a barrier or carry it up or down steps without worries. You just need to remember to press it again to engage (which is easy because it won't go anywhere until you do). 

3) You can put the switch where ever is convenient. The new MXPro placed it exactly where I put mine. I believe this is because there is a gap within the shell that makes it easy to put there. You don't have to mess with the charger or USB port. It's a no-brainer. Some have described putting the switch under the handle like the Monster. There are complexities with this location as the shell is split down the middle so you have to make the hole across both halves. Mounting it then can be very challenging and every time you open it up you will have to deal with that. The additional head aches with that split location makes it a non-starter for me. I like it right by the right thumb. 

MSX-switch.jpg

The second switch I have there is for a Bluetooth speaker Mod. But that is another story/post all together...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx guys. This Mod worked Perfectly.. Mad cheap, and the most usefull thing ever!!!

Button placement also seems perfect... Now I understand why the MSP has it in the same place..

Now, looking forward to adding the BT Speaker @ZenRyder ? maybe a hint?

Boton_Msx_Mod.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sebrios said:

Thanx guys. This Mod worked Perfectly.. Mad cheap, and the most usefull thing ever!!!

Button placement also seems perfect... Now I understand why the MSP has it in the same place..

Now, looking forward to adding the BT Speaker @ZenRyder ? maybe a hint?

Nice. Yes the placement is perfect. I agree that under the handle would be preferred, but logistically it's much harder to do unless it's built into the case. Did you go with the Momentary or Toggle On/Off?

Can you put in the link to the switch you used? It might help somebody. This is the one I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075YV8KTG/

I will take some Speaker Mod photos this week and post them.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would invest in a quality switch for this purpose.

Why?

Imagine you are riding at 50km/h and a low quality switch suddenly shorts.....

Instant face plant, to save a dollar or two. 

Just saying, be careful and save money on the right things :)

same thing goes for placement, especially with a latch switch. Dont place it where ot can be accidentally triggered when riding.

Edited by Boogieman