Jump to content
seage

What do you look for in an EUC Youtube Channel?

Recommended Posts

On 1/21/2020 at 7:22 AM, seage said:

 I feel like theres a path down the center. I'm not trying to make a series showing action highlights of all the top EUC riders in the world. I kinda want to tell a story and make an experience.

I have a series planned where the EUC kinda gets me places, but isnt the main point, but in the one im asking about here, Its kinda part of the story. Its a major focus, but not so much in a traditional way. I think we've seen that in other fields, but not in an area like EUC's because we're so new. Well, i think we're kind of at a point where I'm going to have to show, not tell. And i dont think im going to do a good job my first time around, haha. But hey, if you can spare some of that attention for me XD.

But yeah, main point, i think you hit the nail on the head there with your comment about being unique and charismatic. I think thats always been the angle ive tried to go, but then placed the focus on something. I had an art youtube channel, and it  immediately turned into a series where I talked about mental health. The art really wasnt necessary. Since then, i've tried to find a balance between art/imagery and the story and message I wanted to portray. I wanted to film and make cool stuff, but i also wanted art to not just be a background element. It came to a head when I made this: 

Im going to try hard to NOT illustrate for every video I do, lmfao. Thats too much work. But I would like to be creative with this and take a fun approach that hopefully everyone will enjoy, even if its a little different from the better/ more informative, more group ride/park based channels. 

I completely agree with your approach, Seage. We're all different and have different skill sets and talents, and that diversity is what brings about interesting and unique content. Everyone should focus on what they're best at, and as you said, go for it!

By the way, I really enjoyed your video! You have good storytelling skills, so those should definitely be the heart of your channel. You also have a good "narrator voice", I think you should put it to good use! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 10:10 PM, seage said:

I think my skills are kinda funny. They're total opposites. I'm really good at speaking. Especially in the form of conversation. And im also good at picking up sound, like ambient noises. Like you find in ASMR. So basically, no talking LOL. I like to do funny rants, so i'm not mad, but i get kinda jokingly heated. And so on. Planning to play within this zone. I do know where I'm weak. And that is the technical side. Don't ask me about batteries and how the motors work and how to create a custom motherboard. But I think I know how to humanize these wheels. Im pretty good at lowering peoples defenses in one on one conversations. Wow, ew...I never want to speak kindly about myself again. 

I would watch this. I like to go cruise around and soak in the city and nature.

I wonder, how would you capture ambient sound while riding? It feel wind would make that tricky, unless you are riding < 15mph

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, brockj said:

I would watch this. I like to go cruise around and soak in the city and nature.

I wonder, how would you capture ambient sound while riding? It feel wind would make that tricky, unless you are riding < 15mph

Search on Google "How to make a dead cat" If you are using a Gopro you can also get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OJFJPF8/  You will find several videos on youtube where folks make their own or buy deadcats and do before and after comparisons.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, brockj said:

I would watch this. I like to go cruise around and soak in the city and nature.

I wonder, how would you capture ambient sound while riding? It feel wind would make that tricky, unless you are riding < 15mph

 

I've already done it. As @rainystateguy stated, i have a cover for my gopro. I am planning to make a custom binaural setup mounted on my bag but that'll be a spring project. 

If you listen to the sound here, you'll hear it. It works pretty well

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 10:51 PM, rainystateguy said:

That was one of the most incredible videos I have ever seen in my 73 years on this earth. You are incredibly talented, Sir. I look forward to seeing more of your work...And you have mastered riding an EUC?  This beginning rider is so in awe.

Thank yo so much. Reading that made me feel so humbled. 

I haven't mastered it. Which is great, theres always something new to learn on the EUC. I can't ride backwards yet and only just started riding down stairs and so on. Theres lots for me to learn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW guys, thread moved to the brand-new "video-making and gear" section :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I easily could, and hope to, watch hours of your video productions.  JOB WELL DONE!  Interesting subject :thumbup:, Coherent and entertaining story telling skills, :thumbup:, Well edited :thumbup:, great audio editing and mixing :thumbup:,  Keep this up and I expect that you will soon rank among the big dogs of the EUC video making world.  Congrats!   And a special big thumbs up to your Pops!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, seage said:

Not to necro another old thread, but im necroing another old thread. I wanted to share the first attempt at using my skillset to make a video. This is after taking the advice from this thread and applying it to what I feel I can do best. I still think im closest to @Hsiang's world with how I did it, but just much less polished. I have a lot to learn and I need to shoot to edit more so theres less running around. Make the edit more efficient. 

 

Great stuff, really like the format! Looks like you've found your style! Congrats! I like that it's very empathetic and personal, not just limited to EUCs but tells a story and one we can all relate to (our the sentiment, at least). Very engaging, watched it from beginning to end with no urge to fast-forward like I get with a lot of videos out there. And good editing and production quality! 👍

Looking forward to the next video! Subscribed so I don't miss it! 

And congrats to your dad for his awesome progress. Would he be open to an interview sometime in the future? Getting the learning experience from his perspective would make for a good video! 😊

So cool you guys get to share this hobby/passion and bond in the process! 🍻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rainystateguy said:

I easily could, and hope to, watch hours of your video productions.  JOB WELL DONE!  Interesting subject :thumbup:, Coherent and entertaining story telling skills, :thumbup:, Well edited :thumbup:, great audio editing and mixing :thumbup:,  Keep this up and I expect that you will soon rank among the big dogs of the EUC video making world.  Congrats!   And a special big thumbs up to your Pops!

Aw man, thank you so much for this comment! There is more coming. I recorded a few narration files that just need to be edited and have the footage added to it. So it's all about the visuals now. The ideas just flow so its not bad XD. I appreciate you so much, and damn, thats a huge compliment! I hope I can be up there with them. I admire all the EUC youtube greats and would love to create content that moves people like they do. And thanks! I'll let him know about all the support and praise hes getting, haha. 

 

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

Great stuff, really like the format! Looks like you've found your style! Congrats! I like that it's very empathetic and personal, not just limited to EUCs but tells a story and one we can all relate to (our the sentiment, at least). Very engaging, watched it from beginning to end with no urge to fast-forward like I get with a lot of videos out there. And good editing and production quality! 👍

Looking forward to the next video! Subscribed so I don't miss it! 

I did! I was sitting on it for a while there, just trying to figure out if it was right, but I realized I just had to try it and stop wasting time as I normally do. Im really happy with how it came out in the end. But thank you so much! I now need to learn how to edit FASTER haha. I know I'll get better and faster with practice!

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

And congrats to your dad for his awesome progress. Would he be open to an interview sometime in the future? Getting the learning experience from his perspective would make for a good video! 😊

So cool you guys get to share this hobby/passion and bond in the process! 🍻

Thanks for this. Hes doing so so well. I'll ask him, but im sure he'd be down to share his experiences so far. I just need to think how to format it. It really is awesome to share it with him! Once he gets his wheel, i can finally ride with him and my brother. My sister is planning to get a wheel too, so it'll be a family thing (minus my mum due to her knees :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 2:39 AM, seage said:

 I recorded a few narration files that just need to be edited and have the footage added to it. So it's all about the visuals now. The ideas just flow so its not bad XD.

Cool workflow! I like the idea of having the narration and then adding the images to match! Sure beats my jumbled mess of a work-(non)flow!

On 5/22/2020 at 2:39 AM, seage said:

I did! I was sitting on it for a while there, just trying to figure out if it was right, but I realized I just had to try it and stop wasting time as I normally do. Im really happy with how it came out in the end. But thank you so much! I now need to learn how to edit FASTER haha. I know I'll get better and faster with practice!

You knew your voice and storytelling skills were an asset, I guess it was a matter of finding the right format. Having non-euc themes thrown in the mix, driving the video makes for a very nice and welcome change. About editing faster...oh, how I get you! Add 360 frecapture to the mix, a touch of ADHD and a touch of OCD...I'm surprised my laptop hasn't been thrown out the window yet :roflmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2020 at 2:39 AM, seage said:

I'll ask him, but im sure he'd be down to share his experiences so far. I just need to think how to format it. It really is awesome to share it with him! Once he gets his wheel, i can finally ride with him and my brother. My sister is planning to get a wheel too, so it'll be a family thing (minus my mum due to her knees :(

Opps, forgot to reply to your second comment. Yeah, that would be awesome if he's up for it! But you'd better do it now before he gets cocky and tries to steal all the glory! :efee612b4b:

Man, an entire EUCing family would be great! What kind of PEV can you get your mom so she can join in on the fun? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, travsformation said:

Cool workflow! I like the idea of having the narration and then adding the images to match! Sure beats my jumbled mess of a work-(non)flow!

Its just what suits me, since I'm a talker. But if you have another way that fits your personality, for sure go for that. Like Tishawn said he finds a song, then does his edits to that. I also enjoy cuts, but i dont like transition edits, so i just do in camera nonsense rather than effects, but others enjoy those fade and all that stuff. Gotta find what speaks to you.

7 hours ago, travsformation said:

You knew your voice and storytelling skills were an asset, I guess it was a matter of finding the right format. Having non-euc themes thrown in the mix, driving the video makes for a very nice and welcome change. About editing faster...oh, how I get you! Add 360 frecapture to the mix, a touch of ADHD and a touch of OCD...I'm surprised my laptop hasn't been thrown out the window yet :roflmao:

Ive made videos for my art in the past. I have another youtube channel that had a series I would narrate years back. I just didnt think it would translate here well, so its been kinda amazing to see that it has! But yep. Just gotta find that thing. I kind of want a 360, but Im actually looking more into using a DSLR, insuring it and then shooting HD footage instead. I enjoy my gopro, but I really want to get some high quality shots too.

6 hours ago, travsformation said:

Opps, forgot to reply to your second comment. Yeah, that would be awesome if he's up for it! But you'd better do it now before he gets cocky and tries to steal all the glory! :efee612b4b:

Man, an entire EUCing family would be great! What kind of PEV can you get your mom so she can join in on the fun? 

Haha, Ive been thinking about getting her a scooter (with suspension and stuff) so she can join. I dont think her knees would like an EUC. Also i cant imagine her falling. But a scooter and some slow offroad trails with a softer floor, might work.

 

5 hours ago, travsformation said:

BTW, as to myself...I'm still seeking my own style and haven't quite found it yet. I'm gradually learning the tools of the trade, playing around with them and sharing the results with no expectations other than to get feedback on what's lacking and what can be improved.  For now I've played around with Insta360 overcapture and greatly enjoy the camera work, shooting to edit, etc. (I'm more the silent, behind-the-camera type of person), which is very entertaining (and time-consuming); the next step is to learn to fly the drone...I adore the kind of footage they can capture because my main focus is on the landscape, so expect a steady flow of amateur drone footage in the near future. :whistling:  

For what ive done for art, i've broken it into a few pieces. Its, what I love in others work, and what I love about myself/what i do. So, say for videos, I love Casey Neistat, Peter Mckinnon, Hsiang, Tishawn, Lock Prod. Those are styles that I look at and really enjoy. Since I know this, theres already kinda a realm my videos would be floating in. Also, I can create a bit of a mood board showcasing the styles i enjoy. Then I look at what i like and what i do. So i like to narrate. I love the vocal aspect and also i really enjoy finding life lessons in all areas and expressing passions with analogies (that i then explore with art usually). And i enjoy shooting for interesting transitions. So now, mixing those together will help give me at least a starting point for my videos and then from there its just applying everything, and as you continue you will grow with your style. The one thing I see a lot of people do is they get too hung up on practice and learning the ins and outs of their tools. Your tools arent going anywhere. They'll stay the same, but you'll get better faster if you apply them to your projects in a meaningful way. Just gotta get creative and think outside of the box a little. 

 

5 hours ago, travsformation said:

But still, a nice landscape, creative camera work and a soundtrack don't make for an engaging video (or at least past the first 30"). I'm quite aware I need to add a backbone to the mix to hold it all together and make it interesting, be it some form of story-telling  (visual, voice-over, etc.),  or at least a mildly interesting rant, but I'm camera-shy, have a tone of voice that could put a coke-head to sleep and don't have the spontaneous and entertaining wit of @Mike Sacristan or the new trouble-maker on the block, @ShanesPlanet ;)

So for now, I reckon I'll just go wherever it takes me and hope my audiovisual experiments don't put off too man potential viewers before before I find MY STYLE:efee612b4b:

Which, ironically, comes to me quite naturally when I quit overthinking shit and taking myself too seriously... :efef2e0fff:

You never know, mate. People have told me my voice can be quite relaxing. So i've taken advantage of that. Ive done zen, calming videos, and ive done amped up and i plan to bring both sides to EUC content. Take advantage of all of your natural gifts and tools. We're all camera shy at first. It took me a long long time, but i finally can record without fear. BUT. If the camera freaks you out, you dont have to be on it. I recorded all my audios on my Zoom H5 recorder. Pacing my basement. Felt super comfortable and it was easy. No camera to act for. Find your flow. A good thing that ive done for years is recording voice notes in my phone all the time. I  rarely listen to them back. Its just to get into the habit of making it more natural. 

 

Anyways, hope some of my unsolicited advice helped! Im no pro at this, but my experience is crossed from my actual career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Haha, Ive been thinking about getting her a scooter (with suspension and stuff) so she can join. I dont think her knees would like an EUC. Also i cant imagine her falling. But a scooter and some slow offroad trails with a softer floor, might work.

You might also consider getting her an e-bike as her first PEV.  I bought one last Fall and that was the start of my journey into getting back into shape, losing 30 pounds and then  discovering EUCs.  I bought myself a fat tire bike which turned out to be a great choice as it can easily travel over just about any surface. I bought  this model.  After watching my experience my sister and her husband also bought e-bikes from an outfit called Rad Power Bikes.  Rad makes some really nice bikes.  Anyway, just a suggestion, if you think it might work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who has watched almost everything from almost every country I will give you some ideas about what pull me in. 

interesting dialogue or narration:

talking in general about personal or public news, interesting sites/sights along the ride. Knowledge about recent events in the euc world along with a personal viewpoint on the subject. 

Showing off or practice sessions:

your skill will draw in viewers looking to up their abilities and anyone will watch someone else hurt themselves In the advancement of their craft. A brief explanation of your attempt, and a breakdown of your experience is all that is needed from a voice/text overlay. 

testing:

testing out new or old ideas, gadgets, wheels, or even trails. The idea of new, either for yourself or as a new product is always interesting. Gear reviews right on down to your shoes can draw in new viewers to see your take on things. 
 

the key to success is to keep your audience involved with what you are doing. A ten minute video of you riding in a straight line will always be boring, but if you chat along the way people become engaged in what you are saying and are more likely to come back for the next story.
Good microphone is essential while riding to pull this off. 
best of luck to any that venture into the YouTube arena. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rainystateguy said:

You might also consider getting her an e-bike as her first PEV.  I bought one last Fall and that was the start of my journey into getting back into shape, losing 30 pounds and then  discovering EUCs.  I bought myself a fat tire bike which turned out to be a great choice as it can easily travel over just about any surface. I bought  this model.  After watching my experience my sister and her husband also bought e-bikes from an outfit called Rad Power Bikes.  Rad makes some really nice bikes.  Anyway, just a suggestion, if you think it might work.

Thank you! This is fantastic. I dont know why i didnt even think of a bike... I see them allll the time too... But yeah, one with a thiccer tire might be good! Im so used to seeing the more hardcore ones, but this is really comfortable looking. She loves cycling, but of course, keeping up with my dad on the wheel isnt really an option. We'll ride slow, but of course she's huffin pretty early. But pedal assist would really alleviate that and allow her to cruise up the deadly hills in the neighborhoods she likes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I look in EUC channels are lovely surroundings, more shots that include the places rather than the EUC itself unless the path is tricky and hard. EUC's can give this amazing perspective of silently floating just above the road, without any other visual hindrances.

I would love to see someone take an EUC to offbeat remote places such as Mongolia, camping at places then exploring around.  

 

My top favorite channels are

ElectricUnicycles  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQeDQAr2JgTSSujXThdlWxg Peaceful rides where I can take in the beautiful surroundings, non aggressive riding style.

chooch tech  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFeDZyrD6D5AjG1KSO9NLVQ  Love the surroundings he rides in, awesome music selection.

Hsiang  https://www.youtube.com/user/OWGAC   Love the content, Funniest in the bunch, Hate the audio quality, inaudible sometimes because of wind noise/mic placement.

Dennis Hagov https://www.youtube.com/user/TheHagov  Honest informative.

Kuji Rolls https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfsmUHp1lI4s_8qpMJwF6ng For the skills.

Speedy Feet UK  https://www.youtube.com/user/SpeedyFeetUK Good content, but time between uploads are very long. 

EUCO - Electric Unicycle Collective https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4sg7oT7JNd8i5omFK_x-Kw For tear downs and disassembling

 

Stopped watching EVX because of the click bait titles, The best artistic visuals though.

Alien Rides is good but less EUC content

And thanks to this thread I got a lot more channels to spend my time on.

 

Ps. Some of you might like these popular channels, fullychargedshow, DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse, JerryRigEverything.

Also, check these guys for some amazing footage in the Himalayas. Ronnie & Barty  https://www.youtube.com/user/THERONNIEVOX

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...