Anyone build straps so that you can tie your feet down to the pedals?

mathishard

On 1/17/2020 at 10:17 PM, RockyTop said:

Some people use thick pads that somewhat trap your feet and legs. As you get better wheel control should get better and you feet should not leave the pedals as easy.

I'm going to agree with @RockyTop on this one. Pads let you hold onto the wheel, but you can also bail if you have to. Kuji has a video on how to make your own. He uses them to jump as well.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, seage said:

Lol. Just put jump pads on the wheel. Like kuji or those winglets or custom ones like I have (i'll take a picture later if anyone cares). Then if you fall, you can still step off the wheel. Not get caught. What you really need is good grip tape and something to stop you from bouncing too far forwards or  backwards. But you'd need a super strong magnet to lock your shoes into the pedals. And i dont know how much the internals would like such a strong magnet when the pedals are up. 

It was just a suggestion, and you will never know if it works if you haven't tried it yet. It might just be revolutionary! :D 

• 3 weeks later...

Please do not attempt this. Get some pads or even better, make your own to fit around your feet and ankles. Kuji for example crudely cuts out large pieces of foam and sticks them to his wheels these days. Maybe you can look closely at his recent videos. Not pretty, but superbly effective. IMG-20200617-WA0021.thumb.jpeg.9b57040e1c8abded3472d17cac870c37.jpeg

My own set-up here takes alot of time to build, but it is worth it for me as I spent 90% of wheeling time on the 16x. Can assure you that after going down 5 steep flights of stairs at once, flying over tabletops, slamming into curbs with bad timing, doing drops so high that I now have flat spots on my rims, that a setup like this is as secure wou will ever need. Never once had any slippage, yet I can release my legs whenever I want. 

• Like 3

On 6/23/2020 at 8:14 PM, sCar said:

These pads seems to be more fitting, anyone who has tried these or see any disadvantages compared to kuji pads? 

Kuji uses pads like these nowadays. The only drawback is depending on how they are designed, you may not be able to close your pedals. No problem with mine though.

On 7/17/2020 at 8:48 AM, esaj said:

Anyone else notice that @mathishard hasn't visited the forums since March? ;)

maybe tied his feet to an euc and crashed into a lake... this is an absolutely terrible idea lol

24 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

Kuji uses pads like these nowadays. The only drawback is depending on how they are designed, you may not be able to close your pedals. No problem with mine though.

that and they are ugly as sin :P

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

that and they are ugly as sin :P

That too.. haha. 

Guess when you have to make that many pads for all your wheels you eventually give up on aesthetics. My workaround is baby safe velcro so I can just make just one set of decent looking pads and then use them on any of my wheels.

Riding them pad-less still feels good as the diaper velcro I use is smooth and velvety rather than coarse and spiky

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 1:56 PM, Rehab1 said:

I should have added ‘spikes’ to my post as they actually caused my injury. The low profile shoe studs you have depicted would probably be ok but I still prefer my course pedal grip tape.

Personally I like to shift my feet while riding so any form of pedal stud/strap/quick release method would impede that opportunity as well. 

What do you think about hextech/nylonove pedals with spikes? Can you tell more about how the spikes caused your injury?

On 7/19/2020 at 12:01 PM, Tinkererboi said:

My own set-up here

Can you post some more pictures? It's a little hard to see in that one shot.

I think magnets in the shoe are a good idea to get back to your preferred alignment quickly.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was thinking electro magnets in the pedals and a metal plate on a shoe. Electro magnets w 10-20kg holding strength are just $10 on Amazon. For safety, maybe a sensor installed that puts the kill switch on the magnet when the wheel is at a certain angle. To activate the magnet, I was thinking a switch on the power pad a when rider is leaning forward and with a slight squeeze on the body.

I was thinking electro magnets in the pedals and a metal plate on a shoe. Electro magnets w 10-20kg holding strength are just $10 on Amazon. For safety, maybe a sensor installed that puts the kill switch on the magnet when the wheel is at a certain angle. To activate the magnet, I was thinking a switch on the power pad a when rider is leaning forward and with a slight squeeze on the body.

14 minutes ago, Kekafuch said:

I was thinking electro magnets in the pedals.

You just die or end up mutilated or paralyzed and dependent on help for the rest of your life maybe it will make you disabled.
Watch this video I'm on it, can you imagine that in this situation you are in any way attached to the EUC

Spoiler

Never tie the wheel to Your legs.

Use nylon pedals with pins - works well in all kinds of weather.

For better grip and control over the wheel - use power pads like those below:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lukasz said:

Never tie the wheel to Your legs.

Use nylon pedals with pins - works well in all kinds of weather.

For better grip and control over the wheel - use power pads like those below:

100% yes!  

Definitely do not tie yourself to your wheel, that would be inviting serious injury.

There are aftermarket pedals that offer better grip, plenty of good options available.

There are various pads available that help put you legs in the right position every time, give better leverage to improve braking and accelerating and allow grip for jumping (if that is something you want) while not completely locking you onto the wheel.  My wheel is 27kg and that is a significant weight to be tied to in a crash - very much a bad idea to be physically secured to that wheel if anything goes wrong!

When I started out riding about a year and a half ago I also had and experimental phase in pedal and shoe department. 

It was only after I’ve been riding for a few months and I guess I was trying to find a way to help me feel more secure on the wheel.

I tried a number of things: 

-I glued  magnets on to the souls of my shoes on onto the pedals 

-I experimented with Velcro straps which I took off my fixed gear bike

-I even tried putting Velcro on the souls of my shoes and on the base of the pedal..... that did not go well 😆 

after all this messing around I realised the importance of being able to move your foot to make micro adjustments. 

These days I ride for extremely long distances for long periods of time and I started to make deliveries by EUC a full-time job during the pandemic.

I noticed that I was getting foot cramps for the first time in months on the first day that the temperature dropped below zero. The reason for this was that I was not move my feet around so much because I was trying to just go in a straight line rather than carve. 

After all of this messing around and having gained some experience, The best solution I have found is to use spikes pedals or spikes pedal inserts combined with small wedge of some kind attached just above my foot to keep them in place. 

I have opted to use wedges rather than blocks so I can lift my heels when I turn and the wedges secure my feet the more I lift my heel. They also worked pretty well to jump the wheel over potholes such without having to sacrifice any agility by locking yourself in with jump pads 

• Like 2