Riding at -37C

EU_commuter

My 1.25 mile ride to the train yesterday morning was in 2ºF wind-chill (-16ºC) - temp was 20ºF (-6ºC). The wind, 15-20mph, made it hard to stay balanced.

I didn't check wheel temp but it worked just fine.

That's incredible, seems like a really smart well-spoken guy. Definitely a testament to how pleasant and hardy the Canadian people can be.

I don't know if I could last 20+ minutes in that weather going 15-20 mph...I went for a ride yesterday  and it was 20 degrees F with 20-25 mph winds.....I hit 29 mph on my Tesla for about a minute and my legs started trembling from the combined wind chill (then again I only had thick jeans and skate shoes on). I pushed through it and averaged 20 mph, but there were some points where my legs just wanted to give in, that was a scary feeling. It was only a 2.5 mile ride and I was glad for a rest indoors before the return trip.

Edited by tenofnine

I've ridden some cold days in Winnipeg this winter on my V8, and the weather is fine if you dress for it. My commute takes about 22-25 minutes in winter. The main issue I've had is with the skin around my eyes--I need to get better goggles. As some have said, "there is no bad weather--only inadequate clothing." I don't think you can quite take that to the extreme, but certainly dressing well changes everything. 

• 5 months later...