Smart Watch for EUC w/o phone

Okay, so maybe NOT an euc question, but I'll excuse myself. The ONLY reason I am even trying 'watches', is so I can monitor the wheel and tryout the euc world app.  My first roadblock is that the smart watch I have (fossil sport), immediately upon power up, is asking me to connect to a damn phone. I dont have a damn phone, dont want a damn phone, resent the very freaking idea! So, is this just something they all do? Is wifi not a typical part of these and you cant just grab a net connection and then disable it when done? I thought an OS integrated watch, didnt require much outside equipment. Do they just ship with no os, and a phone is the only way to put one on it? Can I use someone elses phone and then just 'unbind' the damn thing, it still working? Im sure my ingorance is showing fairly well. SOrry to brring up such a non-euc topic. I'll conitune to scour google, but Im confident someone here knows this off the top of their head...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
proof reading can only be done AFTER posted, of course!

At this stage yes. The smart watch is just another way of accessing the functionality of your phone. There’s not much more independent smarts aboard these things than you’d find on a fit bit.

You could get yourself a cheap android, get it going with wheel log and then do your best to forget it exists. Tape it to your wheel or something...

They do require phone for initial setup, but once you do that, you can just use it without phone, on WiFi (or cellular, if it has it). So, yes, you can use somebody else's phone to set it up, but you better have your own Google Play account to install apps and not to receive your friend's emails.

Damn, I was hoping this want the case. I was hoping for just an easy solution for speeds and battery, nothing more. It definitely isnt worth tapping into the monster of google and having to d**k with a cell phone. I do have a google email since youtube and others dont allow any other way, but I havent ever used it and surely dont want to tie it into a device with microphones, gps and other data tracking. I guess I'll just return it and go back to thinking about how the lure of all this stuff is almost enough to give in to the monster it shall inevitably become.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Maybe there's a way to set up a Wear OS watch without any account, similar to how you can use any Android phone accountless? If anyone knows, please share. Meanwhile, I use my $20 LG Phoenix 4 accountless with great success for riding - I just sideload Wheellog. Maps can be used on WiFi, or use offline maps. It's fantastic.

• Like 1

I won't give up hope just yet. I'm just looking for a small and cheapish solution to a speedometer and fuel guage. Hell, maybe velcro a damn burn phone to the euc, and just mod it to limit the hardware I DONT want it to access. Maybe theres a workaround for the fossil, but maybe not. Thanks again!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
I LIke Pie