My Tire bursted out what do I do? (Newbie EUC rider)

Lucid Watermelon

Hi! Newbie EUC rider here,

I've recently bought a InMotion V5f as my first EUC, and it's been a week since I got it , it is very nice so far, I've been using it to go to school and work.
The thing is, I did not see the height difference between the edge of the sidewalk where I was and the road as I was distracted for some reason, so my tire bursted out, fortunately there were no cars behind me and I didn't fall, and I had protections, so we're gucci.

My question is, how do I replace my now bursted tire? Where do I buy them? Do I buy the same tire or do you have any better reccomendations?

I also took pictures of what was written on the tire, I don't know what they mean or what they should represent, but I thought it would be useful.

5UNdZqM.png OXDDSwy.png

MIN.40 - MAX.65 p.s.i 2.8 - 4.5 bar    280 - 450 kPo

9Sp3QqV.png pEqD0bk.png

KENDA     K924 - 014    Direction --------->

fFZNWvn.png

(54-254)   14x2.125

Also, what kind of general tip do you have for a Newbie EUC rider 

Thank you so much for reading! 

No idea. Keep in mind that there are two sizes - for bicycles and for scooters.
14/2.125 for scooters is way bigger than 14/2.125 for bicycles. You probably want the one for bicycles.

As for which tube... Experiment. :) They are cheap. One will fit.
Also, valve probably doesn't have to be bent. A bicycle valve is very short, it will probably fit inside the chassis anyway.

Welcome!

A few others have punctured their tires as well, so you will find a lot of info by searching the forum.

Like bicycles, EUCs have a separate inner and outer tube. If the outer tube doesn’t seem specifically torn, you’ll be fine just replacing the inner tube. Suitable tubes (14x2.125, forward bent valve) are sold in most EUC shops. You can also buy a tube from Amazon/Ebay/Aliexpress, but take good care to choose a tube with a correctly bent valve, since regular valves won’t fit in the V5f.

Once you have the correct tube at hand:

1) Open up the wheel to get to the tire: Search for videos or written guides on how to replace the tire/tube on your specific EUC. General disassembly guides will work too, just don’t disassemble anything you don’t need to for just a tire change.

2) After that it’s just like replacing a tube in a bicycle. Use enough dish washing liquid as a lubricant and proper steel core / plastic coated tire irons and you should have no problems getting the outer tube out.

Don’t pull the tire out or back in with a screwdriver or anything else that’s sharp! You will likely puncture the new tube as well.

3) Before inflating the new tube completely, only put a bit of air in and rotate the tire. You’ll see that some sections are further out than others. Push and pull the tire so that the tire runs somewhat evenly, then again pump only a few pumpfuls and repeat the centering process.

The last part is a good step to do because the EUC rims don’t have a pronounced edge to seat the bead of the outer tire, and it is easy to get it inflated a bit lopsided. This could cause thumping or wobbles, so it’s best to center the tire while working on it already.

If you can’t find any guides, just ask and we’ll try to help you get started.

If replacing the inner tube on a bicycle sounds like it’s way out of your league, you could try to locate a local EUC shop or other local riders that could help you out. Shipping the wheel to an EUC shop of course works too, but might be a bit costly.

1 hour ago, atdlzpae said:

Keep in mind that there are two sizes - for bicycles and for scooters.
14/2.125 for scooters is way bigger than 14/2.125 for bicycles.

Luckily they are at least supposed to write differently: 14x2.125 is a bicycle standard, 2.125/100-10 would be a motorcycle tire of the same size. I don’t think that size exists in motorcycle tires, so you probably don’t have to worry about this.

1 hour ago, atdlzpae said:

One will fit.
Also, valve probably doesn't have to be bent. A bicycle valve is very short, it will probably fit inside the chassis anyway.

A straight valve doesn’t usually fit smaller EUCs, since already  the motor cover is on the way. And the wheel cavity really is narrow enough that a straight valve very rarely fits. It doesn’t fit even a 16S, and seeing how tight the V8 is, I’m pretty sure the valve has to be bent appropriately for the V5F.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

A straight valve doesn’t usually fit smaller EUCs, since already  the motor cover is on the way. And the wheel cavity really is narrow enough that a straight valve very rarely fits. It doesn’t fit even a 16S, and seeing how tight the V8 is, I’m pretty sure the valve has to be bent appropriately for the V5F.

Usually. I was able to find a bicycle tube that fit my KS16S. Interestingly, the straight bicycle valve was shorter than the stock bent one. :)

On 1/15/2020 at 8:34 PM, mrelwood said:

Welcome!

A few others have punctured their tires as well, so you will find a lot of info by searching the forum.

Like bicycles, EUCs have a separate inner and outer tube. If the outer tube doesn’t seem specifically torn, you’ll be fine just replacing the inner tube. Suitable tubes (14x2.125, forward bent valve) are sold in most EUC shops. You can also buy a tube from Amazon/Ebay/Aliexpress, but take good care to choose a tube with a correctly bent valve, since regular valves won’t fit in the V5f.

Once you have the correct tube at hand:

1) Open up the wheel to get to the tire: Search for videos or written guides on how to replace the tire/tube on your specific EUC. General disassembly guides will work too, just don’t disassemble anything you don’t need to for just a tire change.

2) After that it’s just like replacing a tube in a bicycle. Use enough dish washing liquid as a lubricant and proper steel core / plastic coated tire irons and you should have no problems getting the outer tube out.

Don’t pull the tire out or back in with a screwdriver or anything else that’s sharp! You will likely puncture the new tube as well.

3) Before inflating the new tube completely, only put a bit of air in and rotate the tire. You’ll see that some sections are further out than others. Push and pull the tire so that the tire runs somewhat evenly, then again pump only a few pumpfuls and repeat the centering process.

The last part is a good step to do because the EUC rims don’t have a pronounced edge to seat the bead of the outer tire, and it is easy to get it inflated a bit lopsided. This could cause thumping or wobbles, so it’s best to center the tire while working on it already.

If you can’t find any guides, just ask and we’ll try to help you get started.

If replacing the inner tube on a bicycle sounds like it’s way out of your league, you could try to locate a local EUC shop or other local riders that could help you out. Shipping the wheel to an EUC shop of course works too, but might be a bit costly.

Hello, can you please help me to find somebody to replace the inner tube for KS16X in Helsinki ASAP?

Best Regards,

Timur

I've gathered up some courage and opened up my EUC and did everything alone, unfortunately, the seals I bought for  the holes weren't strong enough,  I'll buy stronger ones tomorrow now  that I clearly know what is the problem and I'll buy a new inner air tube with a more bent valve, the one I bought wasn't bent enough X_x

Thank you everyone for the answers !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not all angled valves will fit. They have to be angled in the same direction as the tube and located on the centerline. I got a tube where the valve points 45 degrees or so sideways and it's impossible to use. When seated on the inside of the rim it scrapes the shell. Furthermore, some innertubes are so thick so you can't even twist them to get the valve pointed in the right direction. It means that if the valve sits a bit to one side, and mounting in a direction so it comes closer to the rimvalve hole, it could end up pointing against the rotation.  Turning the tube around to try and mitigate wouldn't work because it's too stiff and can't be twisted in place.

Some tubes are pliable and with in-line valves on the centerline so you can get it either way. But some are not. 

If the tube punctured around the valve check for sharp edges and use talcum powder or similar when mounting the replacement. If the valve isn't nicely routed through the rim you will stress it after inflation. 

• Like 1