winterwheel

How many of us are there?

233 on a Paris meet agrees with my estimate of "1 in 50000" in "developed Western world". (12.5M metro population / 50000 = 250)

I wouldn't trust that 10000 V8's number from IM. First, it could easily be just marketing BS. Second, it's suspiciously round. Not 8700, not 11200, it's 10000! I call BS on Inmotion.

Edited by Aneta

11 hours ago, winterwheel said:

They only contacted me yesterday and they want to do the interview outside so they can show me riding around in -35c temps and get the story on the news when winter conditions are newsworthy.

Good luck tomorrow! :thumbup: I’m sure the news could create some fake snow for your interview. ;)

49391973236_0b6f8e2f70_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Aneta said:

233 on a Paris meet agrees with my estimate of "1 in 50000" in "developed Western world". (12.5M metro population / 50000 = 250)

I have no idea how you could possibly assume that all existing wheelers would go to the same single meetup, really, no clue whatsoever. You never organized a party for more than a dozen people ever? Oh, apart from confirmation bias, of course.

I wouldn't trust that 10000 V8's number from IM. First, it could easily be just marketing BS. Second, it's suspiciously round. Not 8700, not 11200, it's 10000! I call BS on Inmotion.

AKA confirmation bias. The number is not and has never been 10,000. I wrote and meant "more than 10,000". The original source is not an official InMotion channel (re: marketing), gave a more precise number above 10,000, and is considered as trustworthy by most of us. As I don't know for sure how sensitive this information was I let the source decide where to go from here.

Edited by Mono

Paris/France does seem to be an anomaly. It's probably more like 1:10000 than 1:50000 in France. In general, Western Europe should naturally have higher % of people interested in hoverwheels than the US, simply because of a) 2-3x higher gas prices; and b) much denser urban infrastructure - America is much, much, much more spreadout.

Perhaps, something like 5000 riders in the US, 2000 in France, 2000 in the rest of Western Europe, 1000 in the rest of the world. 10000 total worldwide.

100K number just doesn't reconcile with relatively low activity in second hand sales. 17 results on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=electric+unicycle&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3000

One on Craigslist in LA: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=electric unicycle&sort=rel

Not terribly many on private sales forum here, either. It just doesn't add up to match 100K number.

5 hours ago, Aneta said:

Perhaps, something like 5000 riders in the US, 2000 in France, 2000 in the rest of Western Europe, 1000 in the rest of the world. 10000 total worldwide.

I just checked the French forum, 'Esprit roue' and it has 6744 users. So I guess 2/3d's of them must have retired and everyone must be on the forum !
Also I'm reasonably sure we are at least 2000 in Belgium, so that leaves absolutely nobody for the rest of Western Europe...

2 minutes ago, Tazarinho said:

1000 in the rest of the world.

I'd say Russia, China, Korea and perhaps Australia have at least a thousand each.  I wouldn't be suprised if China had more riders than any other country. All those shops connected to Ali Express don't only exist for those few Western riders ordering online.

Also when I watch Mr. Flex' videos, it's surprising what number of riders he encounters in a place like Thailand for example.

I think income is one factor, legislation is another. In Western Europe it tends to be stricter, as well as some places like Singapore etc...

"'Esprit roue' and it has 6744 users"

Forum membership is cumulative, those who try hoverwheels and give up and are no longer active riders, remain in the number of users. Also, that forum has subforums for e-scooters, e-bikes, hoverboards, segways, etc. - same as here. Lots of "dead users", like here.

11 hours ago, vasuvius said:

I don't hide my tours but my red dot hasn't shown up on the euc world map :-(

If you have set tour tracking to start automatically after app connects to the wheel, they won't be published on the main page even if you have set your tour to be "Visible to anyone". This is to protect your privacy and avoid situation in which your location would be inadvertently published just because you started app and it connected with your EUC. To track tours in public mode (tour visibility set to "Visible to anyone") you have to start it manually.

"Visible to me" and "Visible to people having link" are private modes and the only difference is that the latter will allow you to share your tour with other people by sending them link to the tour. So for example when you start tour tracking in "Visible to people having link" (this mode is used for automatically started tours) you can then share it with your wife, so in case of any accident she will be aware of your latest location etc.

Edited by Seba

2 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

I'm really missing the downvote button.

Haha, I keep looking for it. I'm new, so I just assumed it was purposely missing. Hell, maybe its best, so we can all just assume noone thinks our opinion is uber retarded.

3 minutes ago, Seba said:

This discussion reminds me the one about African Swallows and their weight-lifting abilities... 

Nailed it! :laughbounce2:

Ballpark estimates are just that - ballpark, i.e. you just need to guess the order of magnitude (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_magnitude) of the number; so, for 10K estimate, adding 1000 in China, Korea, Australia each won't change its order of magnitude which is 4 (1.0x10^4). 100K is the next order of magnitude (1.0*10^5).

100K of active riders means at least 100K active wheels which have a limited lifespan, need/want to be replaced every 2-5 years, need constant maintenance like tires, etc. My feel for number of questions 100K of active riders would generate on the forums about how to change tire, how to disassemble, various issues with hoverwheels, etc., as well as number of secondhand sales every year far, far exceeds what we observe here and on other platforms, there's just not that much activity going on. So, I think 4th order of magnitude is still more realistic than the 5th.

59 minutes ago, Aneta said:

My feel for number of questions 100K of active riders would generate on the forums about how to change tire, how to disassemble, various issues with hoverwheels, etc., as well as number of secondhand sales every year far, far exceeds what we observe here and on other platforms, there's just not that much activity going on.

You can easily find disassembly instructions for everything. Second hand sales are usually done on external sites, such as ebay.com or olx.pl. Thus, it's normal that 99% of forum's users are lurkers or completely unregistered. :)

Edited by atdlzpae

1 hour ago, Aneta said:

My feel for number of questions 100K of active riders would generate on the forums about how to change tire, how to disassemble, various issues with hoverwheels, etc.

All questions have already been asked and answered multiple times. Many people are smart enough to google for the issue, and they will likely land directly at the solution right here. Several orders of magnitude faster than to register and ask.

15 hours ago, Tazarinho said:

I just checked the French forum, 'Esprit roue'

Good thinking :)

and it has 6744 users.

Kind of more than I would have expected. BTW, where can I find the number of members in this forum here?

EDIT: I did a quick check, a non-negligible number of newer users at Esprit roue may own scooters rather than EUCs. The number of messages though seems to be EUC dominated.

Edited by Mono

42 minutes ago, Mono said:

Good thinking :)

Kind of more than I would have expected. BTW, where can I find the number of members in this forum here?

EDIT: I did a quick check, a non-negligible number of newer users at Esprit roue may own scooters rather than EUCs.

MEMBER STATISTICS

Total Members

Since I am on a mobile I can't format above post better, but the figure, that is in this forum. 

Then you have a Russian forum too at ECOdrift. 

But how many that made accounts on different forum that are the same person isn't that easy to list. 

I guess there are a Spanish or Portuguese forum too, as it seems a fair amount of Inmotion in Brazil from what I have seen on WhatsApp chatgroup. 

11,395 - the vast majority of these is non-active on the forum. Typically, there are 20-50 logged in members on a good day, and they are the same every day.

True, I am more likely to give up the forum than the riding. Sorry guys...

I know it's all anecdotal but the numbers are going up here in Washington DC. Yesterday riding home I saw two people I've never seen before. One was decked out in protective gear and a full-face helmet. It was a bit dark by then, didn't recognize his ride. I saw the second on the Metro platform at NoMa, he had a InMotion V10. Tall guy in a suit and overcoat, no protective gear. Tonight I looked out my window and saw someone riding an EUC down the street. Prior to this I have seen another EUC in downtown DC maybe five times in a year, except in meetups.

7 hours ago, winterwheel said:

In the end they didn't use the number for the story because it wasn't specific to winter commuting. Still, I plan to keep using the numbers when I talk to people in other settings. In any event, I posted a link to the story in the 'in the news' section. On second thought, I'll put it in here as well:

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/one-wheeled-wonder-edmonton-man-rides-electric-unicycle-in-37c-weather-1.4771029

Great story! :thumbup: I have to share it on my blog for Polish community. This year we don't have any winter here, but it's the same with me - I ride everyday in every conditions. And I love it!