First - Last mile commute

vasuvius

After about 6-7 practice sessions on the wheel, I felt that I was ready to try commuting.

This morning I rode 1.25 miles to the train station and then 0.75 miles from the train to my office. All in all it went well.

Just a few observations:

1. It's dark at 6:40am and the lights on the KS-14D are simply not enough to see obstructions on poor roads. I need to put my bike headlamp on the helmet.

2. The 14D crosses railroad tracks just fine. I didn't even notice it.

3. The wheel is bigger that I thought - it just barely fits between my legs when seated in the train. 

4. People / pedestrians are the biggest danger. You never know when someone will turn around or step backwards without looking.

I made it to work safe and unscathed. The return journey could be interesting as it is likely to rain.

• Like 3

I commute daily and usually carry a flashlight in one hand when it’s dark. It’s easier to maneuver and helps with flashing side mirrors on cars, directing traffic, etc. I suggest getting a flashing vest or alike so people can spot you more easily. 

• Like 2

I want to keep my hands free for any contingencies. My bike helmet light also has a tail light.

When I commute on the bike, it's great to be able to turn my head and have the helmet light hit the driver at face level. I think the height while on the wheel will be similar. I'm going to try that next.

I was stupid enough to not wear the helmet today or any other protection. Need to remember the helmet at the least.

3 hours ago, vasuvius said:

People / pedestrians are the biggest danger. You never know when someone will turn around or step backwards without looking.

It's the opposite; you're the 2nd biggest danger to pedestrians. That is, pedestrians don't knock each other down especially on sidewalks, but pedestrians are knocked down by people who aren't pedestrians.

You could ride on the street, but then you could be knocked down and killed by drivers, somewhat akin to you knocking down pedestrians. And then the driver will complain that you weren't looking.

Edited by LanghamP
  • Like 2

GREAT to hear VAS! I had a feeling those tracks and curbs would be more a mental challenge than anything. Keep looking out, no matter whos fault, YOU will most likely be blamed for any incidents.

Perhaps its true that people dont knock each other down often, but its not because they are paying attention, it just usually ends up in getting bumped and not falling. Watch the sheeple on their phones, as they change directions, NEVER bothering to look up and see if anything is coming(yes im also looking at you, EUC rider with a filming addiction). Pedestrians are complacent and are the biggest danger....  Of course, an EUC is more likely to injure a person. SO if 'danger' is categorized as INJURY, rather than just a danger of being bumped on foot, you are entirely correct. If danger is categorized as ANY unwanted contact between two people, I fear the zombies win.  Of course, we ALL know that drivers on phones (handfree or not), win the danger race by miles!  I often wonder.... how many devices can fit on a windshield, BEFORE you cant see out of it and it becomes a storage location. OR, its a matter of perspective and Im just completely full of SH**. The scooter near the end is my fav! Notice how they all go right back to the same behavior that caused the incident. SPeaks volumes... Same with the look of blame on their faces.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

It's the opposite; you're the 2nd biggest danger to pedestrians. That is, pedestrians don't knock each other down especially on sidewalks, but pedestrians are knocked down by people who aren't pedestrians.

You could ride on the street, but then you could be knocked down and killed by drivers, somewhat akin to you knocking down pedestrians. And then the driver will complain that you weren't looking.

Thank you for that wonderful and enlightening breakdown, lmao. 

Gonna go curl up on a ball and reflect on my past now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Of course, we ALL know that drivers on phones (handfree or not), win the danger race by miles!  I often wonder.... how many devices can fit on a windshield, BEFORE you cant see out of it and it becomes a storage location. OR, its a matter of perspective and Im just completely full of SH**. The scooter near the end is my fav! Notice how they all go right back to the same behavior that caused the incident. SPeaks volumes... Same with the look of blame on their faces.

I personally find the distracted driving so much funnier because both the cost of damage and injuries is so much greater (there's some cyclists also).

However, here's another video of enforcing distracted driving.

I even wonder if distracted driving laws is possible to enforce. I personally believe just dropping the speed limit to 20 mph (which still hurts like hell), requiring all private vehicles to have low hoods, and just chucking crashed drivers onto a bicycle that they are then required to put 100 miles on (no fines, no court dates) would enable people to be calmer and better drivers. Want to text and drive? Fine. Just don't get into a bad crash.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I ride on the streets. Don't like the sidewalk. Pedestrians walk on the streets too - we're talking about the metro-NYC area where everyone walks without looking. I biked into NYC and Brooklyn for a while to get to work - every crash was a pedestrian, walking backwards whilst taking a selfie on the streets, or stepping into the middle of the street whilst looking at their phone

I primarily commute on my motorcycle or bicycles year round - 45 mile round trip. The train is a 3rd option and this is where the EUC comes in as a last mile commute contraption.

Traffic in the northern NJ / metro NYC area is horrible. I just refuse to drive to work as it's faster on my roadbike. I don't think I'll ever commute the entire distance on an EUC as there are a couple spots with highway entrance/exit ramps and I need to be in the middle lane when on the roadbike.

I am far less worried about cars and other automobiles than humans walking on the streets. They are the biggest danger. You can tell that to Heisenberg.

1 hour ago, vasuvius said:

I primarily commute on my motorcycle or bicycles year round - 45 mile round trip. The train is a 3rd option and this is where the EUC comes in as a last mile commute contraption.

Traffic in the northern NJ / metro NYC area is horrible. I just refuse to drive to work as it's faster on my roadbike. I don't think I'll ever commute the entire distance on an EUC as there are a couple spots with highway entrance/exit ramps and I need to be in the middle lane when on the roadbike.

I am far less worried about cars and other automobiles than humans walking on the streets. They are the biggest danger. You can tell that to Heisenberg.

We live in such extremely different places, I find it quite interesting to hear about. I couldnt fathom living in a city again, especially one very large. COmmuting to a city is just as bad, I wont have it. Out here, the biggest danger is of course old people in trucks and cars in these old 2 lane with no shoulders, or deer. We hit about 1 deer/bear a year. Nearest grocer is at least 1/2 hour drive away. Only trains around here are carrying coal and wood chips...

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

We live in such extremely different places, I find it quite interesting to hear about. I couldnt fathom living in a city again, especially one very large. COmmuting to a city is just as bad, I wont have it. Out here, the biggest danger is of course old people in trucks and cars in these old 2 lane with no shoulders, or deer. We hit about 1 deer/bear a year. Nearest grocer is at least 1/2 hour drive away. Only trains around here are carrying coal and wood chips...

My town is all single lane super narrow roads. And we do get deer in this urban concrete jungle. There is no dearth of blue haired ladies in cadillacs armed with their smart phone trying to take down motorcyclists and cyclists as they type with one finger whilst driving ;-)

The ride home in the rain was uneventful. 

I ride on the streets. Don't like the sidewalk. Pedestrians walk on the streets too - we're talking about the metro-NYC area where everyone walks without looking. I biked into NYC and Brooklyn for a while to get to work - every crash was a pedestrian, walking backwards whilst taking a selfie on the streets, or stepping into the middle of the street whilst looking at their phone

Most of NYC's sidewalks were cut in half and repurposed for car storage (cars are parked 97% of the time).

But not only did they push the pedestrians out of the road, invent jay-walking to ensure that they stay out of it, but then they stole the sidewalks. This extraordinary photo by John Massengale is shot from the same vantage point as an archival shot. The buildings have lost their light wells and their stoops, and all of their entrances would have been changed internally.

Typically in NYC 95% of people are confined to 15% of the public area devoted to sidewalks and streets. 

Hilariously, this bicyclist thinks he's being a hero, when you see most of the car lanes only carrying 5% of the throughput but holding 80% of the bridge.

Edited by LanghamP

am far less worried about cars and other automobiles than humans walking on the streets. They are the biggest danger. You can tell that to Heisenberg.

We have much to fear from pedestrians. They seem to injure and kill a lot of these poor drivers.

4 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Most of NYC's sidewalks were cut in half and repurposed for car storage (cars are parked 97% of the time).

But not only did they push the pedestrians out of the road, invent jay-walking to ensure that they stay out of it, but then they stole the sidewalks. This extraordinary photo by John Massengale is shot from the same vantage point as an archival shot. The buildings have lost their light wells and their stoops, and all of their entrances would have been changed internally.

Typically in NYC 95% of people are confined to 15% of the public area devoted to sidewalks and streets. 

Since then a lot of the avenues have been narrowed to make room for bike lanes. The lane closest to the curb is a bike lane on one side and a bus lane or parking on the other curbside. The lane next to the bike lane is a parking lane. That's almost half the lanes not available for automotive traffic. Average speed in the city is roughly around 7mph thanks to the growth of ride sharing apps. NYC needs to introduce congestion pricing or ban cars. Over a 100,000 people ride bikes to work everyday. The legality of electric scooters/bikes seems to be in flux though.

Central Park gets a fraction of the sunlight that it used to 20 years ago thanks to the number of tall buildings that have grown around it. You want sunlight, you need to be able to afford millions to buy an apt higher up.

Or... people could just quit living and moving to such places. Honestly, that stuff looks like the most wretched way to live. Thankfully opinions vary, as if all of NYC moved to where it was nice, it wouldnt be nice anymore. Ive been thru NYC a few times as an OTR driver. You couldnt pay me enough to mess with it again. Still, I am happy that you are happy, even if it just baffles me. Its near an hour out of my hood to get to town. I guess that translates into 7 miles in NYC on a good day.

Lang: sadly, seems a lot of those accident in the vid, were NOT pedestrians fault, specially the cars turning right. But yes, people seem to think that some laws and painted lines are a surety to safety and inattention. When the ambulance hits you, do they just toss you in back? Is it still a $1000 ride? 5:44 WHoop his ass! The end proves that birds may be smarter than humans...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1