Awaiting Delivery for V8

MikeTheCreator

oh wow thank you guys for all the support. I have all my pads and Jason indeed sent me the wrist pads which are very nice. I tried riding for about an hour yesterday, then it started raining. my gosh it was so difficult. I could do the circle spinny thing and I can hop in a straight line for a little bit. Someone recommended using a shopping cart to get started. I am going to try that today. Do you guys have any tips. 

Also, I have that body guard which is really nice but I scratched my pedals up pretty nicely and a slight scratch on my handlebar :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeTheCreator said:

Also, I have that body guard which is really nice but I scratched my pedals up pretty nicely and a slight scratch on my handlebar :(

It is bound to happen sooner than later. Especially on your first wheel. 

If you want to protect your handle, you might find some foam pipe insulator at your local DIY center. That is fairly inexpensive and you can cut it easy to fit and hole for ha dle release button. 

Now on the learning side, great job. I could only train for like 10-15min at a time as it burned me out... Sofa health...partly why I started to ride. 

Edited by Unventor

9 hours ago, Aneta said:

Shopping cart or baby stroller will do wonders, you'll learn much, much faster.

Do NOT use a shopping cart nor a baby stroller! They are death traps.
When you fall and are gripping something the instinct is to hold it tightly. And so you go on your knees, while holding a shopping cart and meanwhile your wheel tumbles away.
I got a scar on my knees (and ripped pants) first time doing that. Without holding the cart I'd have just stepped off.

I sometimes push shopping carts for fun and it's way harder than without. And you need to know when to let go of it to prevent faceplanting.

Also, shopping carts very often can't ride straight, which makes it even more challenging.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 2

I made lots of progress today everyone I went about 2 1/2 hours.I started on the roof of a grocery store and it was empty and there was a wall about 4 and a half feet tall. I was going back and forth along that wall for a while but I felt like I was putting too much of my balance onto the little wall.there was also some shopping carts. This allowed me to go my furthest distance on the wheel. while the shopping cart was kind of fun. It just had me leaning on the cart and it was turning awkwardly at time. I went to the park and found a fence that had a nearby obstacle of about 6-8 feet from it. Having the fence was much better because it was more like a guide and I wasn’t able to really put any weight on it. I managed to glide to that obstacle and back to the fence a couple times.  That felt so gratifying. I wasn’t able to recreate that but I felt much more of a bonding with my wheel. Thank you all again for all the support and tips. With more practice I’ll be like you all in no time. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MikeTheCreator said:

I made lots of progress today everyone I went about 2 1/2 hours.I started on the roof of a grocery store and it was empty and there was a wall about 4 and a half feet tall. I was going back and forth along that wall for a while but I felt like I was putting too much of my balance onto the little wall.there was also some shopping carts. This allowed me to go my furthest distance on the wheel. while the shopping cart was kind of fun. It just had me leaning on the cart and it was turning awkwardly at time. I went to the park and found a fence that had a nearby obstacle of about 6-8 feet from it. Having the fence was much better because it was more like a guide and I wasn’t able to really put any weight on it. I managed to glide to that obstacle and back to the fence a couple times.  That felt so gratifying. I wasn’t able to recreate that but I felt much more of a bonding with my wheel. Thank you all again for all the support and tips. With more practice I’ll be like you all in no time. 

Give me videos, or give me death!

I really love seeing peoples baby steps with these wonderful machines XD. 

It sounds like you made some good progress. I cant even push a grocery cart properly now. Its so sketchy. I actually found a free chair some neighbors were giving away as they were moving, and pushed it home. It felt like my ankles were made of jello. Thought i was gonna die a couple times. LOL. But ay, enjoy this. Soon you'll be like "How did I not know how to do this before?" And then you'll try another wheel and remember immediately, LOL. 

9 hours ago, seage said:

Give me videos, or give me death!

I really love seeing peoples baby steps with these wonderful machines XD. 

It sounds like you made some good progress. I cant even push a grocery cart properly now. Its so sketchy. I actually found a free chair some neighbors were giving away as they were moving, and pushed it home. It felt like my ankles were made of jello. Thought i was gonna die a couple times. LOL. But ay, enjoy this. Soon you'll be like "How did I not know how to do this before?" And then you'll try another wheel and remember immediately, LOL. 

I squat 350 so maybe that has something to do with it lol. I made the video just for you brotha. Here it is Click me! I am definitely feeling like a baby haha. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MikeTheCreator said:

I squat 350 so maybe that has something to do with it lol. I made the video just for you brotha. Here it is Click me! I am definitely feeling like a baby haha. 

First off, what the hec? Lmao. You're way too strong. Cut that out, you're making me look bad. 

And secondly, holy crap!! That improvement ALREADY?! My learning progress was so so much slower on my first wheel. You've already got it! Your balance is amazing. Those circles were smooth. You were free mounting... incredible! You're probably gonna learn to ride backwards before me, aren't you.... Damn... 

Thanks for sharing this! What a surprise XDDD

6 hours ago, seage said:

First off, what the hec? Lmao. You're way too strong. Cut that out, you're making me look bad. 

And secondly, holy crap!! That improvement ALREADY?! My learning progress was so so much slower on my first wheel. You've already got it! Your balance is amazing. Those circles were smooth. You were free mounting... incredible! You're probably gonna learn to ride backwards before me, aren't you.... Damn... 

Thanks for sharing this! What a surprise XDDD

lol thank you so much. What a nice complement. If you are ever in the LA area we should ride together. I rode around the rose bowl today and I took my first fall. I was trying to go down a little decline and lost control and flew off. Luckily I was padded because I didn’t feel a thing :) the inside of my shins are sore from all the riding and my ankles from whacking on the wheel lol. I’m gonna let this heal up. So it will only get better from here right? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 1:17 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Just practice, doesn't matter how, just follow your intuition on what you should do and try. And make sure you enjoy it - you get this only once in life, and learning to ride is one of the best parts of EUCing.

Scratches give your wheel character and an identity:P, and will allow you to find it on a group ride if you put it somewhere with a bunch of other wheels.

I've got to thank you so much for convincing me to get my 18xl. You are awesome and I absolutely love my new baby lol. I cant stop staring at my wheel. Do you feel the same way? haha

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MikeTheCreator said:

I cant stop staring at my wheel. Do you feel the same way? haha

I also can't stop staring at the nice new wheels (like that 18XL) that other people buy:P But my old ACM gets its occasional bit of affection, too.

Glad you like it. Hard not to;) No comparison to a meek V8.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 2:55 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

I also can't stop staring at the nice new wheels (like that 18XL) that other people buy:P But my old ACM gets its occasional bit of affection, too.

Glad you like it. Hard not to;) No comparison to a meek V8.

lol for some reason I assumed you also had one. When do you see yourself getting another wheel? I don't know much about the ACM

46 minutes ago, MikeTheCreator said:

lol for some reason I assumed you also had one.

No, but I tried one. It's a nice wheel (all wheels are nice), just no comparison to my ACM or any modern performance wheel. The danger with the V8 (and why I dislike it) that's it's just good enough (and expensive enough - 1000 is a lot) so it's no longer clearly a "small"/secondary wheel like a 14 incher. So people might get one and think this is more or less all EUCs have to offer, without clear knowledge there's a huuuuuuge step up available. A dead end trap in some way.

50 minutes ago, MikeTheCreator said:

When do you see yourself getting another wheel?

When I have the money to spare;) That 2700Wh 100V Nikola is very tempting, though:dribble:Also looking forward to the 2020 Gotway offerings.

50 minutes ago, MikeTheCreator said:

I don't know much about the ACM

It's still nice and powerful (also a reason why I don't strictly feel the need to upgrade). Compared to the V8, it's crazy how much more oomph-y it feels. And it has a great low form factor, which later wheels seem to have abandoned. Feels like a tank because it's so low and heavy.

@meepmeepmayer said “No, but I tried one. It's a nice wheel (all wheels are nice), just no comparison to my ACM or any modern performance wheel. The danger with the V8 (and why I dislike it) that's it's just good enough (and expensive enough - 1000 is a lot) so it's no longer clearly a "small"/secondary wheel like a 14 incher. So people might get one and think this is more or less all EUCs have to offer, without clear knowledge there's a huuuuuuge step up available. A dead end trap in some way”

Gotta agree with this 100%. Pretty trouble free wheel if that of great importance, but very limited in range, and the small tire only suited for  very nice pathways, and the power level is way behind the “pack average”.

Edited by Old Glider
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/17/2020 at 3:14 PM, Aneta said:

Shopping cart or baby stroller will do wonders, you'll learn much, much faster. Also, use a leash, you will have much less scratches and dents.

I used a walker that had brakes, and a belt as a leash … Also wore shin guards while learning, helps reduce the shin badges ...