There's loads of info out there but it's difficult finding it. If we had a wiki section that was maintained by users then we could build a useful knowledge base that anyone could dip into. Forum users should be allowed to edit pages to keep them up to date. It might be worth having some form of restriction on users to ensure people don't just register and then delete everything. There are loads of topics which could be included but here's a few:

• Guides to the various apps available (Inmotion, KS, Gotway, EUC World, Wheellog etc)
  • User written manuals for wheels
  • Guide to battery management
  • Maintenance topics
  • How do EUCs work

Topics could be added and maintained by users over time.

• Like 3

@Brendan HallidayWould that be using the pages facility offered by Invision Community? Do the permissions allow a group to be set up that could edit the pages? Can you have hierarchies of pages and make it at least look like a wiki?

Would the moderators be OK with allowing us to create a wiki using "pages"? If so then I can ask what information might be useful in the discussion forum. If it gets no feedback then perhaps the whole thing is a bad idea.  If it gets good feedback then we can start with a few skeleton document to help others get started. Finally we can see if anyone wants to write a page (this bit is the crucial bit). Obviously each page should state who helped write it.

I started making a collage of sorts to serve the same purpose months ago, but unfortunately I haven’t had time to continue. Great to see that the idea of a wiki carries on!

Hopefully the people contributing will be comfortable learning if some facts they put in turn to be incorrect. There are a few red topics that seem to split people in how we believe some details to be true. Then again, maybe the wiki is not meant to go that deep into physics etc, so it might not be an issue.

It's impossible for one person to produce everything. People have limited time and they also tend to know more about some things than others. Doing it this way allows anyone to contribute articles or revisions. I don't think we need to go that deep on things but that's up to the folk that want to contribute articles. Can I assume the mods would be OK in creating a Wiki if we supply the docs etc? If so I'll put a post in the main discussion to see what people think might be worth including.

I’m sure other mods still think positively about a wiki. I’m not sure if it is possible to make a new kind of section for it though, so it might have to be just a regular thread.

It suspect it won't work as a standard thread. The information just gets lost, then people stop posting to it, then the thread slowly disappears. Let's see if @Brendan Hallidaycan offer any light on using pages. I think Pages are the Invision Community way of doing wikis. I suspect some sort of permission will be needed to add them unless one of the mods wants to do it. 

3 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I think Pages are the Invision Community way of doing wikis. I suspect some sort of permission will be needed to add them unless one of the mods wants to do it. 

Just took a quick look at this - to add a page admin privileges are needed, mod privilege is not enough :(

I did not look further - some history/archive/backup functionality should also be available, so that one user cannot destroy/delete everything...?

Can the admin just create the initial page and then grant a few people access to just creating and editing pages? Or is it you don't have admin permission?

I'm afraid I just don't think it would work with a thread. What's needed is a hierarchical page structure that can be pointed to from the front page and then edited by people as we go along.  

If using the Pages feature is not a possibility then we could expand the current wikipedia entry for electric unicycles. Obviously the down side is that it takes people away from the forum if they want to find information but I guess they'd have to use google anyway to find the info. The upside is that we could have a link to this forum to channel people towards the forum. Wikipedia is free to use and has complete backups of all edits but there aren't many restrictions on who can edit pages (this is good and bad). You can also set up a dedicated wiki on your server but I'm assuming you wouldn't have access to that. There might be a cost there as well. Opinions?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Can the admin just create the initial page and then grant a few people access to just creating and editing pages?

Maybe? I don't have any real idea of this pages thing. Never seen or used it.

11 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Or is it you don't have admin permission?

Yes - no mod has admin rights. Afaik.