55 minutes ago, kangzy said:

Thanks for the reply. So how do we know that this unit is more powerful than its processors? very interested to hear  

We won’t know for sure until someone can test a production unit, but there are some clues that would suggest Gotway is trying to build a more performant wheel.

1. The wider custom motor probably indicates that they’re using wider magnets and more wiring.

2. The higher 2500W motor rating suggests that the motor is capable of drawing more current than the previous 2000W motor.

3. The larger capacitors suggests that the control board is capable of handling larger current spikes.

4. As mrelwood said, the 7.3A LG 21700 batteries can momentarily produce more current than the old 18600.

Assuming that the mosfets and other control board components have been upgraded as well, the MSuper Pro should perform better than the MSX.

My concerns would be Gotway production QA (Gluegate) and heat. Putting powerful fans in an enclosed case just pushes hot air around. They need some effective way to transfer heat out of the wheel, whether it be by flowing air through the shell or liquid cooling. It’s not like they’re worried about shell integrity - punching holes in the shell to accommodate speakers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Asphalt said:

It’s not like they’re worried about shell integrity - punching holes in the shell to accommodate speakers.

Not to mention the 6 or so holes they punched out and then plugged up on the front and back of the wheel. 

image.png.8f27c5046468ef32c6809c73e4d4df19.png

Upon closer inspection it does look like the bottom 2 holes are doing something and the top "hole" isn't even a hole.

1 hour ago, Flyboy10 said:

Upon closer inspection it does look like the bottom 2 holes are doing something and the top "hole" isn't even a hole.

I asked Gotway about those pseudo-vents. Their reply was somewhat cryptic, probably due to translation issues:

"External circulation system"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asphalt said:

We won’t know for sure until someone can test a production unit, but there are some clues that would suggest Gotway is trying to build a more performant wheel.

1. The wider custom motor probably indicates that they’re using wider magnets and more wiring.

2. The higher 2500W motor rating suggests that the motor is capable of drawing more current than the previous 2000W motor.

3. The larger capacitors suggests that the control board is capable of handling larger current spikes.

4. As mrelwood said, the 7.3A LG 21700 batteries can momentarily produce more current than the old 18600.

Assuming that the mosfets and other control board components have been upgraded as well, the MSuper Pro should perform better than the MSX.

My concerns would be Gotway production QA (Gluegate) and heat. Putting powerful fans in an enclosed case just pushes hot air around. They need some effective way to transfer heat out of the wheel, whether it be by flowing air through the shell or liquid cooling. It’s not like they’re worried about shell integrity - punching holes in the shell to accommodate speakers.

Surely the auxiliary support of the other electrical hardware is irrelevant if the initial power output (current/amps) from the batteries is not there? What i mean by this is what is point of upgrading the control board if there the current/amps is reduced compared to other 4p pack used with the "older" 18650 cells.

Why not use the Samsung 50E and get a continuous current output rather than the" momentary" higher output using LG cells- as continuous power is safer right? If you they used the Samsung 50E with the up-rated control board and upgraded capacitors.. that logically would make sense.

I am not an expert by no means but intrigued to understand the tech and the real benefits of the 21700 cells? 

Edited by kangzy

"the real benefits of the 21700 cells?" - pretty much none for us, end consumers; about 50% less work for the assembly worker. Energy density Wh/kg and current output for given total capacity is about the same as for 18650.

" The wider custom motor probably indicates that they’re using wider magnets and more wiring." - just to point out: none of the hoverwheel manufacturers make the motors themselves; they just order them from huge e-bike motor factories, there's plenty of choices available, with various magnet widths.

"The higher 2500W motor rating suggests that the motor is capable of drawing more current than the previous 2000W motor." - not likely, wider magnets mean more torque at the same current, so 2000->2500W increase most likely comes from wider magnets. I think the picture with micrometer showing the measurement of the motor width was meant to illustrate that the motor got wider.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

The existing holes on the MSX are actually interesting. I also wondered about them and when I checked it out on the back of the panel, it was clear why they were built this way. The holes go into a vertical channel so that air can go in, but on the inside the only hole is at the top of the channel. Why would it be built this way? So that air can go in relatively unrestricted, but water/moisture would have to go up against gravity to enter the case. It lets air in, but keeps water out.

It's easy to look at something and think that it doesn't make sense when we don't know how it works. I'm commenting on the current MSX, not guessing about a future possible MSP. I'm waiting to see the real thing before bashing it.

• Like 3

But the pictures are official! 

I can see the old trolley handle, the lift-off switch, the Speakers, etc. 

It's no speculation. :confused1:

How it rides is not important, if absolutely zero of my wishes are not fulfilled. 

24 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

There seems to be a lot of crying and whining on this forum. "Oh, the new MSPro upgrade has ruined my dreams." 

Maybe wait until we see it in the wild and get some actual reviews instead of engineering guess work and detailed criticism of unofficial photos before you even know how it works. Then when it comes out you can up the level of bitching to a true fever pitch. :crying:   

(flame retardant - deployed)

But the pictures are official! 

I can see the old trolley handle, the lift-off switch, the Speakers, etc. 

It's no speculation. 

How it rides is not important, if just on single wish is fulfilled (100V and at least 1800Wh). 

On 1/13/2020 at 8:29 PM, BecauseFun said:

Speaking for myself, I realize that that while watts may or may not by themselves mean everything, a bigger motor comes along from gotway -- same case but clearly wider, so definitely bigger motor -- it's hard for me to think that performance is going to be decreased, or for that matter, stay the same.

When Gotway went from 84v to 100v there was a definite boost in performance. That's true for the Monster and the Nikola. When I was buying my 100v Monster V3 a few months ago, it was listed as 2500W motor on some websites. When the V3's arrived they were the same motor and control board as the V2 version. No new motor. So there is justifiable skepticism about the 2500w motor figure. It could just be a number on a web site. I love both the wheels, and the motor is great. shrug.

Basically we won't know until somebody can ride side by side. 

Edited by erk1024
  • Like 3

I am just excited to see a new "more better" wheel coming out. These are never going to huge jumps in performance, but any incremental increases can only be good for the consumer. ASSUMING the quality control is good and they don't have a ton on new model issues.

do you agree with us regarding, mudguard missing, dirt/water protection on that side speaker, trolley handle, and cut-off switch aspect ?.....

..........if yes........

please tell them about it.
they should focus also on other things than speed

Edited by Meserias
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

I definitely get your point here, higher wattage can also just be a more inefficient motor. But it is not in this case. 

I've been in contact with gotway for quite a while now, also about newer wheels not announced yet, I'm the only one outside of gotway who knows details about them, according to them, i can't share the information. But the motor in the msx pro is gonna have more torque, because that's what gotway are focusing on at the moment, they have made then fast enough now. But let me say it like this without revealing anything. Something even more powerful will come out just a bit later. I saw the torque ratings. The speed will be almost the same, but the torque will be vastly improved. That is all. 

What a tease ;)

So the MCM5 has more torque than any other wheel in existence and we know that it has wider magnets than any other wheel. Since the MS Pro has a wider motor perhaps it makes sense that it's going to have more torque. Cool.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 6:41 PM, Marty Backe said:

Jason is trying to get one of these wheels in my hands. I can test the range and torque (mountain riding) and I have associates here that have no fear of going fast, so I'll be able to see what this new wheel can do in reality :)

Any idea when that will happen. If for some reason the motor isn't great or that speaker is a problem (i.e with dirt and water). I may just buy the current model instead. Maybe now that the tariffs seem to be gone for wheels maybe the price will even go down. :) 

Edited by scap
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

What a tease ;)

So the MCM5 has more torque than any other wheel in existence and we know that it has wider magnets than any other wheel. Since the MS Pro has a wider motor perhaps it makes sense that it's going to have more torque. Cool.

While what is coming may or may not be better at torque than the mcm5, its better than the tesla at a bigger diameter. Keep this information here, this is supposed to be a discrete tease. Not an announcement. Again. No details. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Shad0z said:

While what is coming may or may not be better at torque than the mcm5, its better than the tesla at a bigger diameter. Keep this information here, this is supposed to be a discrete tease. Not an announcement. Again. No details. 

:laughbounce2: