10 hours ago, Rafal said:

If you not doing jumps, stairs etc. you are good. I also prefer low pressure for w safety and comfort. With low pressure I can do same trial faster and feel safer. Consumption wh/km is a bit higher so for long distance travels I add few PSI and going slower.

as said it's really a rider preference and depends a lot by your style and speed, you feel safer safer in the low side, for me it's the opposite :) wheel is responsive and don't move at speeds

jump and stairs aren't part of this game imho ;)

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Aleksandr Dolgov said:

26 stainless steel set screws 4x8mm per pedal

the angle is the same

Thanks!

If I end up ordering one, the angle is something I might want to change, I like the loose feeling on my 18XL & 16X, and gripping onto the wheel only when I want to, and I have a feeling I won't find that dihedral very comfortable for long rides. But larger pedals are definitely a must!

56 minutes ago, travsformation said:

But larger pedals are definitely a must!

these are longer. but there is a wider version available (i find the default width more than enough though).

you can grind some material on pedal pillars, to make the angle more kingsong-ish , but i wouldn't recommend it.

i have a 18l as well, but gotway's steep angle is much more suitable for offroad abuse and cornering (just dont install pads, otherwise you will need wider pedals)

Edited by Aleksandr Dolgov
  • Like 2

these are longer. but there is a wider version available (i find the default width more than enough though).

you can grind some material on pedal pillars, to make the angle more kingsong-ish , but i wouldn't recommend it.

i have a 18l as well, but gotway's steep angle is much more suitable for offroad abuse and cornering (just dont install pads, otherwise you will need wider pedals)

Thanks! And the angle isn't tiring for long rides (I'm thinking 150km/day, charging at lunch)? Did it take much adapting to you coming from a KS?

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

Thanks! And the angle isn't tiring for long rides (I'm thinking 150km/day, charging at lunch)? Did it take much adapting to you coming from a KS?

it is more tiring indeed. but my riding style on gotway is more like mountain biking, so it doesnt bother me.

my kingsong  with xl pedals is more like a commuting/mild-offroad wheel.

More differences come from the wheel itself. Gotway's 3 inch tyre is more grippy hence less nimble, the wheel is heavier and it doesn't want to accelerate and brake at all without pads due to its high torque motor - longer pedals (for increased leverage) and/or pads are mandatory . My first impression from msp after ks18l was 'wtf have i bought' ))

Edited by Aleksandr Dolgov
  • Like 2

it is more tiring indeed. but my riding style on gotway is more like mountain biking, so it doesnt bother me.

my kingsong  with xl pedals is more like a commuting/mild-offroad wheel.

More differences come from the wheel itself. Gotway's 3 inch tyre is more grippy hence less nimble, the wheel is heavier and it doesn't want to accelerate and brake at all without pads due to its high torque motor - longer pedals (for increased leverage) and/or pads are mandatory . My first impression from msp after ks18l was 'wtf have i bought' ))

Based on what you're explaining, I don't think the MSP is for me. I have an 18XL and a 16X, but since I bought the 16X I don't feel too comfortable riding above 40 km/h on the 18XL...once you get used to the 3" tire, anything narrower feels unstable, so I decided to replace the 18XL with something else. I also want to be able to ride a bit faster, so the Nikola and the MSP were my main options. I'm used to the 16X torque, which is amazing even without pads...

A faster 16X would be perfect; an 18XL with a 3" tire and higher speed would also be nice...but neither of them exist 😅

Tough decisions hehe

48 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Based on what you're explaining, I don't think the MSP is for me. I have an 18XL and a 16X, but since I bought the 16X I don't feel too comfortable riding above 40 km/h on the 18XL...once you get used to the 3" tire, anything narrower feels unstable, so I decided to replace the 18XL with something else. I also want to be able to ride a bit faster, so the Nikola and the MSP were my main options. I'm used to the 16X torque, which is amazing even without pads...

A faster 16X would be perfect; an 18XL with a 3" tire and higher speed would also be nice...but neither of them exist 😅

Tough decisions hehe

take your time on a wheel, power output on msp is way higher than any other wheel, probably you need to get used to it and to the 19' tyre. 16x is not even comparable trust me :)

ps: imho nikola is a faster 16x, if it's what you are searching for ;)

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 9:01 AM, travsformation said:

once you get used to the 3" tire, anything narrower feels unstable

I have to disagree. The main justifications for wider tires are shock absorption and traction. Meanwhile in general there are reasons high-speed road bikes use narrower tires while off-roading bikes uses wider tires--wider tires generally have worse maneuverability and much higher rolling resistance which means worse acceleration and worse battery consumption. If anything someone who feels more stable at speed on a wider EUC tire is probably just because the corresponding wheel casing is wider, which some riders use to squeeze/grip the wheel as they go faster, and/or just because the wider-tired EUCs happen to also be the heavier ones with the weight making them feel more stable.

In an ideal world with the advent of suspension we should hopefully start seeing narrower tires again coupled with suspension for street riders--since we're not relying on the tire for the only shock absorption, we can ditch the clumsy wide tires for narrower, more nimble, & more power efficient ones and let the suspension help provide the cushiness.

Edit: bike as in bicycle, not as in motorcycle. Lots of people associate super skinny bicycle tires with the attempt to be more aerodynamic, but I believe the reduction in rolling resistance is far more significant than air resistance.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

Strongly disagree. The main justifications for wider tires are shock absorption and traction. Meanwhile they generally have worse handling and much higher rolling resistance which means worse acceleration and worse battery consumption, and in general there are reasons high-speed road bikes use narrower tires while off-roading bikes uses wider tires. If anything someone who feels more stable at speed on a wider tire is probably just because the corresponding wheel casing is wider, which some riders use to squeeze/grip the wheel as they go faster.

In an ideal world with the advent of suspension we should hopefully start seeing narrower tires again coupled with suspension for street riders--since we're not relying on the tire for the only shock absorption, we can ditch the clumsy wide tires for narrower, more nimble, & more power efficient ones and let the suspension help provide the cushiness.

wider 3' tire handle better in any situation including low and high speed, considering EUC an all general purpose thing we really don't need narrower tires and we are glad they are almost gone :cheers:

once you get used to the 3" tire, anything narrower feels unstable

+1 :thumbup:

• Like 2

. I'm used to the 16X torque, which is amazing

16x is a weak wheel compared to msp. it is just a smaller rim is easier to rotate, still, any kingsong  can be easily cut off (i dont know a correct word in english) /

for instance - try to jump-roll over something on a steep ascent moving at very low speed

1 hour ago, AtlasP said:

I have to disagree. The main justifications for wider tires are shock absorption and traction. Meanwhile in general there are reasons high-speed road bikes use narrower tires while off-roading bikes uses wider tires

Narrower compared to what? I've never seen a road bike with a 2.5" tire! :P

1 hour ago, AtlasP said:

If anything someone who feels more stable at speed on a wider EUC tire is probably just because the corresponding wheel casing is wider, which some riders use to squeeze/grip the wheel as they go faster, and/or just because the wider-tired EUCs happen to also be the heavier ones with the weight making them feel more stable.

No, it isn't just that. I only grip when accelerating hard, not when cruising, and don't mind the wheel wobbling around a little between my legs...the difference is that with the 16X, it doesn't do that. The way the 3" tire handles, absorbs irregularities on the road, etc., makes a world of difference. I wondered what Marty meant when he said "sub-3" wheels are dead to me", now I know exactly what he meant. 

1 hour ago, EMA said:

wider 3' tire handle better in any situation including low and high speed, considering EUC an all general purpose thing we really don't need narrower tires and we are glad they are almost gone :cheers:

I entirely agree, it's much more stable at both low and high speed. After not using my 18XL for a month, it now feels squirrely, like riding someone else's crossover bicycle after riding my mountain bike 

• Like 3

16x is a weak wheel compared to msp. it is just a smaller rim is easier to rotate, still, any kingsong  can be easily cut off (i dont know a correct word in english) /

for instance - try to jump-roll over something on a steep ascent moving at very low speed

Thanks!

That's what's attractive about the MSP...I don't feel comfortable riding either of my Kingsongs at 45 km/h, I'm afraid of a cutoff

I basically want a faster 18XL with a 3" tire and the torque of the 16X (or more) :D

But I need it to be comfortable in terms of being able to do lots of kms on it....and want that torque delivery to be effortless :whistling:

Maybe the Nikola would suit my needs better. Or the Sherman.... :whistling:

Edited by travsformation

1 hour ago, EMA said:

take your time on a wheel, power output on msp is way higher than any other wheel, probably you need to get used to it and to the 19' tyre. 16x is not even comparable trust me :)

ps: imho nikola is a faster 16x, if it's what you are searching for ;)

Thanks! 

My initial dilema was actually between the Nikola and the MSP (I started a thread about it here). Then I started to lean towards the MSP, but now I'm having my doubts because of pedal angle and comfort. And the fact I'm also considering the Sherman :efee612b4b:

On 7/12/2020 at 7:52 PM, travsformation said:

Thanks! 

My initial dilema was actually between the Nikola and the MSP (I started a thread about it here). Then I started to lean towards the MSP, but now I'm having my doubts because of pedal angle and comfort. And the fact I'm also considering the Sherman :efee612b4b:

do yourself a favour and put monster pedals on it, and you'll have the best all-round wheel ever made

Edited by EMA
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, EMA said:

do yourself a favour and put monster pedals on it, and you'll have the best all-round wheel ever made

IMG_20200712_195419.jpg

Niiice! That's a bad-ass looking wheel! 😍

How are the monster pedals out of the box? Do they change the angle or do they need to be filed down? 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Niiice! That's a bad-ass looking wheel! 😍

How are the monster pedals out of the box? Do they change the angle or do they need to be filed down? 

the angle is too much, you need to file the ma bit but it's so easy with a dremel tool, like 30m and you are done

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EMA said:

the angle is too much, you need to file the ma bit but it's so easy with a dremel tool, like 30m and you are done

Thanks! :cheers:

What part do you actually file down, the pedal or the wheel-side pedal "support" ? (sorry for so many questions...) 😅

6 hours ago, travsformation said:

Agree with you there. I love the look of the 16X but I'm heavy so I know I'd run the risk of cut outs. I tried an 18XL and loved the range but I was quite surprised how sluggish it felt to my 16S. Fortunately I don't think I'll be allowed another wheel for a while. The advantage of either of them is that you can take them into coffee shops and people just assume it's luggage but I can easily see myself being asked to leave if I pushed in the Sherman.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, travsformation said:

What part do you actually file down, the pedal or the wheel-side pedal "support" ? (sorry for so many questions...) 😅

File the pedals only. That way if it is filed too much, then it is easy to get new pedals for another try.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, travsformation said:

that's the part you need to file, just i bit maybe 1mm:

IMG_20200709_201014.jpg

• Like 3