2.0 firmware for 16S (and 14" ?) makes it SILENT!

mrelwood

Yes, KS-14M, KS-14D and KS-14S will receive 2.x firmware soon. It has been released for internal testing and its final release has been delayed due to Chinese New Year and coronavirus epidemy. Testing version is available thru KS SoftApp, but I strongly advise against updating to 2.00 testing version because of two reasons. First, there are two distinct mainboard for KS-14D, thus there are two different firmwares - one for KS-14D (older devices) and one for KS-14SMD (newer devices). If you want to make update, please ensure that your device identifies as KS-14SMD in KS app / EUC World / DarknessBot. KS SoftTuner doesn't perform any verifiation!  You have to select correct model and version from list and this is prone to errors. Second, there are several bugs in 2.0 firmware that may cause some problems, for example with speed limits settings. I don't know if they are present in KS-14D/SMD testing versions, but I assume that it's likely.

Because of bugs found in new firmware versions, I consider adding downgrade option to EUC World as a safety measure.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Great info, @Seba! Are you aware if there are notable or even dangerous bugs in the fw 2.01 for 18(X)L and 16S as well?

2.x firmware are safe for riding, don't worry. There are some bugs in features like light control or speed limit settings but nothing that could impact riding safety.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Seba said:

Because of bugs found in new firmware versions, I consider adding downgrade option to EUC World as a safety measure.

You are doing such good work with EUC world. Adding the ability to use EUC world like KS SoftTuner where users can choose between firmware versions (official releases only of course, no testing versions) would be wonderful. I hate it when manufacturers make software upgrades a one way street.

Also maintaining your own firmware repository adds a bit of redundancy in case KS servers are unavailable so thanks for that too.

Now I just need to wait patiently for KingSong to officially release 2.x for my KS-14(SM)D! 

• Like 3

On 2/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, Seba said:

2.x firmware are safe for riding, don't worry. There are some bugs in features like light control or speed limit settings but nothing that could impact riding safety.

Yes, indeed.

For KS16S, 2.01 firmware, I realized:

1 - Default white light on rear instead front light

2 - Second switch outside green light doesnt work anymore

3 - Sometimes switching beetween light modes doesnt work too

Speed limit - I didnt realised problems, 1st alarm set to 0, 2nd alarm set to 0, 3rd alarm set to 34 and tilt back set to 35 km/h.

On 1/16/2020 at 6:11 PM, Gasmantle said:

Thanks Mike, the app does detect the wheel but if I stop it when the graphic is rotating once I restart I end up in the same state.

I have same problem with a chinese KS16S...

did you managed to solve the pr oblem?

Hi @Steven Algoet I still have the same problem.

When I tried to update weeks a go I kept getting nowhere using both my phone and tablet computer, in the end I gave up trying but having just seen your posting I thought I'd try again but still nothing happens.

To be honest I'm no longer concerned, from what I read in this forum updates can be very temperamental and it seems to me that it's little more than updating for no real gain. Why do they insist on updating something that already works fine?

16 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

I still have the same problem.

A few people have reported that the KS app has finally gotten back the ability to update the firmware.

16 hours ago, Gasmantle said:

it seems to me that it's little more than updating for no real gain. Why do they insist on updating something that already works fine?

If you read on experiences and opinions on the 2.0 update, you will soon learn that most riders like the 2.0 fw a lot, and feel like it has transformed the wheel to a whole new level in riding comfort and performance.

• Like 1

I have updated and to tell  u the truth i,m in the minority thats not that impressed.The Ks "whine"' is mostly gone ,the acceleration is quicker but that means i hit the speed alerts quicker and it yelps at me earlier.The lights seem to have a mind of their own now and flash however they want.Changing the wheel" feel", doesnt make it go faster or longer distances and every time u play with the  Ks update part of the app,it makes u want to throw ur phone at the wall! 

I think i,ll download a sound of a motor whine  and play it on a loop through the bluetooth speakers and set the riding mode to soft and then ill have my good ol KS back !:whistling:

54 minutes ago, Daley1 said:

I have updated and to tell  u the truth i,m in the minority thats not that impressed.The Ks "whine"' is mostly gone ,

The high frequency whine is totally gone. But yes - it still makes sounds. Thanks god none causing a tinitus anymore.

.Changing the wheel" feel", doesnt make it go faster or longer distances

Firmware updates can do no miracle - for going faster or longer distances one needs different hatdware :D

and every time u play with the  Ks update part of the app,it makes u want to throw ur phone at the wall! 

:thumbup: i "updated" happily to euc world and my phone stays safe!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Steven Algoet said:

I guess all those who managed to update use a Kingsong wheel, but not a KS wheel (aliExpress version)

What is the difference ? I bought mine from Speedyfeet in the UK and as far as I'm aware all the wheels are the same ?

@Gasmantle, like @Seba says: there is no support on the KS version... So updating is not easy too, and maybe not smart. I once kind of bricked it. There is an dealers app that can fix it. I guess updating it with that app is also possible (not sure if I still have that app)

I only tried the update because I now have a new wheel that I can use if it would fail. 
Maybe I try again in a few weeks. I am used to the noise of the KS16S, and it alerts pedestrians when I go slow on the sidewalk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven Algoet said:

I am used to the noise of the KS16S, and it alerts pedestrians when I go slow on the sidewalk.

Oh, yes... I thought that too... till I try 2.01 update... really amazing. With Euc World App cant go wrong!

Edited by Pedro Capitão
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Steven Algoet said:

@Gasmantle, like @Seba says: there is no support on the KS version... So updating is not easy too, and maybe not smart. I once kind of bricked it. There is an dealers app that can fix it. I guess updating it with that app is also possible (not sure if I still have that app)

I only tried the update because I now have a new wheel that I can use if it would fail. 
Maybe I try again in a few weeks. I am used to the noise of the KS16S, and it alerts pedestrians when I go slow on the sidewalk.

Good advice, I found out I have a KS 16X from china the hard way after buying from a local guy brand new.   If you find that dealers app, I would be insanely grateful as I can not adjust any of the settings on my wheel.

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware there is a difference between a Kingsong bought from a dealer and and imported KS version.

I've been thinking of buying a Mten3 as a second wheel and have considered buying an import from the likes of Aliexpress, it would save me about £300 on UK prices. Am I right in saying an imported one may not be exactly the same as one bought from a dealer ?

If you find that dealers app, I would be insanely grateful as I can not adjust any of the settings on my wheel.

I have seen written that the app would be available with a dl link in an older thread. Some more searching might find it, but it also needs a login which might be harder to find.

Am I right in saying an imported one may not be exactly the same as one bought from a dealer ?

So far KingSong is the only company lowering themselves to this behaviour, so an Mten should be the same no matter where you bought it.

Some distributors offer custom battery configurations on some GW wheels, but that’s it.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

On 2/15/2020 at 10:51 AM, Seba said:

Yes, KS-14M, KS-14D and KS-14S will receive 2.x firmware soon. It has been released for internal testing and its final release has been delayed due to Chinese New Year and coronavirus epidemy. Testing version is available thru KS SoftApp, but I strongly advise against updating to 2.00 testing version because of two reasons. First, there are two distinct mainboard for KS-14D, thus there are two different firmwares - one for KS-14D (older devices) and one for KS-14SMD (newer devices). If you want to make update, please ensure that your device identifies as KS-14SMD in KS app / EUC World / DarknessBot. KS SoftTuner doesn't perform any verifiation!  You have to select correct model and version from list and this is prone to errors. Second, there are several bugs in 2.0 firmware that may cause some problems, for example with speed limits settings. I don't know if they are present in KS-14D/SMD testing versions, but I assume that it's likely.

So far I only saw KS14SMD getting 2.0 firmware. Do you know if older motherboards identified with KS-14D model will also get it? Can we install a beta already for this one?

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Gheorghe Pisarenco said:

Hi, everyone!

I own a KS16S, I have the 1.09 firmware version, how do I upgrade to 2.0? When I check for new version, the app is telling me that I have the latest version.

Tried on old KS app, on the new one and on the Darknessbot.

Thank you!

The solution is the post before yours:

On 3/25/2020 at 2:09 PM, mike_bike_kite said:

They might of removed the update because of the pandemic (lack of possible support in China). It may still be possible to load FW2.01 it using the EUC World app.

Seems you need EUC World (android)

(But this only works with "dedicated" non chinese KS wheels - so (most probable) won't work with aliexpress wheels...)

• Like 1