Nikola seat mounting - any ideas?

gr8ps

I purchased a seat and springy mount with the idea to mount it on the Nikola handle. Now how would one go about mounting this to a handle that is a tad bit narrower than the spring? 

I'd also be curious to see other peoples solution to mounting a seat on the Nikola's circular body. 

Capture3.PNG

I don't have a Nicola. Are you mounting to the part of the handle that flips up? 

It would be easy enough to 3D print a two piece double sided saddle that sandwiches the spring.  Then use two bolts to hold it down. Again 

i don't have a Nicola to look at

Yes, it would be on the handle part because I want to still be able to trolley it around. I don't have any experience with 3D printing - would the printed plastics be robust enough to survive the stresses involved? 

Yes, if done properly. PLA is very strong. The down side is that you can’t leave it in a black car in the Florida sun. No problems in a white car in Tennessee though. It would be less beautiful printed in nylon but that would also be an option. 

I would follow the contour of the handle for 2.5-3 inches , Then saddle-surround the springs (1/2 inch - 3/4 radius from center of spring. Just a big two piece block. You might want it wedged shape to get the angle right. 

It would be easy for someone that uses Fusion 360 to draw up if they just had the wheel and seat to model. 

Edited by RockyTop

Working with what you have. 

Square tubing or C channel parallel to and on top of handle that fits between springs. Use four small U bolts to secure spring to square tubing or C channel. 

A wood or composite spacer could be used for extra height and fit contour to handle. ( paint to match)

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

Yes I have perfected my nikola seat with the same seat bracket normal bike seat + 2 metal hose clamps from home depot with 1/2 x 2 1/2 solid wood as the base wide to support the metal seat bars to sit on top of the trolley handle in the middle strong perfect and the trolley works perfect too 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, EUCSTEVELA said:

Yes I have perfected my nikola seat with the same seat bracket normal bike seat + 2 metal hose clamps from home depot with 1/2 x 2 1/2 solid wood as the base wide to support the metal seat bars to sit on top of the trolley handle in the middle strong perfect and the trolley works perfect too 

Could I trouble you for a picture of it?

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2020 at 1:53 PM, gr8ps said:

I purchased a seat and springy mount with the idea to mount it on the Nikola handle.

Am I understanding that you're going to ride the unicycle sitting down? I am thinking or a replacement for my Airwheel S8 - I haven't known where to look for other small-footprint EUCs.

I'd love to see the photos, too.

12 hours ago, Lavabo said:

Nice setup, but whats the purpose of the middle thing.. its a foam for suspension ?

If you are talking about the V shaped metal it acts as a shock absorber and lets me sit higher so I don't have to bend my knees as much. If you talking about the black stuff on the hose clamps, that's tape to cover up the metal edges so I don't get sliced up. 

• 2 months later...

I used a Kingsong ks18S seat which is almost already a perfect fit for the Nikola!

I just secured it a little more around the handle

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oDboJpba698necR38

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WSGjKzgEz6ytpJzp6

Edited by Eric plam
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I used the spring mount with the bike seat however i discovered with horror pictures of broken spring mounts in Amazon reviews (with people commenting they fell from their bike due to this), so im removing it and just using the bike seat directly. Ill be investigating using the 16x or veteran seat with heavy duty velcro if this doesnt satisfy me.