Decreased battery life with the V10F

scap

I can't seem to get either pedal axle out I have even tried using a punch and a hammer. I am thinking they have to be bent. Only thing I can think of is to cut them off and get new pedals/axle. I am too heavy I guess for this wheel (220 lbs). Will be getting something else soon but was hoping to keep this wheel for learning tricks and teaching others. If I can't ride it tho it may have to go after I get it fixed up. 

ok I got them off... Wow what a lot of work. I had to use penetrating oil and a lot of hammering. What was weird was there were plastic screws at either end that weren't in the video so it looks like they have changed how they are assembled or they added those in when I sent my wheel in for the additional waterproofing. Also one of the washers that go between the pedal and the pedal hanger broke (not sure how guess it got stuck on the axle somehow. Now to get this apart to check the battery. Hopefully it is good so I only have to worry about the pedals. Does anyone know of any aftermarket pedals for the V10 that I could use that would be more durable. Or would another brands fit?

Edited by scap
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, scap said:

ok I got them off... Wow what a lot of work. I had to use penetrating oil and a lot of hammering. What was weird was there were plastic screws at either end t

Hey Scap. Just for future reference those plastic screws you were hammering on are retention screws to keep the axle in place. All electric unicycles use them. Just be glad they weren’t steel like most or you would have destroyed the entire pedal hanger assembly. 

In addition to the 2 end retention screws there is a center one as well. Below is a short video of the entire process. Hope this helps. 

Edited by Rehab1

11 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Hey Scap. Just for future reference those plastic screws you were banging on are retention screws to keep the axle in place. All electric unicycles use them. Just be glad they weren’t steel like most or you would have destroyed the entire pedal hanger assembly. 

No there were steel ones. The plastic ones were under the steel ones. I remove the two steal ones from either end and the retention screw. The plastic ones had a flat end so there was no real good way to remove them. I can post a picture in a little bit. 

Edit: Just watched the video... Looks like the plastic parts I am referring to are supposed to be attached to the steal retention screws... Mine separated. 

Edited by scap
  • Like 1

What I can't figure out is if there is an easy way to test the cell voltages. I think the BMS might be internal to the battery pack. There are several wires that come out of the battery and plug into the motherboard but there are no voltages on them. I don't know that I will be able to check cell voltages but I do feel a little better knowing that the voltage of the pack is right. Also my motherboard has V8 stamped on it and not V10. This was one of the first wheel so they probably reused the V8 design but I am wondering if getting a new motherboard would perform any better than the one I have now. 

7 minutes ago, scap said:

No there were steel ones. The plastic ones were under the steel ones. I remove the two steal ones from either end and the retention screw. The plastic ones had a flat end so there was no real good way to remove them. I can post a picture in a little bit. 

Oh yes Inmotion now I remember that Inmotion does use those little plastic pieces beneath the retention screws. It’s been a year since I removed my V10F pedals. I was just concerned about your hammering process.

Did you remove the center retention screw? The axles should easily slide out with a few taps. 

Edited by Rehab1

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Did you remove the center retention screw?

Yup, because the plastic piece didn't come out with the steal retention screw on all four instances I thought they were the axle. I even shined a light in there and they looked black not white. They were what I was fighting to get the axle out. I don't know how I would have gotten them out any other way even if I had known. 

Edited by scap
  • Like 1

Just now, scap said:

Yup

Great!

10 minutes ago, scap said:

I can post a picture in a little bit. 

I would rather see a video of you hammering on your axle with exasperated comments #%@}$. :P

30 minutes ago, scap said:

Looks like inmotion has new grip tape pedals for the V10 maybe I should try those! https://www.myinmotion.com/pages/parts-and-accessories

Unless I am mistaken you also have the GW Nicola pedal option. I would be interested in knowing what has deformed making your pedals flat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scap said:

Looks like inmotion has new grip tape pedals for the V10 maybe I should try those! https://www.myinmotion.com/pages/parts-and-accessories

I got those on my V10f. They are very nice. They changed the mesh form a little. If it add padel strength I can't say, maybe. Then there is a rubber layer and then grip tape. The rubber acts as a suspension layer, not much  ut it works very well for good foothold. 

I can't help woundering if you have been jumping curb or such. And your weight. I try to avoid high curb jumping. My weight is about 82kg or 90kg with gear. If I do shopping add another 10kg. 

What did your dealer/vendor say about your wheel. Some sort of warranty should apply? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, scap said:

28 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I got those on my V10f.

The new pedal grips offer a greater amount of traction compared to the silicone version. I remember modifying my V10F pedals the day it arrived in 2018.  Not as nice as the current OEM version but they work great. 

49370334837_ed173839fe_b.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

What did your dealer/vendor say about your wheel. Some sort of warranty should apply? 

I did message them (Inmotion USA) but this is one of the first batches and I don't think it is under warranty. I haven't yet gotten a response from them.

Edited by scap
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

The new pedal grips offer a greater amount of traction compared to the silicone version. I remember modifying my V10F pedals the day it arrived in 2018.  Not as nice as the current OEM version but they work great. 

49370334837_ed173839fe_b.jpg

They do look nice. Grip tape is the way to go! ... Even if you have to replace it periodically. 

I have been riding two years  ........ I still think balancing while standing on two little pedals traveling at 30mph seems crazy. ..........  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Unventor said:

I can't help woundering if you have been jumping curb or such. And your weight. I try to avoid high curb jumping.

I go off the curb into the street on occasion but nothing crazy just like 4 inches.

21 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I would be interested in knowing what has deformed making your pedals flat.

The pedal doesn't make flat contact with the pedal hanger is the real problem. There is a 2 mm-ish groove in the pedal.

20200112_140606.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks 

Gotway uses the same design. I had to make shims that bolt to the bottom of the pedal and wrap around into the pinch point of the hinge to get some angle back. It is a poor design. 

Edited by RockyTop

I can tell you this much. My 11.11 purchase of V10f is growing on me big time. At 1250€ (ish) with Inmotion cover is plain rubbery border line grand theft. I ride at 30kmh which it do really good. Today I rode in really bad weather. 3.7mm/h rain with 12m/s winds with even stringer gusts. Since I only have 2km to work range in this weather is not an issue. If I go shopping on my way home the total ride is like 15km/day and I can charge at work. The V10f is good at reacting to city traffic, either braking/accelerating/navigating out of trouble and cars not prepared to how an EUC work in traffic. 

Okey there are a few things I dislike, but that is life I guess. I would like pedal deployment workers like KS16X magnetic system. The trolly handle is okey, but I would like to have less sideways play in it. The lapm is usable, but if it had the KS16X headlamp and KS18L rear/brake lamp before fw2.0 it would be perfect. The new pedals with ruu er and grip tape on top wroks really great. Today I used my Puma GoreTex ankel boots (looks like Vans on the sole) so much grip, yet I could shift feet easy since the whhel is fairly easy to lean at the other leg for support). 

I don't have that much distance yet due to ride length, only about 165km. But I am happy with it. 

• Like 1