KS16S - my 2nd wheel

mike_bike_kite

Thanks for that @mike_bike_kite (can I call you Mike for short?). That was a good read!

Now, you need to get really familiar with your 16S over the next week or so, then upgrade to the new FW that is about to be released and tell us all if it takes it to the next level!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Thanks for that @mike_bike_kite (can I call you Mike for short?). That was a good read!

Now, you need to get really familiar with your 16S over the next week or so, then upgrade to the new FW that is about to be released and tell us all if it takes it to the next level!

Mike is obviously just my first name. The bike and kite part came when both I and the world wide web were quite young. It seemed quite a cool name at the time and covered all my hobbies at the time. 30 years on and I wonder if I should of picked something more mundane. 

I'm looking forward to the new firmware but it would be nice to know what it offers. Silent running? Different speed throttling? Always turn on the rear light when the front light is turned on? Brake lighting? I've also read enough on here to know it might be worth waiting a week or two to see what others think first ;) 

• Like 2

The main difference between KS16S and MSX is stability. You can handle way bigger potholes on an 18' wheel. :) And also MSX handles way better on muddy roads.

Slime your tire! I can't count how many times I had to replace the tube, and opening up KS16S is a chore.

On KS18XL the new firmware makes the wheel more silent and less dynamic (I'm just repeating what others said).

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 1:31 PM, mike_bike_kite said:

My only real issue with the wheel was that it wouldn't balance and unfortunately this is kind of important with an EUC. I tried every combination with the 2 buttons on the wheel, holding it on it's side, lights on/off etc, I even looked in the manual. It turns out you need to run the KS app to unlock the wheel. Maybe this is a security thing, maybe it was just a test of a new owners patience. Kingsong desperately need a simpler app which doesn't request every permission from your phone. I actually found the registration process painful - I'm shown a 4 digit number in tiny writing and coloured to blend in perfectly with the multi coloured background. All this security might make sense if the wheel was locked but it was a brand new wheel. The whole procedure just seemed pointless. 

Congrats on your new wheel!  The lock feature is designed for when the EUC is being shipped or transported.  That way, if someone the power button does get pressed while in it's box, it doesn't go crazy with the wheel spinning up.  I agree they could be more clear on how to unlock it (maybe a big Read me First paper in the box) but I do think there is a good reason to have it locked like that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, atdlzpae said:

Slime your tire! I can't count how many times I had to replace the tube, and opening up KS16S is a chore.

On KS18XL the new firmware makes the wheel more silent and less dynamic (I'm just repeating what others said).

How many punctures have you had in 1300km???? The roads in London are supposed to be paved in gold - do they use nails and tacks in Poland?

Does the same firmware that gets released to all KS wheels? I guess they could have different parameters for wheel size, voltage, battery size, how parallel the batteries are etc. Doing that would seem logical to me but I'm fairly sure they don't as there were all those problems with the 16X firmware but not on other wheels. Do they just change the sound so it's higher than humans can hear? do dogs chase owners with the new firmware? I only ask because I work in software and weirdly I find it quite interesting..

@mike_bike_kite The punctures I've had were not because of nails or anything sharp, but because of hard edges.
The tire on MSX is like a balloon - you can deform it like 4cm before you hit the rim. KS16S is like a bicycle - way less distance between tire and rim.
And so two times I hit the rim too hard (bending it) and damaged a tube in the process.

The rest of my tire changes were my unsuccessful attempts to patch the tube. Overall it was about 10. After third time I stopped putting the glass on, because it's the most difficult part to take off.
And so:
- Never patch a tube - always buy a new one
- Ride carefully - KS16S is not MSX and it's really easy to bend a rim
- Since you're heavy, aim for higher pressures
- Slime!

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 2

Got about 1500 ks on the ks 16 and never had a puncture.It go,s offroad,on road and a bit of trick stuff.Bought Slime early in the journey but to lazy to put it in.Only complaint is the lift sensor stopped working about 2 months in but the new handles have been good.Firmware never been upgraded and if it aint broke ,dont fix it until its been tested by the multitudes and there is a positive benefit.A great all round sturdy wheel!Have fun with your new wheel!:thumbup:

I took mine for a ride this morning and it's definitely much quieter. I seem to have brake lights as well now which is great. I am also a little mystified what all the light settings are now - I used to have front and rear on permanently by taping over the light sensor. Does anyone know what the new settings are? I also haven't quite mastered the horizontal calibration thing yet = - it just seems to lose bluetooth connection when I try the calibration.

4 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I also haven't quite mastered the horizontal calibration thing yet = - it just seems to lose bluetooth connection when I try the calibration.

That means the calibration process has started. When it does:

1) Set the wheel to level as closely as you can, in both left-right and front-back directions. Bubble level tools and apps are useful.

2) Make sure the wheel is and stays exactly put, and press the power button. The wheel gives a few fast beeps, a break, and a long beep.

After that it’s done and you can power on the wheel normally.

• Like 1

Hey gr8 Video @The Fat Unicyclist that shows the difference in noise.I,m not sure that i,m changing because of a slight drop in noise .It s certainly not silent.!Once my speeds up i cant hear the whine anyway and the tunes through the bluetooth speakers drown it out.More interested in the performance aspect of the upgrade.If there is one?I await the next instalment with bated breath.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daley1 said:

It s certainly not silent.!

Yes. But the high pitched whine is gone!

On 1/13/2020 at 12:25 PM, mike_bike_kite said:

I used to have front and rear on permanently by taping over the light sensor. Does anyone know what the new settings are? I

18 hours ago, Daley1 said:

Hey gr8 Video @The Fat Unicyclist that shows the difference in noise.I,m not sure that i,m changing because of a slight drop in noise .It s certainly not silent.!Once my speeds up i cant hear the whine anyway and the tunes through the bluetooth speakers drown it out.More interested in the performance aspect of the upgrade.If there is one?I await the next instalment with bated breath.

Thanks @Daley1 - Looking back it's actually a pretty rough video - but then I only had about an hour to record and edit it. The camera was only about a meter away from the wheel, so the motor noise is exaggerated.

I plan to do the 18XL this weekend (after working out the correct microphone distance) and I might redo the 16S while I am at it...

I purchased a 16S as my second wheel and love it, and been in most conditions including hard rain, mountain bike trails, and used as my daily commuter (35km) for months before I updated.  I suggest slime for the wheel and I now have 4k km without issue and nearly half my tire tread left.  It's basically my grocery store wheel now because of the easy trolly handle but still very fun!  Enjoy!!!

• Like 3