I have a great wife!! Thanks to the people that put up with us!!

RockyTop

23 minutes ago, General Principle said:

Let’s be inclusive and not presumptive and revise it to say “partners” or companions or better halves.

yeah, though I guess it depends. "My wife" or "my wives" seems perfectly fine to me, but I guess it should rather be "our partners".

• Like 2

• RockyTop changed the title to I have a great wife!! Thanks to the people that put up with us!!
8 hours ago, RockyTop said:

@RetroThruster Not yet. I mentioned that i liked the idea of the new  100 volt 1800wh MSX. She said that I should get it. :shock2:  I always feel like it is a test. Yet after 30 years of marriage she has never called me on it. I like the wheels that I have now. But t is tempting. :dribble:

It’s a trap!!!!! :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, musk said:

Perhaps the OP should also be inclusive of those amputees who cannot buy EUC's, or perhaps OP should also account for people who lack the money to buy a new EUC because they're a member of the working poor class.  If we want to pick apart the myriad ways the OP could've accounted for every conceivable marginalized group, we could generate quite a list.

I don't think you have a valid argument here: First, the OP excluded men, but did not exclude amputees or even any other group than non-women for that matter. Second, excluding people with a more-or-less-immutable trait (ethnicity, gender,...) is quite different from "excluding" people that currently do not have a certain amount of money. To refer to "yacht owners" or to "EUCers" discriminates some people from others (e.g. those who could effort it from those who could not) but is not considered "discrimination" :) for a good reason ;)

Just to be sure, the OP certainly doesn't need to fall back to "my partner" when his partner is a wife.

• Like 1

Well I know the unfortunate zeitgeist is for us to feel some kind of offense for some kind of perceived (or, to be fair, real) wrong, to pit “us against them”, “you against me” and blame it all on the republicans or the democrats or the liberals or the conservatives, to believe that all media is fake or that all cops are thugs... I could go on and I’m sure you all have an opinion. To that end, I respect that you do and I respect your right to express it. I’m guessing that in most, if not every, country represented by members herein, freedom of expression and, by extension, opinion, is protected and celebrated. I’m guessing most here feel the same and stating the above is more of a truism. Not at all put off by the OP and the offense at the term “wife” as marginal or expressing adherence to the female gender would run counter to the way quite a few of my friends use the term. I know that living in the SF Bay Area skews the lexicon for words like “wife” and “husband”, but, at least to the alternate universe here in California, wife and husband are not forgone expressions of gender. Although it’s always more fun when someone gets their nose knocked out of joint and we can draw imaginary lines in the stand, take positions and rattle swords. Guilty! :)

PS... I love my wife!!! Thanks for reminding me @RockyTop

• Like 3

23 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I joke about my wife, “the mean old vacuum cleaner lady,” but they are just jokes. She puts up with ME after all. She never complains when I buy a new wheel. ( ....... because I make sure that she always has the best wheel) She hardly ever really complains about anything. (That part really scares me. I just know she is going to snap someday.  - No more Rocky Top!) We are best friends in life and I could not live without her. (Someone has to feed me and keep me from eating nothing but crackers and  peanut M&M’s) Wives are truly great. I don’t know why they put up with us ...... or maybe it is just me. :cheers:

Not all as lucky as you🙄

Now in my case I chose to stay single as it is rare to find that special one that just click together with you (I mean that as me, you, us in general). 

I did choose to get 2 cats to have something alive to come home to. But after 8 years one of them got poorly and she didn't respond to medication, but a week before Christmas I made the hard choice enough was enough. I decided to put her down. Now the other cat (her sister) is missing her a lot (and I do too) but this is the cycle of life. 

So back to your post, what I am trying to say is that you really have to appreciate if you find a good life companion, being wife, husband or pets. 

I am single not lonely, but I would not be able to take my cat to enjoy my EUC passion. If your wife share this with you at some level, that is just great IMHO. 👌👍

Please feel free to share this with you wife.  

Note: I know you cannot compare a pet with a wife, but the big point here, is we all need company on some level. The cat I have left is now bonding even tighter with me so she always sit in my lap, when I am home. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MR BRAD said:

Well I know the unfortunate zeitgeist is for us to feel some kind of offense for some kind of perceived (or, to be fair, real) wrong, to pit “us against them”, “you against me” and blame it all on the republicans or the democrats or the liberals or the conservatives, to believe that all media is fake or that all cops are thugs... I could go on and I’m sure you all have an opinion. To that end, I respect that you do and I respect your right to express it. I’m guessing that in most, if not every, country represented by members herein, freedom of expression and, by extension, opinion, is protected and celebrated. I’m guessing most here feel the same and stating the above is more of a truism. Not at all put off by the OP and the offense at the term “wife” as marginal or expressing adherence to the female gender would run counter to the way quite a few of my friends use the term. I know that living in the SF Bay Area skews the lexicon for words like “wife” and “husband”, but, at least to the alternate universe here in California, wife and husband are not forgone expressions of gender. Although it’s always more fun when someone gets their nose knocked out of joint and we can draw imaginary lines in the stand, take positions and rattle swords. Guilty! :)

PS... I love my wife!!! Thanks for reminding me @RockyTop

Mr. Brad, your balanced and eloquent comments are always a joy to read! I particularly enjoyed the vivid image that the line-drawing and sword-rattling evoked! (Speaking of which: guilty as charged...:))

@Unventor sorry about your cat. Even though we're all aware of how the cycle of life works, it's tough all the same. Pets are companions and family members, so I feel your pain. For what it's worth, I've always found it comforting to focus on all the stray animals that live on the streets and have to scavenge for food in a man-made environment and endure the wet and cold, and think of how lucky my pets have been with their luxurious, indoor, spoiled lives  :)

I currently have a dog, and to circle back to the subject of significant others, my dog and girlfriend take turns at putting up with me. I think it makes it easier for both of them ;) 

• Like 2

Ahh boy. It’s amazing how those firmly entrenched in the dominant culture, class etc clutches their pearls...aghast, whenever an alternative is brought to their attention. Then go into the endless “whatboutisms” smh

I even saw the words “why should we sacrifice” and “no known victims” 🤦🏾‍♂️

FTR no one spoke of the OP’s intent. It’s about simply being aware. Malintent  doesn’t have to be present for actions or words to be potentially dividing or make other feel like they don’t belong. 

I just want any and everyone to feel a part of this. And for those on the outside looking in, feel like they’d be welcome. 

Language and word choices are subtle and powerful. 

This kind of reminds me of a mini controversy on the FB page about who to ban and why.  🤔

Edited by General Principle

3 hours ago, General Principle said:

It’s about simply being aware. Malintent doesn’t have to be present for actions or words to be potentially dividing or make other feel like they don’t belong

We've both made our respective stances clear. How about we both apply what you suggested in the quoted text, word for word? Let's try to be aware that a thread where someone is showing gratitude and appreciation for his wife isn't the best stage for a political debate; that despite the lack of malintent, it's still inconsiderate to shift the focus from "I love my wife" to a self-serving debate on cultural entrenchment or the meaning of empathy (guilty as charged...); that this discussion is the only thing that's dividing in this thread; and that making the OP feel like he doesn't belong in his own thread (no over-dramatization intended) would be a d*ck move on both our parts.

So can we agree that we disagree AND that, in accordance with both of our philosophies, dropping the discussion is the most coherent thing to do? :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daley1 said:

How does an ode to the the beautiful people in our life get hijacked by the "political correctness police"?

“Political correctness “ is a term people use to dismiss ideas that makes then feel uncomfortable. It is a tool used to absolve people from dealing with an issue on its merits. It’s weak.

Edited by General Principle